El Bandito hits two years

El Bandito

2 Years – 24 Months – 730 Days – 17,520 Hours – 1,051,200 Minutes – 63,072,000 Seconds.

On the day I quit, I expected to spend every single minute craving a cigarette.

Thirty years I was a smoker. 

The first thing that I did each morning. Without fail. The last thing that I did each night. Without fail. After breakfast, lunch and dinner. Without fail. Have a coffee? Have a smoke. Without fail. Another beer? Another smoke. Without fail.

Did I crave?

Yes. and No. 

My Addiction wanted nicotine. My Will wanted to quit. 

During the first few months, and occasionally ever since, these two sparring partners have had conversations. Sometimes, out loud. (Usually scaring innocent bystanders!) Will always wins.

Why?

Obviously, I am supremely powerful, with a will of iron. My strength has conquered all.

I wish. <_<

NOPE.

That is why Will always won. 

“Not One Puff Ever, (just for today).” 

The section in brackets is rarely written. However, the reason that folk pledge every day, is because when you quit something, you don’t quit forever. 

Quitting forever is scary. Quitting forever makes you look at that last cigarette with longing, with love and with grief. “Forever” makes you want to put off the parting, to leave quitting for another day, “when the time is right, when I’m not so stressed”.

No, when I quit, I quit for the day. 

“Listen Addiction. Today, we are Quit. Stop whining and whingeing, we are not smoking today. We can talk about it again tomorrow.” Will would say that each morning as I had my morning coffee, which was tasting better and better each day.

Next morning, we would have the same chat. Sometimes, Will even said “Oh Addiction, I’m sorry. I forgot we were going to talk. I have only gone onto quittrain.com and pledged Not One Puff Ever again. Let’s talk again tomorrow.”

Now, I have these conversations less and less.

After 30 years hard, hard work, Addiction is taking a well earned break. He is sleeping for Britain. Now and again, he raises his drowsy head and mutters “Is it time yet?” and Will whispers “Not today. Let’s talk tomorrow.” Addiction goes back to sleep, for weeks, months at a time. 

To be honest, I forget to pledge most days, but occasionally, in honour of my old workhorse, Addiction, I pass by the Quittrain, pledge, maybe say Hi to a few old friends and one or two new ones.

Give or take, I have avoided 22,000 Cigarettes that would have cost me £8,750 or $12,500. I am fitter and healthier. I smell a lot better. The world smells and tastes a lot better too. A huge surprise to me was how different the world looks. Colours are actually brighter (nicotine does actually make the world duller apparently) and colours seem brighter too.

They seem brighter because I look at the world through the eyes of someone who saw Addiction for what it was, educated himself and gently put it to sleep. Not on its timetable, but on mine.

I have not become supremely powerful, nor do I have that will of iron, but quitting has made me powerful, it has made me understand my Will a little better.

Thirty years smoking is not free. The bill is coming. I have damaged myself. What the bill will be? Who knows? When it comes. It will be paid. 

None of us are getting out of life alive folks.

What I do know is that quitting smoking is the best thing that I have ever done. Apart from all of the obvious benefits, it has given me back my sense of worth, my sense of being in control.

Thinking of quitting?

Tell you what.

Just quit for today. 

You might just save your own life.

• Like 12

I have not become supremely powerful

You know, if you'd just put this in your tagline you'd save a lot of us wasting all this time being nice to you.

Ah well, since I'm here anyway, congratulations and happy anniversary! Two years is amazing, in a way it meant more to me than any other. Way to go!

• Like 2

Wow...brilliant written stu.

The time is flying by now...

You have been a massive part of my own quit...I look at the board...and see your name...

Oh here's our stu saying something very positive....or funny....always honest....

Huge congratulations on your two years...

It's been great...its been a pleasure to get to know you....and I love you heaps...

No brackets....errr you kiddin....

((((((((((((( hug )))))))))))

• Like 2

Well that's one job down today then :)

As always, you've said it well...hey, you should consider writing :) 

Your quit has been a tremendous one, it has taken down all and any excuses and dragged others along in it's wake. I would suggest you are as supremely powerful as you want to be with words as your weapon of choice. 

I want to be witty or something but that's your area. My side of this equation always seemed to be the emotive crazy so let's all stick to our remit ....

It's good to have a buddy, everyone likes to feel worthwhile and befriended. This was different though, a quit buddy is a special bond and I often wondered how two very different people could support each other when they are worlds apart but I feel like we did that, each for the other and I'm so very glad and honoured to have travelled the journey with you. You inspire me and others every single day.  So thank you for this friendship because it has meant that we both followed the path to understanding and supporting. It's meant that "will" you talk of had some back up. I can't write more, I'm already 3 tissues into this write up :)

Hoping there is a treat in store for you today!  

Congrats on the most excellent adventure for 2 years!!

x

• Like 2

Well that's one job down today then :)

As always, you've said it well...hey, you should consider writing :)

Your quit has been a tremendous one, it has taken down all and any excuses and dragged others along in it's wake. I would suggest you are as supremely powerful as you want to be with words as your weapon of choice. 

I want to be witty or something but that's your area. My side of this equation always seemed to be the emotive crazy so let's all stick to our remit ....

It's good to have a buddy, everyone likes to feel worthwhile and befriended. This was different though, a quit buddy is a special bond and I often wondered how two very different people could support each other when they are worlds apart but I feel like we did that, each for the other and I'm so very glad and honoured to have travelled the journey with you. You inspire me and others every single day.  So thank you for this friendship because it has meant that we both followed the path to understanding and supporting. It's meant that "will" you talk of had some back up. I can't write more, I'm already 3 tissues into this write up :)

Hoping there is a treat in store for you today!  

Congrats on the most excellent adventure for 2 years!!

x

Ah QB

The ability to talk nonsense fluently makes a Smart-Arse not Smart.

You are the Smarti. Bakon said so. Must be true.

Everyone here, by design or by accident helps the Quit of everyone else. Whether here before I arrived or brand new this week, each and every poster on the QT supports the quit. We come here not just to help others but to help ourselves.

Whenever I felt a bit down, doubted where I was going - you were always there Marti. Sometimes, I even understood you. ;)  

• Like 2