New here, quitting, frustrated

Hey,

First time on this site, but seemed like a good resource.  I've been a smoker for 15 years, and have recently cut down to around 1/2 pack a day.  I have had some health scares recently, which has led me to want to quit smoking more than anything.  I've tried so many times over the last few weeks, yet every day I give in.  I feel weak, and powerless, but am very determined and need to do this for my kids and myself.  I have no more cigarettes and do have an E-cig.  The E-cig does not seem to curb the cravings like I thought it would, but perhaps once I actually go a longer period of time without smoking it will feel more useful.  Perhaps I shouldn't even be using this at all.  I have tried to quit quite a few times over the years, but have never been able to last longer than a day.  It's so frustrating, and I feel so stupid as I tell myself every day this is the last cigarette.  Yet it never works.  I would love some support and suggestions as I make another attempt at this.  Thanks!

-Sin

• Like 3

Have you read the Allen Carr 'Easy way to Quit Smoking' book? This really helped me to get my head in the right place. Make sure to read and educate yourself about nicotine addiction. That is really the only advice I can give :) Congratulations on your decision to quit :)

• Like 1

Hey there Sin.  I'm glad your reaching out. That shows how much your determination is.  I know that you know this already but you are so torturing yourself with I quit, I didn't quit.  Such a vicious cycle.  The only way out of it is to not smoke.  No. Matter. What.  Remember this.... not one person has ever died from quitting.  It's a rough road sometimes but that's why you get support.  You CAN do this. 

As far as the E cig..... does it have nicotine in it ?  If so, your just using a different method to smoke.  Suck on a straw.  I know it sounds silly but it does give you the hand to mouth relief and your sucking in natural air. 

Please don't give up.  It takes some of us several attempts to get it.  As long as you don't give up, you will win.  That's a promise.

Welcome to the Quittrain.  Glad to see you here.  :)

• Like 2

I kinda figured the e-cig was just a poor substitution.  I'll update how I'm doing in the morning.  I'm just tired of feeling like crap.  It's crazy, I smoked for this long, with only minor health stuffs.  But in the last couple months, have had multiple respiratory problems, infections, aches and pains, etc.  I've been to my doc, and luckily do not have cancer or anything...Yet.  But this last appointment was the first time my doctor told me I need to quit soon or else serious health issues WILL start coming up.  Hoping I can stick to my guns in the morn.

I kinda figured the e-cig was just a poor substitution.  I'll update how I'm doing in the morning.  I'm just tired of feeling like crap.  It's crazy, I smoked for this long, with only minor health stuffs.  But in the last couple months, have had multiple respiratory problems, infections, aches and pains, etc.  I've been to my doc, and luckily do not have cancer or anything...Yet.  But this last appointment was the first time my doctor told me I need to quit soon or else serious health issues WILL start coming up.  Hoping I can stick to my guns in the morn.

Welcome to Quit Train and congrats on making the decision to quit.  Anybody can quit and so can you.

Don't hope, just do it.  No matter how bad you want to smoke, don't.  Education about this addiction is the key to quitting.  Have you read anything in the Newbie Database?  There is a wealth of good information to be read, smoking/tobacco documentaries to watch and other pinned topics that will be extremely helpful in learning about this addiction and staying quit.

Start a thread in Quit Smoking Forum and post in it at least once per day if you can so we can help you along the way.  For me, quitting was enjoyable because I focused on the health benefits as soon as I put out my last cigarette.

Here are a couple of quick videos to watch.  Trust me, you can quit.  :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TL2Vh7goJc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVEyGdqwjmQ

Hey Sin

Welcome Aboard and Congratulations on the best decision you will ever make.

For me the key was education. Learning.

The good news is you can quit. if you want to, you will. It is doable.

Keep reading and keep posting!

Good to meet you.

• Like 1

Morning Sin, Today looks like a brilliant day to quit :)

I think educating yourself is key. Now not only do I not want to smoke, I would be pretty fearful health wise to do it again. The addiction of nicotine clouds our view. It helped to know that those cravings would pass and it wouldn't always feel so intense if I just held on...  

These guys here said the following things that I kinda repeated like a mantra when the cravings came

NOPE - not one puff ever (just for today). That bracket bit was important. I couldn't quit smoking, that felt huge, but I could not smoke for one day.

The only rule is don't put something in your mouth and set fire to it.  This still makes me smile, the simplicity stuck, it seemed crazy to light things on fire near your face with chemicals involved when I thought about it.

Smoking is not on the table.  If I knew smokes were not going to answer the question, I had to set about finding new things and better habits to replace the smoke breaks with.

I would not presume to tell you how to quit, ie e cig cold turkey etc. I think a lot of folks get hung up on this.  I tried all of them if it helps to know ;)  What works is educating yourself, especially if health fear is your starting motivator.  Play on that, you are basically going to trick your own brain until it catches up with the NEED to be heathier now. Read the newbie pinned stuff. whyquit.com gave me some powerful ammunition.

