Daily exercise log for everyone :)

Back on track , I think lol . 

Continuing on with walks however shorter but more often but I would like to get back to the same routine as previous which included weights . So all talk and no action won't get me there , so today I commit myself to picking up those weights as well . I have a few nice u tube workouts for that . 

Our gyms are re opening .  I used to be one who managed to do my excersise without support but this old geezer now likes working out at the gym because the company there pushes me .

I am also pretty exited as well outdoor pools are reopening but staying clear of those and waiting for the indoor one to open where I can do laps again . I'm not a great swimmer but I get by .

I also took my bike over to a neighbors for adjustments .

Swimming  I think I'll leave more as my winter activity and I walk on the 3 lane indoor track . Summers are short I'll walk outside, and give my bike a go , gee hope I don't break my neck lol and I do my weights on deck . 

So a lot of post just to say I am committed to walking and weights today lol . 

Everyone have a good day . 

• Like 2

Weird morning for me. Woke up a bit anxious with my heart beating faster than normal, and felt a bit lightheaded. Being an RN, I took an extra dose of my Beta Blocker to slow my heart, and when I felt a bit better, I did my morning workout, rather than skip it. Because I took the med, I couldn’t get quite to my target heart rate, but I did get close. Had I skipped my morning workout, I would have felt like I let myself down. I’m not sure if being so driven is always a good thing, but I feel fine, now. 😊

• Like 3

Glad to hear you are feeling better @Katgirl Nothing wrong with a day of rest either but I do understand . 

I've had to adjust heart meds in the past due to fast HR but on advise of my doctor . Do take care of you . 

Off to mall walk today . It's pouring rain today , did a drenching walk with the dog this morning , now my turn . It will be busy I'm sure as retail stores are open to more people now . I'm ok with it . 

“I've had to adjust heart meds in the past due to fast HR but on advise of my doctor . Do take care of you . “
Thanks, Abby.  Because I am an RN, my Doc knows that I know what I am doing, so it’s all good. My heart has a tendency to get tachy,  for no apparent reason, at times. So, I always have appropriate meds on hand.

Edited by Katgirl

Good job, Doreen! I got a late start. I spent the morning……uh hum ….um er …celebrating! 😳

So, it was afternoon, before I got out of bed and did my first walk. Luckily, it is rather cool here today, with the high expected to be 73 degrees F. I will do my second walk about an hour after dinner. I am very proud of myself, for not skipping a single workout, since starting, over 3 weeks ago. 40 minutes a day of moderate intensity cardio is actually above the recommended amount  by whoever it is that decides these things, in the US.😊

Edited by Katgirl
  • Like 1

That's good @Katgirl. Unfortunately I have to see the dr to have Meds changed lol .  Had tachy as well, changed meds and all good . 

My daughter ,2 sister in laws  ,niece and nephews wife are all RNs as well , all in different departments . 

Great job on the excersise and quit . You know your stuff ! 

Off for my 40 min walk w pup the best part of my work out day . Weather looking good here tomorrow , changed my mind pools are opening with limited capacity and bookings so starting lane swim . It will take me a while to build up my endurance with that but going to be good for my COPD lungs and mental health . 

Everyone have a great day . 

• Like 1

Ever notice some workouts are harder than others, even though you are repeating the same routine? I really didn’t feel like going for that 2nd power walk this evening. I felt a bit sluggish. In response to that feeling, I pushed myself to go a little faster than usual. I have a dedicated course mapped out, that normally takes 17 laps, to complete a full 20 minutes. This evening It took 19 laps. That should tell you something about my personality! “Don’t feel like it, huh? I’ll show me!” 😳😂

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Katgirl said:

“Don’t feel like it, huh? I’ll show me!” 😳😂

@Katgirl Love that!

I tried to go trail running the other night and it's a different kind of difficult (to road running) and my legs felt tired quite soon. I needed some of that attitude... next time I'll show me :).

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Wow that's is a catchy phrase @Katgirl love it . 

Did my 40 min walk this morn w pup , the uphill route this time so I understand what you are saying @d2e8b8 . Slight inclines make a difference . I will see what the rest of the day brings later .

Have a good day everyone .  

