Hello Quit Train Members

Mona

Hello Quit Train members,

I’ve been lurking here for some time now.  I have been doing a lot of reading, trying to get myself educated and motivated.  This is not my first time to quit smoking but I want it to be my last.

It feels so good to get this off of my chest.  You see, I have been a closet smoker for quite a while.  Nobody knows I went back to smoking after the last time I quit.  I didn’t have the heart to tell my family or friends.  To be honest, I’m kind of surprised that nobody has figured it out by now but I guess I must be pretty good at hiding it.

I’m happy to be here and look forward to the camaraderie and support.  This seems like a great community!  Best wishes to all of us who are putting this horrible addiction to rest.  NOPE!

Mona

Edited by Mona
  • Like 11

Welcome, Lilac.  Congratulations on quitting smoking.

31 minutes ago, lilac said:

This is not my first time to quit smoking but I want it to be my last.

I've made several attempts at quitting before as well, prior to quitting for good.  I can tell you that finally putting those nasty cancer sticks behind you for good is a great and empowering thing to do and is definitely worth whatever early struggles you may have.

Stick around this site.  There is a lot of camaraderie and support here.  We've all been where you are at now and yes, quitting is very doable.  Read, reach out if you need support, and pledge in the daily NOPE thread.  All of these things help greatly.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Welcome aboard Lilac, good to have you along on this journey.  Looks like you have been reading some already and I have seen that you have started the daily NOPE pledge -- both of these will help you greatly.  Keep doing the NOPE everyday and ask for support whenever and take some time to do some of the fun stuff, can help you get thru some of the tough times and laughter is always good for the soul!!!!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Hi Lilac :)  As others said already, education about this addiction really is key in staying quit long term because you need to truly believe and feel in your heart that smoking does nothing good for you.  Reading as much as you can not only from posts here but the Joel videos and all the green pinned posts at the top of the quit smoking discussion page will help educate you. It really is the best thing you can do for yourself and your loved ones. Stick around. You might like this place :15_yum:

• Like 6

Welcome, Lilac....education on your addiction and support are the keys to a sticky quit! You will find both here on the Quit Train...buckle in (it will get bumpy!) and enjoy the ride!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, lilac said:

Thank you for the encouraging words everyone.  I know that it may not seem like it now, but it will most certainly be worth it!

And something else you will find helpful is staying active  posting here. Even if you are just asking a question or bitching and moaning about some quit symptom you are dealing with (and trust me .... we all do that in the early days), other people you don't even know will be reading it and the information in your post just may help them in some way you don't even realize. Just like you did, there are always people lurking out there and reading posts we put up. By helping others in this way you actually end up strengthening your own quit at the same time. It;s a win-win :) 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, reciprocity said:

And something else you will find helpful is staying active  posting here. Even if you are just asking a question or bitching and moaning about some quit symptom you are dealing with (and trust me .... we all do that in the early days), other people you don't even know will be reading it and the information in your post just may help them in some way you don't even realize. Just like you did, there are always people lurking out there and reading posts we put up. By helping others in this way you actually end up strengthening your own quit at the same time. It;s a win-win :) 

That's good advice reciprocity.  Venting does help a lot.  I just hope I don't become too much of a pain in the butt.

• Like 2

Hiya lilac and welcome. My mum is a closet smoker haha! My step dad is pure anti smoking. Em see a really important thing is if you want this to be your forever quit...Is that you are very honest with yourself and others. I had many quits before this one where I was 'secret smoking' or making up daft rules where I could smoke when I drink alcohol (and I drink a lot lol). Goto be very clear, no smoking at all. Maybe when you've got a few days under your belt you could tell your family and friends about your new quit as it would be a shame for you not to get their support. And that way you are having an honest quit too. Don't be embarrassed or anything, I'm sure they will all be super happy just to see you quitting again. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, lilac said:

That's good advice reciprocity.  Venting does help a lot.  I just hope I don't become too much of a pain in the butt.

You've got a ways to go if you plan to challenge us for the "Pain in the Butt" trophy! 