Keep talking and posting too. For a lot of us the change and success is because there were others with answers and empathy willing us forward. 

xx

• Like 2

Welcome Sin, it's good to meet you.

And congratulations on reaching out to us and wanting to kick this nasty addiction.

I know where you are coming from - I have tried to quit so many times in the past, but all of my attempts ended in abject failure.  Except this one.  And the only things I did differently this time were:- 1. Joined a quit smoking community and 2. Got educated about addiction.  Those have been my 2 primary weapons, coupled with a lot of willpower and determination :)

I don' t know how much you looked around, but we have an SOS sub-forum.  It is found here http://www.quittrain.com/topic/8-posting-an-sos/

Admin, the moderators, and some of the members here will receive alerts when a new topic is started, and we can come over and try to help you get over your craving.  It has helped many people in the past.

Looking forward to getting to know you, and remember that quitting is a journey, and not an event ;)

there are some great members here, and I hope that you make yourself at home :)

good morning Sin welcome to the train :)

you have been given a warning from your doctors, some people do not get that chance to prevent something

this is your chance to keep your health and your life

I posted this the other day http://www.quittrain.com/topic/1467-who-would-you-leave-behind/

who will you leave behind?

sorry to be blunt but this is serious stuff

we will support you in any way we can great people here from all walks of life

keep reading and posting and learning - this will be your greatest tool 

quitting is mostly mental - get your head in the right place and the rest will follow

stick to this forum as much as you can, even if you read something you do not like, its all to help you and eventually it will and you will understand

just absorb as much as you can until we find your quit

please do not be afraid - the thought of quitting is much worse than the doing

I tried all sorts of NRT to help but cold turkey has been the best for me

you can do it Sin - just jump - we will catch you 

Morn'n Sin, welcome to the "family"! :D

First, lets get one thing straight,... you are NOT stupid!!....you have an addiction, one that will kill you, come'n here - asking for help - one of the SMARTEST things you will ever do.

Next, follow all the advice above,.. read and post... and post offten...please DON'T think you can't post  just to say, "i haven't smoked in 2 hours"... posting offten - early in your quit,  helps you and us.. helps you cuz it keeps you connected to the board, lets you see your bench marks as your quit grows, because the truth about your quit and everyone else here, is it happens one minute, one hour, one day at a time....it's important to give time "Time to tick away".... marking it as you go (here) helps make your progress real... and encourage you to hang on for another minute,hour, day..

It helps us, cuz we can pick up on things that you say in your posts that are "junkie thinking".. and we can warn you of whats going on, cuz we've been there and seen it in others... folks have saved many a quit that was in danger because of it.. so post..

You haven't quit, with all your past trys for one of two reason's... one: you really don't want to quit (so look deep inside- do you want to quit? REALLY?)... if the answer is yes- you want to quit, then you have to find the # 2 reason you haven't been able to..

that is what will work for you... for some cold turkey works, for some nrt works, for some gradual withdrawal works... in combination with help and support from all of us here... so tell us/ keep us up to date on where you are in your quit...often...

Last, if your frustrated/ angry / sad.. whatever.. let us know... get'n it out  helps to keep the addiction from taking hold again.. helps you to keep your quit.. you'll be given all kinds of ideas to help you get it out of your system... then you just try some till you find what helps you, for me, it was Wii boxing...for others- screaming in a pillow - or soaking in a bath.. you just have to find what helps you.

Welcome aboard... your in good hands here, post an SOS if you need us "right now"... we'll come a run'n.. promise - your not alone in this fight anymore, we're all here for ya!    

• Like 2

Welcome to the QT Sin!  I smoked for 28 years and quit two years ago but not before I had to have a stent placed.  I'm glad you're taking your docs advice seriously.  Quitting is doable, make a committment and stick to it no matter what and I promise you that it gets easier and easier the more distance you put between yourself and your last cigarette. 

Stick around and post often. 

Nice to meet you!!

I like the way that Lace put it out there for you... Everyone's advise is excellent...

I smoked for +35 years and decided one day that enough was enough and quit cold turkey 6 months ago...

I did it with all the advise given by the great people of this board...

Listen to them and you will succeed....

Are you still with us?...

Welcome!  I am always so happy for people that are going to finally take their lives back.

I'm late to the welcome wagon but lots of good responses here.

Here is a group of people that have all been exactly where you are now, we understand completely!

And we are living proof quitting *is* doable.

We are all here for you.

Logging in here and sending out SOS messages and practically living in chat the first 3 days and reading and watching all the literature in the newbie packet made it possible for me to get a whole day clen off off nicotine . All forms--no patch, synthetic or burning it. I smoked 3 packs a day and I didn't think I could quit. I haven't smoked today, though, and those days add up if you want . Glad you are here.

• Like 2

Hi Sin, it's been a few days, how are you doing?

hi sin welcome aboard  the first 2 weeks are tuff  but you can do this  stick close to the board keeping busy help take your mind off of the crave keep some candy to suck on  post often  congrats on  quitting  youll be glad you did take it 1 day at a time  post a sos if you feel overwhelmed  some body will b e around to help :D