Am I going crazy!.?

Gordo

Hello all, new to the forums.

So 12 days ago I gave up on anything and everything that had nicotine in it, after 30 plus years.

Heres the short or try to make it a short story. 

January 1st I had 2 smokes left in my pack, said to myself I'm tired of going to the store everyday, I'm done. Haven't bought a pack since. I took up vaping again, gave that up just over 2 weeks ago. I used nicotine lozenges for a few days and quit that to, I've just had enough of anything and evrything to do with smoking. 

So here I am going bonkers, I'm full of self dought, my body and the things thats been going on for the last week or so are really making me wonder if its withdrawl or not.. My stomach is tossing and turning, making noises I only hear when I'm hungry, what I think is indigestion. I have this feeling like I have a lump in my throat, it comes and goes. I know for a fact that I'm going through bouts of anxiety, which is making me over think everything, talk so fast that my mouth can't keep up, making it harder for me to breath, etc. I went a seen my doctor yesterday, told her how I'm feeling, she checked me out, said everything looks and sounds good. 

I know from reading everyone goes through withdrawl differently, and yet sorta the same.

I'm feeling paranoid and it's driving me and my wife nuts. I guess it all kinda boils down to I need to learn to cope without smokes. Thats how I coped for 30 years, picked up a smoke.. 

I sure hope all of this passes soon... cause soon can't come soon enough!

• Like 3

Congratulations Gordo!  You’ve made the best possible decision you could make for your health and your life!

The first few weeks are tough.  No lie.  Then comes the brain fog.  Seems like it’s never gonna end.  Then, one day...the fog lifts and you sit down to dinner one night and realize you haven’t even thought about a cigarette today!  

Its best rest to just look forward.  Just focus on not smoking right now, today.  Thinking about how long it’s been.  How many hours/days/weeks whatever it’s been just plays tricks with your head.  

More than likely, you aren’t going insane.  More likely just feeling “different” than when your brain was focused on your nicotine addiction.  

Be patient.  It gets better, I promise. 

• Like 7

First of all Gordo welcome aboard.  You have made the best decision that you could have for yourself by quitting and 12 days into no nicotine of any sort -- great job.  Yes there are differences in how each of us respond to removing nicotine.  I noticed the indigestion and anxiety for the first couple of weeks  and it does get better.  There were times I wondered if I had was loosing it but it did get better for me.  I am over two months and still have cravings but it has gotten much better and I do not want to go back  again.  Try some deep breathing techniques and drinking cold water it really does help.  Come here often to read, learn, and speak with us, we have all gone through this and will be glad to help.  Keep strong you are doing good.  

• Like 7

Hi Gordo, congrats on 12 days quit. That's awesome! Everything you're going through is normal. Don't be surprised if you get  a little gassy. I used it as way overdue payback lol. Getting a checkup is great for piece of mind so I'm glad you've already done that too :)

The biggest thing to remember is we did years of damage to our bodies so it makes sense that it's going to take a while for our bodies to try to repair what we did to it. Go easy and let it dictate what it needs :)

• Like 5

Hi gordo and congrats on making the choice to quit! I agree with the others, withdrawal as the body is in shock without the nic on top of the cigg was our crutch/friend for so long. Bleeding gums, gas i was constipated for 3 weeks but it all get better as our bodies adjust  . Stick close to the site

• Like 4

Hi Gordo, welcome to the QT and congratulations on your quit!   What you are experiencing is pretty common in the first weeks of quitting.    Try replacing smoking with something else.  Something healthy like exercise or keep a bag of grapes or other healthy snack handy and when you are craving a smoke pop one in your mouth.  Drink lots and lots of water too.

You just have to give your mind and body time to heal.   I quit on impulse like you, just decided one day to not buy them anymore.  Once I'd gone a day, which I never thought was possible, I was encouraged to keep going, one day at a time.  Keep close to the board.  Folks here can help and there's lots of good reading/videos to help.  You will absolutely come to a day when smoking just is not an issue anymore. and you are going to love the freedom!  

• Like 6

Hey Gordo.. Congratulations on quitting and going nicotine free.. I quit 28 Nov but didn't give up the nicotine chewies until 2weeks ago and I've been feeling a lot of the same things as you. Its only just easing a bit with the physical stuff now so hang in there mate you can do this!

• Like 2

Welcome Gordo! Congrats on making the decision to quit. You won't regret it. You have already had great advise from those good people before me so I would just echo what they have already said. It does get better but it happens slowly. You won't notice it one day to the next but it is happening as your body and brain adjust. I didn't have the digestion issues but I did have pretty bad "brain fog" for most of the 1st month. The good news is, it all clears up eventually. Just stay the course Gordo!

Edited by reciprocity
  • Like 2

Hi Gordo. Hang tough and take it one hour and one day at a time. Read and/or watch videos on here as much as you can find time for - education about the addiction is key to being successful at it. And stay close and post often - this place can be a huge support to your quit.

We promise that all your quitting symptoms will get better and then go away - but only if you don't smoke! Welcome aboard.

• Like 1

Congratulations, G, on making one of the best decisions of your life !

You have received stellar advice and have continued support here,

use it to your advantage and read read read about your addiction.

Look forward to a healthier/wealthier  life of freedom from nicotine

and have some fun, reward yourself, show yourself kindness.

One part is that your appetite is coming back. Early in the quit a lot of us tend to eat more than normal.

Of course over a couple months or less, your appetite will level itself back to normal.

There are many possible W/D symptoms. I think most of us experience some but not others.

I know I was really hungry all the time earlier in the quit. I was also tired a lot but didn't seem to have anything else too crazy.

Hi Gordo,

Congratulations for making the decision to make the journey to freedom.

The things you describe are part of the job, but we can promise you: they will go away in time.

Some fast, some slow, but this is the way to go. :-)

Dutchess

Thanks for all of your help. 

Wife and I just got back from Vegas, had a great time. 

Today is day 20 smoke free, it's getting easier for me day by day. Man Vegas was tough some days, the smell of smoke smelt so good, and other days it was disgusting. I'm hanging in there though...

• Like 8

Hey gordo youve just done your first trip smoke free!!!! That is an amazing achievement and id say a real biggie. Do you not feel brilliant for not smoking like wow i did it? Im buzzing for you, i remember my first trips away or nights out and i was high as a kite like omg im doing this! Not long and you ll have a month under your belt. Just keep going, you got this ;)

• Like 2

I tip my hat to you Gordo: staying smoke free early in your quit in Vegas?!!! I don't think I could have done that in my early days. :11_blush: You are doing an amazing job! Glad to hear you had a good time, and good to hear from you.....

• Like 1

Welcome back from your trip Gordo and congrats on your quit. There will be ups and downs but as time goes by the ups get higher and more frequent as the downs get less profound and further in between overall. What helped me in the early months was to remember "You're not feeling like this because you quit; you're feeling like this because you smoked. The only way to permanently eliminate these feelings is to never ever ever smoke again."  NOPE pure and simple. Keep the faith, Gordo. You're well on the road to freedom!

best,

peacetrain

Edited by PeaceTrain
  • Like 3

Way to go Gordo!

The first days and weeks and sometimes months of a quit are tough and many people have moments where they feel they might be losing it. Sometimes it is just a matter of getting through the moment, second by second or minute by minute and soon enough you will feel better. I used to tell myself a few things that helped.

1. The only way to out is through. (This is the escape from the nicotine addiction.)

2. Smoking won't solve any problem it just makes everything worse.

3. This too shall pass.

• Like 1