Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Quit Train, A Quit Smoking Support Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Quit - Bronchitis Kicking My Butt

Featured Replies

Ok so I’ve decided to quit once and for all. The fact I currently have bronchitis and am ill helps. I feel like crud and have for days, have missed work all week, on antibiotics and 2 inhalers. Bleh. Would love to sleep but the coughing is non-stop. This is better than what I face if I kept smoking, though. Missed the smelly cigs first couple days but now just annoyed by the thought of ‘em. I may be friendlier once I’m not feeling so sick and can sleep. Wonderful group here, I can tell. It’s been 3 going on 4 days smoke-free.

Congrats on making a wise choice to quit smoking! Remember how you feel now after you get better if you ever think of smoking again. I have a friend who quit for this same reason, i was on the phone with him and he couldnt even laugh without choking. Awesome on the 3 days under your belt.

Congratulations! This board has been so helpful to me, I am sure you will find the same! 4 days is awesome!

Hi CAquitter, congrats on almost 4 days quit :) I used to get sick minimum four times a year when I smoked and 9 out of 10 times it would end up with bronchitis too. It reeks havoc on your lungs and you lose a little more function each time. Since quitting I've been sick ONE time and it was such a light cold it was awesome! I couldn't believe that an easy cold even existed. My point is to you that you are going to love the renewed power your body has to fight things like colds once you quit.

Remember this cold and keep it at the forefront of reasons you're quitting each time you think you may cave to a crave. I hope you feel better soon :)

Hey CAquitter...great to see you here and doin that hard yards. Keep goin, I can't offer much to help with the quit side because your doing so well but here are some home remedies to help with ya bronchitis...

Honey - a natural antibiotic that also coats your throat which eases the pain from coughing. Just take it by the spoonful.  If ya can get it NZ mananuka honey is the best.

Lemon - both antiseptic and an expectorant (clears the crap out)... juice a lemon into a mug an fill with boilin watef from the kettle...you can add honey (to taste) ... my grandma always added a good shot of brandy, but you could also add rum or wiskey if you wanted.

the Vindaloo Cure - I don't know how it helps but it does..... get an extra, exta, exta hot vindaloo an force yaself to eat thd lot.

vics - vic on ya chest and back but at bed time cover the souls of your feet with vics then put on thick socks like explorers... put a beanie on ya head and slep like that. 

Ginger - boil some sliced fresh giner in water for 5 mins then drink like tea. You can add hobey and lemon to this.

hope a on the mend and keep strong with ta quit.

Welcome aboard CAquitter.

 

Being annoyed by cigarettes is an appropriate response, build on that.  Read some of the articles and watch some of the videos available here.  The more you know about nicotine addiction and cigarettes, the more you'll want to banish that nonsense from your life entirely.

 

Congratulations on choosing to take back your life.

Hi CAquitter, glad to have you join us.

 

Quitting is absolutely the best thing you can do for your health - and your entire life - and I congratulate you on making that brave decision. Build on these first 4 days you have in. Read everything you can find time for about the addiction, as education is essential for us to overcome it. Learn why we live by the NOPE pledge. Plan some craving strategies.

 

Quitting isn't easy, but it's very doable and might not even be as bad as you think. Welcome aboard. Stay in touch.

I was wondering how you were doing CA. I too quit when I had bronchitis and it was really a blessing in disguise because I think that was what kept me off them in the early days. The lack of sleep is really annoying because I experienced that too in those early days. Just get sleep as you can for now. The health issues will not stay with you forever so just ride it out for now. Having smoking become an annoying thought - that's great!! That's exactly where you want to be mentally :) Stay strong CAquitter. We're rooting for ya!

v5wfn9.jpg

CAquitter -- congrats on the 4 days at this point.  Remember why you quit during this period and remember how it made you feel and use that as a foundation -- that along with the thought of how annoying that they are.  Stay strong and get better.  

Big congratulations to you, CA!  Four days is huge and you're well on your way now.  I got my first case of bronchitis about 9 months before I quit, and I still remember coughing and straining and forcing my lungs to work well enough to get a few hits off a cigarette, which wasn't easy.  Then I smoked another and another as it got a little easier, possibly causing permanent damage.   You are obviously making a much better choice and you will thank yourself for this forever.  Keep up the great work and we will be rooting you on!

Congratulations! You're in the hardest period. Stay close to the board, write, read, rant and cry, whenever you need. We're folks from around the globe and each time zone is covered, there'll always be someone when you need support.

Hi and welcome aboard...

Congrats in taking back your life from the slavery smoking is....

You have had great advice above...settle in here..have a good look around...there is tons of info for you...

All the tobacco has now left your body...I'm sure it is very grateful...you can do it....

So sorry you are feeling so sick, hope you get well soon.

 

Education about the addiction is a powerful tool for your quit - I hope you start reading every chance you get once you are feeling up to it.

Take a wooden spoon and gently tap tap tap your back,  this helps loosen everything up.

I used to do it in a hot shower.

Put a ton of pillows under your upper body so you are not laying flat.

 

The miracle is that I haven't had to use any of these techniques , I learned from a  respiratory nurse,  since I quit smoking.

 

Congratulations on your quit and feel better soon.

It's great that you've decided to quit and also making good use of a bad time as it is. Congrats. Keep us posted on how you are going. 

Welcome to the board, CAQuitter.  I'm sorry about your bronchitis but I'm glad you decided to quit smoking. 

 

There is a lot of valuable information here on this site as well as support from some awesome folks here.  Take advantage of both as they can really help you stay smoke free.

Are you starting to heal?  Are you reading everything on this site in order to “keep your quit”.  We are very understanding & empathetic - just share your thoughts & we will help!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.