Daily exercise log for everyone :)

Did my second walk, already. Sometimes I just want to “git er done!” The past few days, I felt like I wasn’t going quite as fast, so I added two additional laps to each walk. A lap takes a little over a minute. I thought it might help compensate. The problem with me is, that now I will be unable to NOT add those additional laps, because I’m a bit OCD, not clinically, but it’s definitely part of my personality. 

• Like 1

I’m in trouble……NOW, @d2e8b8! Since it’s going up to 100 degrees today, I figured I better do a workout and 1/2, so did 30 laps, this morning, instead of my just increased 20 laps. I was going to push it to 40, but a little voice inside my head said, “Cool it, Kat! That’s enough!” This way, if it’s dangerously hot this evening, I will only feel half as guilty, if I have to skip it. Mind you, I have been doing this 7 days a week, which I know isn’t necessary, but apparently, it is, for me….

• Like 1

Warming up here in So Cal also but not quite as bad as Katgirl's neighborhood. I've been acclimating pretty well to the heat- so far so good. I make sure to constantly hydrate- all day and not just at exercise time. Also make sure to stay aware of sweat rate during my rides & runs- when you stop sweating thats bad news. 

Stay healthy happy & smoke free!

• Like 2

Doing well . Still the same ol thing for me so not sharing as it's nothing new . 

If you dont sweat you are dehydrated ? Muscles cramp ?  Can you share . Sorry can't mention my letters and numbers are froze on my computer . 

• Like 1

Added stair climbing a few weeks ago - at 1,200 steps now (with breaks) and targeting 2,000.  Some people there are monsters doing 6,000 steps.  One day there was a girl who would have to be in her 9th month pregnancy.

Our gyms are still closed but I noticed one gym has set up outside and is letting limited people use the equipment.  They said they allow one-off use at $20 which I might just use to add some variations not possible with dumbbells alone.  Of course, equipment has never the real issue, it's about getting off the backside and doing it :).

• Like 2

Been missing some walks because we so much rain lately, so have been working out online which is good but not the same as getting out. Was happy to get out this morning but felt rather defeated by the 97% humidity even at 5:30 a.m. and ended up cutting my walk short because it was like breathing in heavy water. Just ugh!

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Doreensfree said:

Question.....

Is it worth me getting a fitbit ????.....

If so any recommendations....not too expensive....👍

My opinion is they're great

Depending on what sort of data you're looking for price varies

I use a garmin and love it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BKP said:

I find my Fitbit to be a real motivator.  As a matter of fact I'm sort of OCD when it comes to hitting my daily goals and maintaining my consecutive days with 10K steps or more.

Fitbit has many models to choose from.  There are 2 general categories:

• Trackers (Less expensive, basic tracking functions)
  • Smart Watch (Advanced functionality.....Alexa, texting, music, etc.)

Sounds like you'd be more into the trackers.  Both the Inspire 2 and the Charge 4 are $99.95 USD.  Check out their website for more details.

Thanks ...I agree ,I think more a tracker will be enough for me ...

I will check these out .👍😀

• Like 2

I'm a pretty motivated person and love challenges.

Some days, just like everyone, i'm just not feeling it and want to just do nothing.

Funny how those days, when I push myself out the door to exercise anyways, become the best workouts.

They make me the strongest.

When I quit smoking, there were days when I just wanted to take a puff.

Maybe even smoke just one.

But I didn't- I pushed through.

Funny how those days made my quit that much stronger today

I see some resemblance- it's called dedication.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, BKP said:

When I smoked the biggest thing that prevented me from exercising was my shortness of breath. By the time I was in my 40's I was 15-20 lbs. overweight and a certified couch potato.  In 2015 I finally took the biggest step to regaining my fitness when I quit smoking.  But I'm not gonna lie....that first year I piled on a lot of weight.  Ultimately I decided it was time for a full lifestyle change.

