Introduction

Suz916

Decided to quit lurking and introduce myself ? 47 nights ago , I laid in bed and thought to myself “ what if I got up tomorrow and didn’t smoke?!?, what if I just never lit another cigarette ?!?” Then there were all the negative voices , y’all know the ones , the “you’re too old “ “ at your age can you even be saved anymore.”  You see im 56 and probably have smoked a pack a day for 38 years . Anyway I got up the next morning and have not smoked since. I cried , I screamed but I did not smoke ! It was harder than I thought and easier than I ever thought . It gets better , there are days now I will go six hours without thinking about smoking . I find that to be remarkable after 38 years? since it was a late night decision I had nothing to help so it was cold turkey. And to think I always had the strength and never knew it . Here’s to reminding myself every day ?

• Like 14

Welcome aboard, Suz.  Congrats on 47 days smoke free.  Things do get better and a smoke-free life is a wonderful gift to give yourself.

It is nice to have you here.  Keep up the awesome work.

• Like 5

Welcome aboard for this awesome journey.  Congrats on your quit so far.  Just to know the progress you see to this point even gets better so keep going.  Lots of good people here that will be willing to help you along with this journey

• Like 6

Awesome Suz! Congratulations on 47 days, that's a really solid start.

You've obviously seen we're a whole bunch of friendly, weird, fun, crazy, caring and helpful group. Sometimes one of those things, sometimes all of them in the space of one post.

It's good to have you on board, read lots, shout if you need and make that quit go further and further than you ever dreamed.

I hope you've treated yourself to some good stuff with the money you have saved.

• Like 6

Welcome aboard Suz :) Yes, we all have the strength within us to quit this horrible addiction it's just realizing that very fact that sometimes eludes us for quite awhile.

It is a proud moment though when we do realize just how strong we can be. Congrats on your decision to take back your life. It's never too late to quit. As soon as you do, you make the rest of your life that much better - that's for sure.

Stick around and read all you can about this addiction so you understand how it works. Knowledge, commitment and a good support system will take you a long way in this battle. Keep up the great work!!

Edited by reciprocity
  • Like 7

7 hours ago, Suz916 said:

Decided to quit lurking and introduce myself ? 47 nights ago , I laid in bed and thought to myself “ what if I got up tomorrow and didn’t smoke?!?, what if I just never lit another cigarette ?!?” Then there were all the negative voices , y’all know the ones , the “you’re too old “ “ at your age can you even be saved anymore.”  You see im 56 and probably have smoked a pack a day for 38 years . Anyway I got up the next morning and have not smoked since. I cried , I screamed but I did not smoke ! It was harder than I thought and easier than I ever thought . It gets better , there are days now I will go six hours without thinking about smoking . I find that to be remarkable after 38 years? since it was a late night decision I had nothing to help so it was cold turkey. And to think I always had the strength and never knew it . Here’s to reminding myself every day ?

Hello Suz,

Congratulations on your quit and welcome !

We have some things in common, 

long time smoker (40+ years),

a cold-turkey quitter, 

a lurker,  and a now, a member of this fine community.

I am so glad you are here.  Post a bunch and have some fun.

'At your age', you have saved yourself from addiction.

You are a hero.

s

• Like 4

Hellooo and welcome suz, sounds like you got a good handle on this quit already but it's always good to have extra support along the way,  cos we all can use it at some point. As slippy said so brilliantly and I will secont that 

18 hours ago, Sslip said:

we're a whole bunch of friendly, weird, fun, crazy, caring and helpful group. Sometimes one of those things, sometimes all of them in the space of one post.

We really are ( oh @Sslippy, I luv it that much I may well pinch it at some point?)

So jump in and make yourself at home..?

• Like 2

Welcome aboard Suz.  Congratulations on taking back your freedom.

On 5/2/2018 at 6:27 PM, Suz916 said:

And to think I always had the strength and never knew it . Here’s to reminding myself every day ?

Absolutely.  As soon as we get out of our own way, we can surprise ourselves with what we are capable of.

Good job.

• Like 2

Welcome aboard Suz..

Another smoker here..who smoked for decades..its doable...believe in yourself...

Read and watch all the videos here...there is a ton of information to help you along....

Take our daily NOPE...a great way to start your day....with a promise to yourself...you won't smoke for that day...

Congrats on taking your life back...life as a non smoker is so much better....

• Like 1