Pre Respond to your own SOS

Jonny5

Dear Nicotine in all forms:

I’ve wanted to get rid of you for years. You’ve caused a rift in my family. They knew I was using you but it was like this big elephant in the room that no one wanted to tackle. I thought I was hiding you but of course, they knew. You’ve caused me to be embarrassed and feel judged because in just about every social or work circle I'm in, I'm usually the only one using you. Remember when I hid you from everyone? Even doctors and coworkers? Then when someone would remark that I or the room smelled like cigs I was humiliated because them knowing I was smoking was better than them knowing I’d been lying to them. Now I live with people who don’t smoke, in a neighborhood where I rarely see people smoke. In fact when I am sitting outside vaping I’d see tons of people jogging, walking etc and just know to the core of my soul that I wanted to be healthy and that I’m hurting myself because of you. People at least ten years older than me, speed walking and cycling and I'd think about how if I didn't give you up I would probably never get to that point, I'd spend the last years of my life a fat old lady in a wheelchair with an oxygen tank. I don't want to go down like that

When my chest started to hurt when I walked up hills or stairs I knew it was time to quit. I’ve been paying a lot of money to use you while you are causing damage to my body, and possibly even be killing me. The test results I just got back say I am prediabetic and my cholesorol is up. I know that without you my cholestorol should come down. I'm not sure about the prediabetes will resolve especially with the other lifestyle changes I'm making. I don't want to be my mother, smoking and not taking care of herself and dying at 62. You have such a hold on me that its been 40 years of letting you rule my life because every time I tried to give you up the cravings would be too much to bear, I thought.

Even now, ten days without you, and even though I’m taking Chantix, you are screaming at me to come back. I almost have, a few times but if I do that, I will be back at square one. I’ve proven to myself countless times that there is no such thing as one dose of you, no matter how sure I am that there is. I need to think of you like I think of alcohol; be afraid to actually pick you up because I know I won’t stop. I'm in solid recovery now, free of everything addictive except you, at least 11 days ago.Oh, and coffee but I'm not tackling that one just yet...but Its time for you to go.

So I say goodbye to you. I've been quit for ten days; I don’t need you anymore. I never needed you in the first place. I just thought I did. I’m not spending incomprehensible amounts of money on you. I’m not going to put myself at risk of death for you. I'm not going to let you make my children have to lose their mother young. You aren’t worth it. Nothing is worth risking my life. Yes its hard to let you go, but if I developed a life threatening illness just because continuing to use you was easier than quitting…well how awful would that be? Or I could say letting you go is easier than dealing with cancer or heart disease will be. Letting go of you is easier than dying, thats for sure.

Despite being DETERMINED to let you go, I definitely miss you already, esp in the form of vaping. Vaping is delicious and feels good going into my lungs but how crazy is that. I don’t want you In my lungs. I’m done with you. You aren’t going to kill me, embarrass me, make me sick, none of that ever again, just for today. One day at a time.

Goodbye,

idontsmoke

Edited by idontsmoke
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

• 1 month later...
On 4/5/2014 at 4:03 PM, Jonny5 said:

This is a tried and tested idea I had a while back.

take a moment to write yourself a response to your own SOS.

no one knows you like you know yourself, and if you do post an SOS we can show you your own words, something that you will really listen to.

do it now while you are strong, as we know that when we are weak we can struggle to fight and to find the fight within ourselves.

I'll get this started..

Jonny, what ever is going on that has thrown you into this confusion, please stop and reflect on your achievements and restore that belief in yourself.

You know that you are free and that you have always sought and fought for that freedom, and that your freedom or imprisonment are simply states of mind that you control.

On 4/5/2014 at 4:03 PM, Jonny5 said:

This is a tried and tested idea I had a while back.

take a moment to write yourself a response to your own SOS.

no one knows you like you know yourself, and if you do post an SOS we can show you your own words, something that you will really listen to.

do it now while you are strong, as we know that when we are weak we can struggle to fight and to find the fight within ourselves.

I'll get this started..

Jonny, what ever is going on that has thrown you into this confusion, please stop and reflect on your achievements and restore that belief in yourself.

You know that you are free and that you have always sought and fought for that freedom, and that your freedom or imprisonment are simply states of mind that you control.

• 4 weeks later...

