Pre Respond to your own SOS

Jonny5

On 4/5/2014 at 4:03 PM, Jonny5 said:

This is a tried and tested idea I had a while back.

take a moment to write yourself a response to your own SOS.

no one knows you like you know yourself, and if you do post an SOS we can show you your own words, something that you will really listen to.

do it now while you are strong, as we know that when we are weak we can struggle to fight and to find the fight within ourselves.

I'll get this started..

Jonny, what ever is going on that has thrown you into this confusion, please stop and reflect on your achievements and restore that belief in yourself.

You know that you are free and that you have always sought and fought for that freedom, and that your freedom or imprisonment are simply states of mind that you control.

This is another good idea for a successful quit.

It reminds you of why you quit

and helps all of us responding to an SOS.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Dear Michelle,

I love you. Please don't. Please. You don't want to die from a smoking related disease. You want to see Jessica and Alex's kids, your grandkids, if they have them. Imagine telling them and Chris and Lori that you are dying. And knowing it was your own fault. You think about that all the time, even as you're smoking or vaping. Its normalized in recovery but foreign and detested in your family. Side with your family, those who have had your back your whole life. You're so unhealthy right now but you have the power to make it better.

"Yesterday you said 'today'..."

I love you,

Michelle

Edited by MichelleDoesntSmokeAnymore
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

HK - remember life is full of ups and downs and even sideways move. You've been down this road too many times to know that smoking is not going to solve the problem but only create new ones - remember that you are always one puff away from a pack a day and setting yourself up for failure for even thinking about it. Breathe deep - take a walk - carry your balloons high and this too shall pass!! Hang in there girl!! You've got this. - and btw buy yourself a better laptop with all the $$ you're going to save!! You're welcome!

Edited by hellkatbaby
  • Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Dear No Nic,

So you're sitting here planning to buy a pack when you go out to the store this morning with Joni. You have such a baby quit. You're only on day 2 so its  normal to have cravings but you KNOW that smoking is not the answer to anything. It will give you nothing but a new quit date. Remember all the times in your life that you've tried to smoke "Just One"? Where did it get you each and every time? To buying a pack, then another, then another. You can't have "Just One". You never have. When you go to the store this morning, and come home still a successful nonsmoker, you'll feel SOOOO victorious. You'll feel like a nonsmoking BEASTESS. You can do this. You can. Please, please don't smoke.

Buy sugar free gum and candy and some little coffee stirrer straw things to "smoke" instead. Buy treats, not cigs!!

I love you.

Chick

Edited by NoNicChick
  • Like 6

• 1 month later...

Well hello stoopid.

So you want to smoke again eh. You gave up in 1997 for SEVEN years and went back. You didn't need to did you? You'd mastered it and you used some dumb ass excuses for starting again. Then you quit on 22/8/19 and did really well. You'd gotten over the worst of it and now you want to cave in using some idiotic reasoning again.

While you're at it why not sniff some glue as well for an extra kick and drink a couple of litres of vodka a day to boot. 

Do you really want to lose a limb for that stuff?

Ok, lecture to self over. Be good to yourself and just don't do it. There's no need, it's an addiction not a pleasure. When the rush of the first cig has gone, you're just spending a fortune and making yourself ill just to feel normal. The rush won't happen again.

Don't forget what motivated you on 22/8/19 and don't forget how listless you were through lack of oxygen. Don't favour carbon monoxide over the good stuff.

Don't forget you've seen the ultimate effects of carbon monoxide many many times. Stay strong.

Good luck,

Phil (the non smoker)

• Like 10

Christine - That cigarette will not solve whatever problem you're having now.  That cigarette is the CAUSE of problems.  It will not satisfy your craving, it is the CAUSE of your craving. 

Remember why you quit. Because you're always thinking about how many cigarettes you have left and when you'll need to buy some more, you waste so much stinking money on these things, your clothes stink, your hair stinks, your throat is sore, you have too much mucus, you waste precious time sitting around smoking.  Free your mind and your body from this poison. 

• Like 10

• 3 weeks later...

Viv- No no no no no no no no no no no nope nope nope.... there is no need... it doesn't calm you down, it doesn't add anything to your life, the best things in life need work so this is good for you! 

" I didn't come this far just to come this far" 

• Like 6

Viv: You need to understand that this anxious, short of breath, panicky feeling and all the arguments that tell you it is okay to smoke right now, is actually the addiction kicking it into higher gear.. 

It will get worse before it gets better, but it will get better!!! 

Let it kick and scream, you are allowed ti be more emotional, order savory foods, take a longer and hotter shower..

All ypu need to do is stay put and do not give in to the junkie!