80731064.jpg

• Haha 7

Welcome aboard Lilac...

Well done for taking your life back...keep reading and Learning.... We have a NOPE thread too....it's a great way to start your day....

It's a promise to yourself ...not to smoke in just 24 hrs....you'll be surprised what a powerful tool this is ....

Stay close ....post often ....I found staying close to the board really helped ....

Join in the fun ..quitting is not all doom and gloom...

Looking forward to getting to know you better ...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, WeegieWoman said:

Hiya lilac and welcome. My mum is a closet smoker haha! My step dad is pure anti smoking. Em see a really important thing is if you want this to be your forever quit...Is that you are very honest with yourself and others. I had many quits before this one where I was 'secret smoking' or making up daft rules where I could smoke when I drink alcohol (and I drink a lot lol). Goto be very clear, no smoking at all. Maybe when you've got a few days under your belt you could tell your family and friends about your new quit as it would be a shame for you not to get their support. And that way you are having an honest quit too. Don't be embarrassed or anything, I'm sure they will all be super happy just to see you quitting again. 

Thanks for the advice WeegieWoman but there is no reason to tell my family and friends about my new quit.  As far as they're concerned, I have been quit for a long time.  When I quit way back when, I didn't get much support so why would it be different this time around?  Don't get me wrong.  I'm not criticizing them.  It's just that they are all non-smokers and can't really relate to what I am going through and thus can't give me what I need.  That's why I am here, with people who understand.

• Like 1

Lilac, so glad to formally meet you.  I also was a closet smoker and so ashamed of my habit.  As I hid at home and smoked, my life became so dark and unhappy.  I felt so doomed to be so chained to such a miserable habit.  I was always attempting to quit or looking for ways to quit.  I accidentally came across this forum and it has changed my life.  I am happily heading into my 5th month smoke free, with no intentions of looking back.  It feels amazing to get control of your life again.  I still spend a lot of time reading about my addiction and reading other posts of peoples emotions during their journey.   

We are here for you Lilac.  You can do this!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Welcome Lillac, 

Congratulations on quitting smoking !

Please continue your education on nicotine addiction

and remember to reward yourself for every crave you beat.

Your brain needs a kick start to switch up your pleasure receptors

that nicotine stole.

Have a look at this post

The Significance of Rewards

and

this one about HALT

Riffing On HALT

and let us know how we can help

oh,

this post might be beneficial too,

10 Ways To Effectively Use This Forum

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Welcome aboard Lilac.  Congratulations on giving up the cigarettes.

No need to keep secrets around here.  We're all nicotine addicts on this Train.

Commit.  Keep it simple.  Enjoy the ride.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hi Sazerac,

Thanks for asking.  I did make it through the 30th but it was really horrible.  I was trying to quit cold turkey but after quite a few attempts, it seems to me that I need some help (kind of like the truism "what's the definition of insanity?").  I'm currently trying to figure out which NRT I want to go with.  I tried the patches many years ago and didn't like them.  I'm leaning toward the gum.  I've read a lot of great reviews on it.  I also like the idea that you can use it as needed versus getting a steady flow of nicotine.

Be back real soon,

Mona

• Like 3

I used the gum. I didn't follow the instructions. So I was a pack and a bit a day smoker. I smoked 8mgs. I used the 4mg for 3 days and switched to 2mg. I too liked having it when I really needed not just a steady flow. I also used to push out having one until my absolute breaking point. I wouldn't have my first one of the day for as long as I could go. I would have a normal gum in between.... I set a daily limit on how many I could have but tried to beat that each day. I went in with an exit program.

• Like 5

I need to stress nrt is not a magic pill that is going to make it easy... you still will get craves, you will still need to bristle up and keep your quit and consciously make the decision not to smoke. It just takes the edge off... and if anything it prolongs the crave stage... you need to consciously acknowledge that it isn't going to just make you free of the addiction or it wont work and help you. I went in know the psychological part of my addiction, the habits and the associations (like I have a smoke after food) were the bigger part of my quit... I had to break those patterns before I could fully address the physical side.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2