Where does it come from?

Wantsit

Where does the temptation come from? Crap I haven't  had an issue for a week and all the sudden today I would have sold my soul for 5 minutes of pure smoking pleasure. I haven't an urge this strong since the first 3-4 days. I made it through but I can't explain how or where it came from  and it lasted almost all day. Ready for this business to stop! 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

You're in WTF week wantsit and now you know why we call it that. There's something about the 3's, 3 days, weeks, months, that get most of us. Just power through like you did today because it will get better :)

• Like 5

Yes, wantsit, you are in the WTF week.  The craves come on strong and out of nowhere.  I kind of think it comes from the triggers that you were not fully aware of coming on, also your mind trying to become accustomed to no nicotine.  You can make it thru the week and things will start to look much better as you learn to deal with a nicotine free mind and body!!!!

• Like 5

It get's tiring at times early on but when it does, just go back to the basics. Breathing exercises to calm yourself. Hard candies or whatever your go-to pacifier is and remember .... why you wanted to quit! That's key! Would you really want to go back to nicotine slavery? I think not :) Just do one day at a time for now. Still early days. You will get there if you do that.

Edited by reciprocity
  • Like 5

Hello Wantsit,

You are not a weakling, you are a hero to yourself, you quit smoking !

Each crave you beat is another receptor in your brain that you own again, another receptor wrenched away from nicotine addiction.

Here is something from The Mayo Clinic you may find interesting

"When you smoke, your brain changes in response to the very high levels of nicotine delivered by cigarettes.

Those brain changes cause you to become addicted to nicotine, and that addiction can make stopping smoking very difficult.

Nicotine is the chemical in tobacco that keeps you smoking.

Nicotine that gets into your body through cigarettes activates structures normally present in your brain called receptors.

When these receptors are activated, they release a brain chemical called dopamine, which makes you feel good.

This pleasure response to dopamine is a big part of the nicotine addiction process.

Over time, as you continue to smoke, the number of nicotine receptors in your brain increases.

Addicted smokers have billions more of these receptors than nonsmokers do. 

When you try to stop smoking, the receptors in your brain do not receive nicotine, so the pleasure response is cut off.

In addition, low levels of nicotine lead to symptoms of nicotine withdrawal,

such as strong cravings for a cigarette, anxiety, irritability, restlessness, difficulty concentrating, depressed mood, frustration, anger, increased hunger and difficulty sleeping.

The fastest way to alleviate the withdrawal symptoms is to smoke a cigarette, which releases dopamine and activates the pleasure response.

To make stopping smoking even more difficult, the brain receptors can be conditioned to expect nicotine in certain situations long after you have stopped smoking.

For example, if you regularly smoke when you drink alcohol, or when you are in a stressful situation, or after a meal,

the nicotine receptors in your brain anticipate the dopamine rush from nicotine at that time.

These "trigger" situations can cause intense cravings for a cigarette, even if you have stopped smoking for several months.

The good news is that once you stop smoking entirely,

the number of nicotine receptors in your brain will eventually return to normal.

As that happens, the craving response will occur less often, won't last as long or be as intense and, in time, will fade away completely.

— Richard D. Hurt, M.D., Nicotine Dependence Center, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn.

To be fair, our brains have to completely re-fit each receptor and this takes time.

Even at five years quit, sometimes a rogue receptor will rear it's ugly head

but, it is easily dismissed. 

Replace each smokey thought with something you choose.  Claim back each receptor.

Soon, they will behave and distribute your rewards suitably.

You can help them by rewarding yourself with a little something every time you beat a crave.

Stay focused, you are building a beautiful quit and amassing strength every day.

Nope-ly yours,

S

Edited by Sazerac
rogue for rouge. lol.
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

24 minutes ago, Wantsit said:

Thanks all...I thought I was doing good but look at me...being a weakling and wasn't ready for this. Deep breaths. 

You ARE doing good, in fact, you're doing GREAT! And you're also not a weakling, you've had a 40 year addiction to smoking and it takes time to break that habit. That's why one of our tools is the One Year Commitment. I took it as did many, many others. It's pinned to the top of this forum if you'd like to check it out :)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Wantsit said:

Thanks all...I thought I was doing good but look at me...being a weakling and wasn't ready for this. Deep breaths. 

You are NOT a weakling! You’re strong and tough, being able to stand the nastiness of early days. Be proud of yourself, we for sure are proud of you! 

• Like 5

@Wantsit Please continue to educate yourself on nicotine addiction...it has changed the chemisty of your brain. Sazerac gave good info above...there are scientific/medical reasons you are feeling like you are. Knowledge of the addiction takes away its power.

YOU are in control of you mind, not nicotine and you need to let junkie brain know that. Don't give smoky thoughts one ounce of romance because it can easily be manipulated and trigger the rest of your receptors to activate in desperation (think of a nursery and one baby starts crying...they ALL start crying) 

Give a firm "NOPE! I'm a non-smoker!" Eat a small snack and move on to redirect brain activity.

• Like 7

I think the lesson here is to stay on point and prepared for possible triggers,  especially during the first year.

They really are sometimes shocking in their ferocity

but, they are just receptors in your brain that haven't read the New Rules,  yet.

NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE

• Like 6

Endure it. When i was 3 months in i bought a pack and on my way home i passed by my brother´s house who is a bad mofo as he made a chest movement and said "endure it like a man". I will never forget the look in his eyes. The thing is, if you believe you will quit smoking without some disconfort and pain, well....i guess it could happen but it is unlikely. Grind your teeth and say nope. Nope through that motherfucker nicodemon. Im with you lad. Lets make it to one month, then ill make you a big celebration page in the cheers section. cmon! :)

• Like 6

If at only 18 days into your quit you hadn't had an issue for the past week until these recent craves hit, you are waaaayyyy ahead of where I was at that time (hell, you're ahead of where I was 6 months later).   Start the celebration now and give yourself a toast for being the toughest quitter on the block.   Enjoy any good days (or hours or minutes) that you have very early on and grind your way through the bad ones, keeping the end game in sight when things are rough.  You really are doing beautifully, Wantsit, and now you've gotsit!

• Like 5

On 11/19/2018 at 8:08 PM, Wantsit said:

Where does the temptation come from? Crap I haven't  had an issue for a week and all the sudden today I would have sold my soul for 5 minutes of pure smoking pleasure. I haven't an urge this strong since the first 3-4 days. I made it through but I can't explain how or where it came from  and it lasted almost all day. Ready for this business to stop! 

We're addicts who conditioned ourselves with cigarettes for years.

It may take a little while to unring that bell.

Be patient with the process and the process will set you free.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2018 at 2:14 PM, StewieTech said:

Endure it. When i was 3 months in i bought a pack and on my way home i passed by my brother´s house who is a bad mofo as he made a chest movement and said "endure it like a man". I will never forget the look in his eyes. The thing is, if you believe you will quit smoking without some disconfort and pain, well....i guess it could happen but it is unlikely. Grind your teeth and say nope. Nope through that motherfucker nicodemon. Im with you lad. Lets make it to one month, then ill make you a big celebration page in the cheers section. cmon! :)

Hey Stewie...two more days and you'll owe me a party for beating that "motherfucker nicodemon!! I am going to do it- NO DOUBT!!

• Like 1