I know you can do it!!! Step by step... it's fading

I am okay again :)

• Like 6

• 3 months later...
20 hours ago, Sazerac said:

I encourage all our newbies to post a pre- response to their own potential SOS.

This has been v. helpful when in crisis.

True that!

Writing a pre-respond made me both acountable and more in touch with my initial reasons to quit. In the end its YOU that has to do the job, and only YOU truly  know about your own demons and sabotage mechanisms, and ways to  derail them. The answer has to be obtained within :)

• Like 4

I never did the pre-respond, but I think its a great idea, and  love reading what everyone has written to themselves.

I did however have stern words with myself at times, sometimes out loud and in public haha... but it did the trick, it kept me quit.

Keep giving yourselves your own great advice.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

so you are entertaining the urge to start back smoking.  Stop being a prisoner to your smoking addiction. You are stronger that that. You are worth so much more than your addiction.  You do deserve this. Quit self sabotaging yourself Dont you get it?  There are only two legit reasons to go back to smoking.  

.    1. You want to go back to smoking until it cripples or kills you....or both

.    2.  You enjoyed the physical withdrawal and you never want it to end.

Think back to the day you quit, how were you feeling then about smoking?

How many years did you smoke?  How long did you want to stop?

If I go back to smoking will I even want to quit again?  Will I wish I hadn't of lit up?  When will I quit again?

Is smoking now worth giving up all the work I've invested in stopping?

Will quitting be easier next time?

You know the answer to all these questions but you still ask them. Hun that is your disease doing the talking and thinking for you.  

I can do this.

Remember when your daughter said, " I cant do this".  You told her, "can't never could do nothing".  

Most of all live and think in the right now. This very minute.  I will not smoke!

• Like 7

So you want to go back to foraging in your bag for that lighter and packet of cigs again huh, and you want to end up going to the supermarket only to come out with that packet clutched in your hands and $$$ less in your bank account. So you want to feel happy you can go out and congregate on the corner to feel like you belong, and end up feeling like a criminal. Is this truly what you want? Is this truly how you want to live your life?  You know you will be so disappointed in yourself,  you know you will regret this decision so lets try to rethink this over and tackle whatever is bothering you. You value education so give yourself a certificate of value. and pride as soon as possible my dear heart. Don't go down this road again NOPE

• Like 8

I am so glad to see these pre-responses.  Both of y'all are building strong quits, @forestgreen and @Beachmom23.  It is great to read your affirmations.

45 minutes ago, Beachmom23 said:

Remember when your daughter said, " I cant do this".  You told her, "can't never could do nothing".  

check this out, Beachmom,, "I Can't Quit or "I Won't Quit"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Smokers continue to live in the moment.  During your journey of quitting keep looking ahead to the benefits of quitting.  Every day you get further away from the habit, you gain strength and power.   Both of you can do this.  Just keep reading those responses! 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Lucky ha !

You know how many times you been here and you let yourself down, one more time you let yourself down and this chain wont stop ever.

Dont do stupid things and remember the worst thing is life is "regret".

Try to imagine yourself as one of those old smoking man who can be burdensome to others, remember you don not want to live that stingy life matcha !

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/22/2015 at 9:14 AM, Kendra said:

...my dear, you don't smoke!  so, lighten up...read something funny, BREATHE - AGAIN , AGIAN,  AGAIN and again, again, again

nothing could be worth going back to a fear based life  filled with all manner of nastiness (self-concept~loathing, smelling of ashtray, brazening out what can't be hidden while judging yourself constantly, and knowing people in positions of authority with power to change your life will act based on their perceptions of smoking~You).

YOU GET NOTHIING FROM SMOKING THAT YOU DESIRE IN YOUR LIFE. DO NOT BELIEVE WHATEVER YOUR HEAD IS TELLING YOU. ALL YOU GET FROM SMOKING IS REMORSE, DYING SLOWLY,  SELFLOATHING, REGRET, SHAME, DISCOMFORT AND A SENSE OF FAILING ...yourself and everyone you care deeply about.

keep breathing... LIFE YOU DESIRE IS  happening with FREEDOM....

• you have more endurance and walk joyfully and easily with the cats daily....
  • you have confidence walking into business meetings, trainings - sans smoke scent
  • you are not a slave to addiction   YOU ARE FREE
  • you like & enjoy who you are and how you spend your resources (time, attention, intention, money)

Thank you, thank you , thank you for BEing and  staying FREE.

Always all ways, just, darcy*

This is my pre-response from several years ago.  Will create a more current version soon. With attention to spelling...lol hope.  Most stuff is still true...

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Darcy,

The things that change when you pick up and smoke are your commitment to dying a slow painful death and how you show up for all the important aspects of your life.

Be clear.   You likely do not have another quit. 

