What worked for you?

Nicole Diver

My last quit, every second of those four months quit I felt deprived and unhappy. It was all mental sabotage.

This time, the understanding that smoking does nothing but relieve the withdrawal (the was caused by last cigarette) has made all the difference to me. If I smoked now, all I would be doing is creating the desire to smoke. The ''need' is gone. So of course, it would be disastrous to create that need again. As Allen Carr said, smokers smoke to feel like non smokers. (Paraphrased.)

That's why it's so critical to not buy into the ideology of 'social' smoking. There may indeed be some people that can do it, but if you're here, you're not one of them. That's ok, neither am I.

What made the light bulb turn on for you that really helped your quit?

• Like 12

Great post, Ava. I had the same realization and it helped me a lot, too. I think that broadly educating oneself about the nature of a  nicotine addiction and how to overcome it is crucial. But in addition, I think that each us has one or a few "key points" that we repeat to ourselves during moments of stress or temptation. My personal "key point" that I repeated like a mantra, especially during the first few weeks, was, "You have to want to quit more than you want to smoke." which I did (and still do).

• Like 8

Learning that I quit, I did not give something up made things so much easier, I have to remind myself of this sometimes

Posting here, educating myself as much as possible

Watching and listening to others, helping others

A bloody good grip at times!

Knowing NOPE is the only way to a forever quit, no bones about it on the physical side and on the mental side you really have to want to quit

This and alot of humour :)

• Like 7

Initially the sayings - smoking is not on the table and you can do anything except put something in your mouth and set it on fire! Taking those options out forced me to focus on what I would do to cope....

Understanding that there was no physical pain to quitting. Don't know what I imagined as such, but I expected awful and painful. The reality was I just thought about whether I would smoke or not many times a day. I chose not to every time and the thoughts got less and less. 

Reading all the horror stories on whyquit. Education came later but the initial horror of reading people my age dying of lung cancer etc just because we chose to smoke gave me a right old kick to the gut and made a difference - educated to realize I was actually poisoning myself. 

Posting - I needed a brass band following me round cause I was simply astounded I was actually quitting haha. I smile now but every atta girl etc felt like a soothing balm. I don't get that support in real life (I am always the "supporter", not the suportee lol) so yeah, posting was big.

AHA moments. There were two I think.

1.When it finally sunk in that all smoking was doing was fulfilling the need for nicotine from the last cig - it was actually not only addiction pure and simple but also slavery. It didn't sit well with who I believed I was so I changed and realigned myself. 

2.In the midst of a snotfest caused by some brutal emotion or other (and quite possibly wine) I thought for a fleeting second that I might smoke and straight behind was the thought of "what's the point, it doesn't help".

• Like 9

I found that looking at all the positives, rather than the negatives, helped massively.  Having you guys by my side, and checking my ticker every 5 minutes really helped, too - reminds me that I haven't actually 'looked' at my ticker for ages!

• Like 7

Let's see.....

Educate myself....I never truly understood this addiction....maybe I didn't want too...

Ignorance is bliss.....

Joining a support forum.....couldn't of imagined the support and the friends I would make....

When I was a newbie.....actually reading and listening to what I was being told....and believing it ....

Actually coming here and laughing....it hasn't been all doom and gloom.....some days I would nearly wet myself with laughin....

Feeling proud of myself......and seeing my family proud too.....a great incentive.....xx

• Like 8

Reading that nicotine had changed my normal brain chemistry to make it addicted to nicotine. I found it easier to quit once I understood I had a smoking habit driven by a nicotine addiction. It made it easier to pick out junkie rationalizations and know they were lies.

• Like 8

What has helped me most is realizing that cigarettes do nothing for me. From the first one I ever smoked (oh so many years ago) to the last.  

It was a nasty addiction and a farce. I thought they were "calming", that was such a lie. 

Realizing this made my quit fairly easy. Oh there are days. But I would have those days even if I had never smoked. 

• Like 9

Reading that nicotine had changed my normal brain chemistry to make it addicted to nicotine. I found it easier to quit once I understood I had a smoking habit driven by a nicotine addiction. It made it easier to pick out junkie rationalizations and know they were lies.

