New to QT

Runfree

Hello Fellow QTrs,

Thank you for having such a great site!  There is so much info and support here.  Thank you Nancy and Jenny for the Welcome PMs...they were so nice to receive.

In brief, I smoked for around 36 years, had many attempts at quitting, have tried the NTRs, prescription drugs, quit classes, etc, everything available to mankind and on occasion was able to string together a few days.   But...I took that one puff and was back at it for another 5 years or so...some of you may know the drill.

On Dec 20th around 2 PM, I extinguished a cig I'd taken maybe 3 drags off of and said enough.  But I wasn't ready to go all out so I put on a 21mg patch and said a prayer; a couple days later I switched to a 14mg cuz the 21s were too much.  After I made it to a week without caving, I started feeling much better and stronger in my conviction.  I have been reading a lot and found the Allen Carr stuff last night.  

This brings me to today...I decided to forgo the patch and take the next 72 as they come, I said my NOP(for today) commitment and when the jitters hit, I take DEEP breaths.  I definitely need to keep moving today.  

I appreciate this site.  Thank you Mods for your good work and I look forward to hanging around for a while. 

• Like 12

Wonderful to have you RunFree.  Allen Carr is a great read and has led to more than one quit on this site.  Once you get some time between you and your last cigarette you will not believe how great it feels.  Keep that in mind when you have a bad day.  It's worth it for sure.

• Like 1

Hi and welcome aboard this wonderful train....

Congrats to taking the first step to taking your life back and freedom...

Education is the key...the more you learn...the easier it gets...

We will support you all the way...

It is so doable....all you need to be sucessful....is to want it bad enough

• Like 1

Welcome, RunFree!  I did sort of the same thing with the patches except I started with the 14 mg.  I didn't like the way they made me feel at night so after a couple nights I slept without a patch.  I then started putting one on later in the day and took it off earlier in the evening and after about 2 weeks said to heck with them.  Like you I took deep breaths and sipped water when a crave hit.  I know you can do this!  Just remember NOPE!

• Like 2

Welcome runfree. What an inspiring way to quit, just know it's done :)  

It will help to get some fruit juice and take sips, with no nicotine in your system then blood sugar goes a little out of whack for the 3 days it takes to get all the nicotine out.  Here is fabulous of course and I hear good things about Allen Carr. Another site I and others used was whyquit.com and there's loads of great info there too.

Look forward to hearing from you. Posting regularly was the difference for me this quit, it would be great to hear from you when you're ready on how you're doing.

x

Congratulations on your quit! I was doing the patches too but on day five, I totally forgot to put a new one on. When I realized it I just said to heck with it, I'll quit without it! You know what? It wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be.

Good job and keep it up!

Welcome RunFree!

Very nice to cyber 'meet' you :)

Congratulations on your decision to quit once and for all, and I look forward to getting to know you as you progress on your journey :)

Happy New Year!

Hi RunFree,  Congratulation on your lovely new quit !! 

You'll find there's lots of good people here, collectively with years of experience and advice to offer if you need/want it here and there...but in the mean time, please join in, have fun, post and make yourself right at home..  and welcome to the QT family! :D

Hey RunFree how is everything going?

Hey DD,

Thanks for asking.  I'm still on track!   I've been smoke free since Dec 20th and nic free since Dec 30th.  I hope this means I'm on the downhill side of the 72 hr peak cravings they talk about and that the nicotine is flushing out of my body.  I wouldn't say it's been graceful and I still have really really intense moments, but I've held on tight.  I do have this constant vib of anxiousness but there are a couple of weighted things happening in my life so it could just be a combo of a few things.  Anyway....I'm a quitter and saying nope multiple times a day :).  Thank you so much for checking and congrats again on your milestone!  

• Like 5