Pedro thinking of smoking when getting back home town, are we? You have not smoked for six hours, it's your first day, remember? Yes you had a little anxiety attack but you also know you felt relieved after it subsided, like an orgasm. One day at a time. You know you proved something to you when you get back to bed at night. One day different from the all others. Remember how positive this day was, your thoughts were more at peace and you felt protected, no one disturbed your peace like they do so usually bc of the bad vibes because of the bad vice. More energetic, talked to a friend for 22 minutes on cell phone. It's actually kind of fun to be struggling, to be fighting, to be learning (you know, those things...) 

But you ain't learning if you ain't winning so not a puff for the rest of the day. 

• Like 2

You are lenient, I think that is the word. 

You are glad you have not smoked but at the same time you gladly will make your way to another smoke. Just remember that you will feel bad and also will smoke another one and then some more while awake. So why not try something different? Meaning not smoking. Consider this a different day. Go check out more videos. Go do the sutra lotus chant. You don't have to think too much, things fall in place when you don't smoke, you know that, that is the reason why you already did the not-smoking-for some hours before.

Now you are confused because a friend just called and you get confused when you talk with other people. Well, you will mull it better now if you don't puff. See how long it takes

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Are you freakin nuts?  You got more red "didn't smoke" X's than anytime since your 20's and you are thinking of blowing it?  Is there a gun to your head, are you being water boarded, being tortured in any way?  If not, I suggest you think this though.  Think about the $4000 that one cigarette will cost and the 7000 you will be required to smoke cause you know you have never summoned the courage and strength to try again in less than 1 year.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

so you think 5 years from now you'll look back and say to yourself "Gee, I sure am glad I didn't quit smoking"?  Now grow a spine and deal with your emergency.  It's not like you can hide behind weaknesses so you might as well be strong.  I mean think about how easy modern life really is...you're most difficult task in life is to stop doing something stupid.  What if you had to go out and hunt for your next meal, or carry water from a spring that was a mile and half away from the house, what if you lived in a time where toilet paper wasn't a thing???  get some perspective 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

OPAH over a year now and you still letting Nic challenge you.

Remember Physical addiction is gone all the Nic receptors are gone! 

So it is all in your Mind now, Be the mental magnificent you are and

tell Nic to hit the road, beat feet, Don't let the door hit him on the ass on his way out.  You have the control, you are in charge.  Get up and get busy,  If you do not have your hard candies, go get a ding dong and a pop.

By the way we really need to avoid the real sugars Bud, but for the now

it is OK.    Lets do what you need to do, I am here for you, we shatter the silence with our words and our thoughts, Nic has nothing on us, we are in command,  send Nic walking off of the POOP deck and give him a big long flush.  We are free of Nic now act like it.

Edited by Opah
  • Like 6

• 2 months later...

You want to smoke, I get it. But the cold hard truth is that if you smoke you will no longer be an ex-smoker. The reason you want to smoke is because you are romancing the cigarette. You think that it will make you feel better about something, it won't, you will feel exactly the same only as a smoker instead of an ex-smoker. So to combat your addict within try some things before you go through with your plan to smoke.

1. Remember that smoking is a lie, it always takes and never gives anything good.

2. Distract yourself with anything handy until the nagging thoughts subside.

3. Go to QuitTrain and read for inspiration and resolve.

4. Make a plan to recommit your quit and remember how you felt on day 1.

5. Remind yourself why you quit, it was a good reason then and it's still a good reason now.

6. Take a nice deep breath and be proud of being an ex-smoker.

7. Going forward can be difficult and scary, but going backward is pathetic and sorrowful.

8. Take some time to respond to others on QuitTrain, get involved in your quit.

9. Realize how lucky you are that you stopped smoking before your body gave out on you.

10. If you get this far and still want to smoke post an SOS on QuitTrain and respond to each person who tries to talk you down.

There is no way that you still want to smoke, so congratulations you made it through an urge an remained an ex-smoker!

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

@mediahoundJust saw your post, looks like you just joined the board.  Do you need help? We are here.  Everything you have written is true! You have all of us here to help you.

If you are having a crave, just breath through it.  I know it is hard, the first days and weeks will pass before you know it.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Kris said:

@mediahoundJust saw your post, looks like you just joined the board.  Do you need help? We are here.  Everything you have written is true! You have all of us here to help you.