• Like 2

Have been safe from incidents on my walks till this week. Beginning of week I had a car circle back around 4 times. I ended up cutting my walk short to be on the safe side and hid by the living room window to see if they passed down the street again, they did not, probably nothing but it felt better not to take chances. Yesterday for the first time had a dog come at me but I kept walking like a boss, like who afraid of the big bad wolf ;) and he/she went back home. The benefits of moving truly wonderful, the flexibility, the new found energy and sense of well being. On days I feeling a bit not into it, I remind myself of all the people I use to visit at the nursing home before covid hit (sadly have not seen any of them in like 1 1/2 years now) how most of them cannot walk and all the health problems that brought them to the nursing home. It is a great motivator. Keep moving! :)

Edited by Dianne
  • Like 4

Another heat wave is upon us, so I will have to do my second walk, after the sun goes down. I am amazed that I haven’t missed one in the three weeks I have been doing this. I am down 10 pounds, which I needed to lose, so a little less stress on the joints and my heart. I can stand to lose 10 more. I am a bit concerned about how I can keep this up over vacation, but one idea is that I will try to find hotels with exercise rooms. Also, when visiting National Parks, along the way, I can do my walking.

• Like 4

On 6/11/2021 at 10:44 PM, Katgirl said:

Ever notice some workouts are harder than others, even though you are repeating the same routine?

Yes.  Some days I am hitting on all cylinders.  Other days, it's a grind just to get to the end of a workout.  There's a lot to be said for just punching the clock and doing the work on those days when you're not really feeling it.

On 6/12/2021 at 12:43 AM, d2e8b8 said:

I tried to go trail running the other night and it's a different kind of difficult (to road running) and my legs felt tired quite soon. I needed some of that attitude... next time I'll show me :).

Trail running can definitely set your legs on fire.  However, I found that my legs tired more quickly on the trails but felt better the next day as opposed to running on the road or the treadmill.  My joints ached more and I felt more of a kind of lingering fatigue following road runs.  I figure it was the variation found on the trails as opposed to the repetitiveness of hitting the road.  Like with most things in life, there are trade-offs.

As for my regimen, I'm still focusing on conditioning and bodyweight exercises; building most of my workouts around a boxing routine.

This morning, me and the family got out bright and early to beat the heat.  Did a short hike at Deep Creek and I got to do a bit of sport climbing for the first time in over a year.  Being somewhat out of form, I stuck to lower graded climbs.  Warmed up on a 5.8.  Did a couple of 5.9s and completed one 5.10b.  It felt good to get back on some rock.

Had a nice little post-workout cooldown...splashing around in a creek with my daughter and dog.  It was a good day.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Dianne said:

Beginning of week I had a car circle back around 4 times.

Yesterday for the first time had a dog come at me but I kept walking like a boss, 

You did well to stay safe, never know what's going on.

Where I'm running these days, it's farm land and country roads and unfortunately it means dogs with no fences and they get excited to see someone running.  I'm now picking my routes to avoid those streets which is a shame as I kind of like doing different routes.

4 hours ago, Boo said:

Trail running can definitely set your legs on fire. 

As for my regimen, I'm still focusing on conditioning and bodyweight exercises; 

Went back to the trail this weekend and completed 10k with a few walk breaks.  Legs, just above the ankle area, were on fire but ... I showed me.   Met a little snake on the trail but it quickly slithered away before I could get the phone out.

I avoid treadmill for the repetitive motion (plus mindless boredom).  Road running is similar though not quite as bad perhaps.  Plan to do more trail running - get those muscles strengthened.

Last week I finally paid premium price to buy some used plates and dumbbells and an exercise mat.  Don't have the space for a bench or barbell.  I'm finding you can do a lot with bodyweight and dumbbells and am enjoying doing some weight training after months.  However, it's kind of difficult to do bench press without a bench.

• Like 3

@d2e8b8, you can do a lot with a nice set of barbells. Look online for suggested routines. Funny you guys mentioned weight training. I also want to get into that.  First, I need to order a set of barbells. I know what to get. Then, I will follow my own advise, and seek out some appropriate routines,  for toning and strengthening my upper body.

• Like 3

@Katgirl, I've been learning on youtube.

There's this runner I admire and was watching some of his youtube videos and at some point his mom's video came up running with him at age 78.  Then another one popped up doing push ups at age 81.  You never know where inspiration is hiding.  If our words help you to get started, it's what we hope for, isn't it - to make a difference in 1 person's life.

Edited by d2e8b8
  • Like 3