If you need to damage something…go break dishes.   Your being/body/spirit is not for damaging.

If you need comfort … go find Mani and lay down with him.   Your being/body/spirit is for comforting.

If you are scared … find Eric and hug him.    Your being/body/spirit is for comforting

If you are in between tasks … sit outside and breathe for 7 minutes.    You are for thriving.

If you are hurt or frustrated by cyclical patterns …  call Annie, Marshall or Kristin.  You are for being     seen and heard.

Recognize and CELEBRATE (know this is a challenge for you) that you are FREE…  as long as you do not smoke.

This is one of the ultimate achievements of your life. 

You have chosen to love you.  It is okay.

Please keep that choice.  

Whatever is happening that you are here reading this… will pass and nothing will get better by smoking.  It will certainly get worse mentally and physically if you do smoke.

If you are in a place of driving things to get worse…. just stop, please.

Go play games on QT. Read. Eat. Sleep. Cry. find something to laugh about...

The feelings will change, too.

for my QT friends(?)  both this pre response and the one I re-posted on march 15 are ... from my heart .  Thanks in advance for helping me if I need it.

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

Hey Ak

What the heck u think 

U want to go back to day 0 in a second of illusion 

Don"t break ur streak for ur health sake

Don"t listen to ur evil mind or smoker friends 

Continue man healing isn"t easy 

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

As suggested by a wonderful member here are my reasons to KEEP THE QUIT

here is my list for wanting to be FREE

Health - the cough I have is chronic and awful - I hate it - when I was not smoking for 5 months I loved the freedom of feeling strong breaths. I miss it. I do not want to be sick and put myself and family through that.

Family - My son was so proud of me when I quit I think his daily reminder was a big part of my success - I have not told him I started smoking again - but I do plan too I just want to be a couple days into my quit before I fess up - hubby is supportive - but not a real cheerleader or one to say he is proud of you. He was very disappointed when I started again. My daughter has never really said anything - but she is 15 so always a bit moody LOL

Money - It is soooo expensive and I am not a couple of  smokes a day - so it adds up and it also adds up in my savings account when I am not smoking. 

Social Life - This one is hard to admit - but the minute I hear we are going somewhere or doing something - I wonder when and where I will be able to smoke and if I can't I often avoid the function - How crazy is that? As I write it down I realize this is holding me back and affecting my friendships. 

Be my authentic self - when I am not smoking I feel so much better about everything - no hiding or lying - no getting worried I won't be able to smoke and hopeful - when I smoke I pretty much focus on when I will get my next cigarette. What a waste of time. 

Next assignment - A plan and a quit date. How do I plan to get through the first few days, weeks what will I do when the cravings are the only thing I can think of.

• Like 6

Jeff, If you are reading this it is because you are in danger of losing your quit. You have been fighting to quit for so long now that you need to comment and get it done once and for all!

Settle down, take some long deep breathes and really read and concentrate on the reasons that you have been working so hard to quit!

1. Your health: You don't have COPD or Cancer yet! You did have a pacemaker put in last year. The doctor told you that the need for the pacemaker was not because you smoked, but that if you continued to smoke you are going to have a lot of problems in the future. I know you think that you can beat the odds for a little bit longer, but be honest with yourself, that's not true. It's junkie thinking! The health problems will get worse as long as you continue to smoke!

2. You want to be around to help your wife, your daughters, your Dad, and the few uncles I have left. You can only help them if you are healthy enough to do so! If you continue to smoke they may end up having to help you! You know you don't want to be a burden to others.

3. You know that you are becoming more lethargic as time goes on. You have a problem concentrating on one thing for any length of time. Quitting smoking should slow this process down, or maybe even improve it. You had to give up riding a motorcycle because of this concentration issue, and if you are honest with yourself you know you could have to give up driving altogether. That will take away your freedom to go where you want, when you want, and shove you further into depression.

4. Buying cigarettes and paying the bills for the health problems they cause take money away form you and your family that could be used for other things that will be needed in the future.

5. You need to admit to yourself, that even thou you can still work and get some things done, that you do have these tired spells. You also have to spend a lot of time talking yourself into doing anything. You justify this by saying "That's just a normal part of the aging process, I'm 63". This is not true! You know that smoking for 47 or 48 years has taken your energy. If you quit you my slow this process down. You may even find that over time, being quit, that you could get some energy back.

You need to think about the reasons above, not just read them, think about what you wrote and why you took the time to write them down. Don't just skim over this and not pay attention to these reasons! This is the way you felt about smoking at the time you wrote this! Throwing your quit away will solve nothing and you know you will be right back where you were. You may even give up and not have the resolve to start another quit. THINK!

Edited by JH63
  • Like 7