If you are having a crave, just breath through it.  I know it is hard, the first days and weeks will pass before you know it.

Thank you, Kris. I am new here and I have just quit today. Tomorrow will be my first full day as a non-smoker. I do have a very strong support system but I wanted to have more support so I am not leaning too much on loved ones. This group is exactly what I am looking for ❤️

• Like 6

Welcome aboard Media.....

Glad you found us ...when your ready go to the Introduction thread ..and fell us a little about yourself

You ll get a bigger welcome there ...and lots of help and support ....

Take time to look around the forum ...lots of good tips ...

Looking forward to getting to know you better .🐸

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

So, Shymaid, I know you either really REALLY want one, or you have become too relaxed on the quitting. You might think 'It is just one', but that leads to another and another and another. I know you have problems seeing a bright future now, but no amounts of cigarettes will make that any brighter. On the contrary, it will only make the future bleaker and darker.

You hate being a smoker, you start hating and despising yourself for being one, and using that as an excuse to continue instead of doing something about it isn't an option; not anymore!

The withdrawal might seem endless, but it isn't. It doesn't really last that long, and when you think it does, it's only in your head. You can do this! Just feel how your body feels now compared when it was drenched in nicotine! Stay the course!

• Like 6

Patti ...do you want to end up in the hospital again and being so embarrassed that you you had to say you smoked! Do you want to go thruvwhat your own husband went thru with the cancer in his throat...smarten up its been almost 2 weeks , you have done the worst days. .there will be more , but you can do it...please please think of how happy you will be not hacking and being able to sleep without hacking. 

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

To Me - From Me

LORI LISTEN!

💣 STOP - DO NOT   - I repeat DO NOT SMOKE!!!! 

Dungeons And Dragons Reaction GIF by Hyper RPG

1. You are one cigarette away from a major cardio event and you know what that looks like from sitting by the bedside of someone you love dearly, who was in ICU for a week. Look at the photo if you need a reminder.
  2. Your body NEEDS clean air - pay attention to that crave!
  3. You will not give any more money to people who supply you with products that kill you. NOPE - never again
  4. The only thing smoking does for you is kill you.
  5. You want to feel good, look good & smell good. When you smoke - you are none of these. None.
  6. Craves get better - they will not last that long and they will not kill you - use your emergency bags - if the bags are empty go to the G-damn store and buy whatever it takes to get through this - just DONT smoke!
  7. Adjust your NRT if you cut back or stopped too soon
  8. NOPE for this crave, NOPE for this hour, NOPE for today, just NOPE
  9. Call the EAP or schedule a TelaDoc if you need more help. Just DO NOT SMOKE!
  10. You are strong, even when you feel weak. Smoking does not help you, at all, ever. The withdrawal will get better - I promise. Do a rosary - as many times as needed. Eat, sleep, soak your feet, paint your nails, play a game, clean out the junk drawer, take a walk, take another walk, the possibilities are endless. YOU ARE STRONGER THAN YOU KNOW.🤩 YOU ARE STRONGER THAN THIS CRAVE.
  • Like 9

• 2 months later...

Pedro, you are doing this because you want to conquer something in your life: your dignity. Your health. Your mental abilities. You want to be a functionable and contributive member of society, you want a magic life, you want money (you do!), you want to believe. Create your own faith, if faith lacks! It's an act of courage to recover from this addiction. You will feel very much better mentally. You will not be bothered with trivial nuisances. Your mind will benefit - keen mind. Remember that breathing fosters remembering and that is something magic you want in your life. You want to do many things. And see the world for what it is. Smoking prevents that. I know you are sensible. Many people are. You want to develop warriors hope and warriorship. Please consider not smoking and taking life in. The way it, be it hell, continue. I know you try to focus on the positive side of not smoking. I know you try to convince yourself that you want this, which is hard because you don't believe in yourself. Be it so. Become a recovering person. Always recovering! Conquer your fears! This mind of yours fears not being fed, that is what it is, all there is to it is this! It is the monkey mind. It will be hard times, good times, recovering times. It's normal your quitting is a mess. But it is the way. Now go about your day, feeling. The coming and going of relaxation and anxiety. Come back here if you need. You will, because you like writing. Now to go to the job interview! 

• Like 9