Yes, learning about brain chemistry like Paul said ^^^

and this photograph blew my mind.  I saw that there was nothing to do but, drink from the well of NOPE and drink Deep.

receptor_saturation.jpg

What ferocity to attach itself to my 'feel good' receptors like that and immediately !  Wow.

• Like 6

agree with all of the above!

I also always remembered 2 parts in allen carr's book. 

1.  How can the same substance that calms you down also can give you energy?  It relaxes you...but also helps you concentrate?  learning that was junkie thinking is what kept me going. 

2.  He also told an analogy about a blemish on the face.  You have a blemish and are given this miracle cream and when applied-the blemish goes away instantly but temporarily.  It comes back bigger and you need more and more cream to get rid of it.  Each time it comes back bigger and bigger and now the cream needs to be applied at least 20 times a day.  You are a slave to the cream..and the blemish is huge and unsightly, you can't leave the house.  Then you go to another doctor and he tells you that all you have to do is stop the cream and the blemish will go away and never return.  All you have to do is stop the cream even if it's huge and ugly, eventually it goes away.  Thinking this way helped me to know as long as I don't take a puff today, I will never suffer through hell week again.  Ever. 

Kept reminding myself.  Smoking is not an option...I may be pissed off and may need something...but a cigarette isn't it.   NOPE

• Like 3

There was no "light bulb".

Just a deal Sarge made with himself: Every time you want a cigarette, go run a quick (7 - minute or faster) mile - had a treadmill both at home and at the office so, no problem most of the time.

For those who don't run, 7 minutes or faster is ... well ... f*cking fast.

Sucking wind that hard killed any desire to smoke for at least the next 4 hours, and probably most of the day.

It's what got The Sarge through it all.

The treadmill.

Running.

It was a literal Life Saver.

Easy Peasy

• Like 7

The only thing that weaned me off cigarettes after 40 years was an e-cig ( started with nicotine juice but now only flavored ) I feel 100% better !

Now you need to get rid of that aluminum cylinder on your lips as your final and next step!

The only thing that should touch your lips are food, liquids, medicine, or the opposite sex! 

• Like 2

The only thing that weaned me off cigarettes after 40 years was an e-cig ( started with nicotine juice but now only flavored ) I feel 100% better !

so glad you have found your way here...

Please go to the introduction section....and tell us a little about yourself....

• Like 1

ummmmmm...

Lots of things.

But honestly? Not Smoking.

All of the woes and difficulties of quitting are there - all of them are caused by smoking. 

Don't smoke.

It really is that simple. 

Nobody EVER died from quitting. Most people reading this, personally know somebody that died from not quitting.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

What worked, like actually finally clicked, for me is actually horribly morbid.

I was sick and in the hospital throughout the month of December for smoking related illnesses (all serious). It is important that I mention that Mr. DD was overseas and that I am the person who calls down to a group of wives when things happen.

I quit on NYE and had a really hard time physically and then mentally. Late in the month of January I received a phone call from the unit to check my email and make a call out. One of the wives in our company was murdered. If that wasn't bad enough her 6 year old child found her. This hit me so hard as if a baby finding their mom isn't bad enough... That poor baby had to stay with strangers until they got his Dad home.

That was when the "forever" part of my quit became ok with me. The reality that if something happened to me, my children would find me. I said it to someone recently... There are so many things in this world that can traumatize my kids I am not going to let my poor health choices be one of them.

• Like 2

I was sick and in the hospital throughout the month of December for smoking related illnesses (all serious). It is important that I mention that Mr. DD was overseas and that I am the person who calls down to a group of wives when things happen.

I quit on NYE and had a really hard time physically and then mentally. Late in the month of January I received a phone call from the unit to check my email and make a call out. One of the wives in our company was murdered. If that wasn't bad enough her 6 year old child found her. This hit me so hard as if a baby finding their mom isn't bad enough... That poor baby had to stay with strangers until they got his Dad home.

That was when the "forever" part of my quit became ok with me. The reality that if something happened to me, my children would find me. I said it to someone recently... There are so many things in this world that can traumatize my kids I am not going to let my poor health choices be one of them.

Wow!

• Like 1

Sometimes I read things here...that just stop me in my tracks....

This is one of those times.....so sad DD.....

• Like 2