Hello. My name is Barb, and I'm a nicotine addict

babs609

I would have to say my smoking career started young.  I have been exposed to nicotine all my life.  Beginning in the womb, to exposure in the house with 2 smoking parents and then in my teens when I officially became a smoker.  My father quit at the age of 45 and developed lung cancer at the age of 60.  He died within a month of diagnosis from complications.  In retrospect, that was a blessing because he didn't have to go through with the suffering of dying from the cancer itself which was inevitable.  It was inoperable and he was at stage 4.

I promised him I would quit smoking.  I read Allen Carr's book and quit for 3 months.  Unfortunately, the strength I had in the beginning of the quit was weakening and I had that 1 puff.  If I had support like this forum, I would not have gone back.  I would have truly understood the laws of addiction and the concept of NOPE.  Fast forward 8 years....read that book again and this time found an online support forum.  

Support means everything and I am proud to say I am 21 months smober!!  Quitting is easy.....staying quit is the challenge--however having a support system to go to and daily reminders of NOPE...made my quit journey not only doable...but enjoyable.

If I can do it...anyone can!

• Like 12

Nice to see you Babs,

It's a tough lived we lived isn't it? In all of this time I never knew this part of your smoking story. I can relate to it. We lost so much didn't we, and none of us knew we had so much to live for, until it started slipping away? 21 months is awesome! :)

Markus

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

well I figured this was a good place to post here......At this time, I am just 4 months shy of my 3 year nosmo anniversary.  I would say for the past 6 years I've been on a spiritual journey...which ultimately lead me to quit smoking..and then finishing up that transformation by eating healthy and exercise regularly. 

If you are still smoking....it is CRUCIAL that you concentrate on quitting smoking FIRST.  For some reason...we focus so much more on what's on the outside.  My weight loss is so much more than that.  How I look on the outside is just a reflection of how I feel on the inside and it NEVER would have been possible had I not quit smoking first.  Quitting smoking is what gave me the confidence to keep going.  Quitting smoking is what helped clear my lungs and slow my pulse rate so that when I did exercise..I didn't feel like I was dying.  Quitting smoking taught me a lot about committment to myself...and patience.  Patience...patience...patience.

10473639_10204049769868457_6017426372519

• Like 5

pictures again!

Really, Quite a transformation.

Thanks, for the thoughts too!

there was a time when I HATED my picture taken....lol...now I better stop.  This is it though...I don't think I will be transforming any more.....just hopefully maintaining and definitely staying smoke free. 

Thanks Mike!

• Like 1