Started eating healthy. Got a Fitbit and began walking a minimum of 5 miles/day.  Became a hiking fanatic (at least 75 miles/month). Also work out at home 3-4 times per week.  Now I'm in my 50's and feel fit AF.  More energy than ever.  Some damage from smoking is irreversible, but there is a lot you can do to regain your health.

Step one is QUIT SMOKING.

image.png.31ad92145b6b295d02627628fb47e579.png 

Desert hike - April 2021

Nice scenery Sweetie ...

Your so right ...I feel more healthy now ,than twenty years ago ...

Quitting smoking opens the door ....

• Like 3

Not exactly exercise. Been spring cleaning while I off caretaking duty for mom. Actually is a work out. Thank goodness for the walks and online work outs. It has made this spring cleaning so much easier. 

• Like 3

Running is always hard for me but in this humidity it's like forcing your body to move in quicksand.  The brain tries to convince you it's ok to cut it short, let's just turn around early.

Watching lots of youtube - there's a lot you can do with bodyweight and dumbbells,  I have to get off the butt and do it.  1 video I found the guy did at least 10 different exercises using a park bench.  I guess I will now see empty park benches as an opportunity.

• Like 4

I wonder why it is I hit depression slumps in the fitness aspects of my life . I'm not one of the lucky ones as others I suppose that can maintain a good exercise regiment and it shows in weight fluctuations . I get down on myself then I begin emotional eating . It a never ending cycle . I don't want to be the perfect size just not have these dips and waves of feeling good then the huge  let down . It's so hard on my body and mind and spirit . 

I am literally envious of those who dont need to work so hard to be fit and healthy and can eat everything and anything . 

This to me is harder than quitting smoking . 

Any way out ? BTW some of this is age and medication struggle . Can't stop either of those . Any ideas or tips welcomed. 

The best motivation I've had is encouragement here  , but I'll be leaving shortly . All suggestions welcomed . 

Edited by Abby
  • Like 1

I find it hard to motivate myself also which is why I watch the videos of these amazing runners.  That way, for the next couple of runs I imagine myself running with the same effortless grace (although in reality it's still the slow tortured shuffle that I like to pretend is a run).

Edited by d2e8b8
  • Like 2

On 6/27/2021 at 9:28 AM, Abby said:

I wonder why it is I hit depression slumps in the fitness aspects of my life . I'm not one of the lucky ones as others I suppose that can maintain a good exercise regiment and it shows in weight fluctuations . I get down on myself then I begin emotional eating . It a never ending cycle . I don't want to be the perfect size just not have these dips and waves of feeling good then the huge  let down . It's so hard on my body and mind and spirit . 

Expect good days and bad days.  Expect fluctuations in your weight.  They're gonna happen, so you might as well expect them to happen.  It's less of a surprise that way.

World class athletes do not maintain peak physical condition year-round.  It's not uncommon for top-ranked boxers to come into camp overweight and a bit out of shape.  They put in the work during training camp and are in prime condition on fight night...ideally.  Then the cycle begins all over again.

As for those fitness models on Instagram who are perpetually in perfect shape, there is a lot of smoke and mirrors involved in that.  Or more specifically a lot of Photoshop.  Don't compare yourself to those people.  They present an unrealistic and disingenuous view of what healthy living should look like.

I've been eating clean for a few weeks now.  However, last week we had a birthday party for my daughter.  I ate cheeseburgers and potato wedges.  I had cake and ice cream.  I didn't beat myself up over it.  I'm not going to spend a wonderful day with family and friends fretting over calories and macros.  I'll get back to eating clean tomorrow.  Besides one day of indulgence in not going to derail my entire fitness routine.  I get a little fat every year around Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's Day.  It's not a big problem.  January rolls around and I get my ass into gear.

Live your life.  Do the right things more often than not.  Accept the fact that some days are going to be better than others.

image.png.20d76a23f78cc90e5bd09becb25b65db.png

• Like 6

All of us are built differently physically and mentally.

Embrace YOU!

Love YOU!

Own your gifts and talents for no one else brings what YOU have to the table. 

Thank you for being YOU because it keeps the world an interesting place to be and would not be the same without YOU

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1