Pre-Quit Post

Lilly

So I had a quit going but relapsed. This may sound a bit silly but I've tried to quit lots of times and know that some have been ok and others were a living hell (my last quit fell into the living hell category).  

A couple of lovely ladies suggested I don't stay away until I quit and I'm going to take their advice. The reason I think they're right is because this time I need to do things differently. The things I'm going to change to make this next quit stick is tell everyone I'm quitting.  I haven't done that previously and I think that's because I've never truly meant it. It's like I hide it so I have permission to cave in and that has to stop. I'm going to join in and ask for help when I'm feeling I can't carry on. I haven't done that before either and I think that might be so you don't talk me out of it. I'm going to quit and stick with it. If I have to eat my own weight in chocolate or bore you all to tears for hours making it all about me me me then I'll do it. Lastly I'm going to listen to all the advice that is given on here by those who have gone before me. 

I haven't picked a specific quit date yet. I'm going to because I think that will help me to prepare. It is my birthday on Saturday and I want to have started my quit before then. I refuse to let another birthday go by as a smoker. 

If you get time it would be really helpful if you would share any hints and tips for the first week so that I can keep referring to this thread. 

Edited by Lilly
Punctuation
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Glad you have decided to quit again before your birthday Lily, what a nice gift to give yourself :) One thing that really helped me prepare was to quit smoking where I normally would. This helped me disassociate those places with smoking and I didn't crave when I walked into that particular area :) 

• Like 5

Welcome to the  Train Lilly, and I agree what a great birthday gift to yourself. I kept myself as busy as I could. Quitting is different for everyone and for the first few weeks I was really tired, so it's good to rest too, whatever your body wants to do, go along with it. Be kind to yourself and pamper yourself, as you are healing.

Give yourself regular little treats, as you will be able to afford things better now you are not spending it on cigarettes, this also keeps the motivation going.

Spend as much time on here as you can, reading and posting, it really helps a a lot.

Youtube has great relaxing sleep music which helped me in the early days.

Believe in yourself, you CAN do this, you have to really want it.

• Like 6

I'm glad your hanging around and so happy you are going to give the whole quit think another try.

So here are some typical and maybe not so typical tips...

Time of the month ... only works for chicks who still have periods.... but if you quit during the luteal stage of your period (so after ovulation, but best about 5-10 days before you are due) your hormones can help with your quit... you see the hormone levels of estrogen and progesterone at that time of month suppress addictive tendencies... so that is a good time of the month to quit... also, if you quit during pre-ovulation its not the best time because the hormones intensify addictions at that time of the month... so all the detox stuff is worse.... so if you still have one, check your cycle for the best time to quit. I have been reading heaps on this so that I could do a post about it in the quit forum... its really interesting and I know for me that when I quit this time it was during the luteal stage and this quit has felt different from the get go.

Fluids... stay hydrated... use water,  or juice... juice is good it keeps your blood sugar up too.

Rewards.... give yourself rewards right from the get go.

Start preparing by smoking in a different place, not smoking while you have a coffee... so start changing some of the routine you use for smoking.

I have a series of steps I have to fulfill before you can smoking.... I never get beyond the first few so its never an issue.

Write your own response to your SOS... and post it in the thread for that.... I go back and re-read mine again and again... it is really helpful to remind me why I wont smoke... I update mine from time to time to keep it current and valid. Also this helps us know how to respond to an SOS if you post one.... some people need their hand held and to be told it will be all right, some people need a good kick up the bum and some need a reality check and to be told to pull their head in.

So I started with an odd one, lets finish with an odd one.... put some essential oils that are a smell you really like on to a hanky... then when something good happens have a sniff... you brain will make a connection between the good smell and something good happening.... then when you quit and you make it an hour without smokes have sniff... when you get a crave and you beat it have a sniff... it will help with the re-wiring... I didn't use this but I wish I had... I used a similar technique when studying... each subject had a different scent that I would burn while I studied and when I was in an exam I would have a hanky with a drop or two of the subjects scent and if I got a block and couldn't remember something I would have a sniff of the hanky and it would help me remember... I had a rough day at softball and was using some flower one of the littlies had picked for me and when I would get the urge and beat it I'd have a sniff... then when I would get the urge I'd sniff and it would be easier to beat.... I know it sounds weird but its not going to hurt to try.

Biggest thing... you know yourself better than any of the rest of us... you quit the way your feel comfortable.... we will all have your back....

So build your quit tool box, get all your ducks in a row and when  your ready beat this addiction, because you can do this.

Edited by notsmokinjo
  • Like 5

As stated above do a lot of reading and research on this site, education yourself all you can about this addiction -- it will help and motivate you.  I drank a  lot of cold water and used deep breathing techniques (you can add an air cigarette -- a plastic straw cut to the length of a cigarette -- helps with the movement and the breathing).  Also coming here every day, more if you have to, and doing the daily NOPE pledge -- it may seem hokey but it really helped me.  And come here a lot, there are some really good people here though at times we can a bit quirky.  

• Like 6

Oh guys this is brilliant stuff. So many great ideas that I can't wait to put into practice. I wouldn't have thought of any of this on my own. 

I guess I'm starting to realise what it means to be part of the community. 

• Like 3

14nk9pl.jpg

Congratulations Lilly! There's nothing to it but to do it! 

Start reading about nicotine addiction, get your snacks and distractions ready, and just do it! Don't give yourself an out; smoking is now off the table...you are dealing with a serious drug addiction. I'm sure you wouldn't watch someone snort lines of cocaine in front of you 20 times a day and *hope* they quit...you would beg them and plead with them to take care of themselves and mean it. 

We're ready if you are Lilly, all aboard!!

• Like 5

You have received a bunch of really good tips and suggestions that will help you quit Lilly. Personal commitment is a huge part of any successful quit! Make a commitment to YOURSELF never to smoke again. Not One Puff Ever! It may have been said already somewhere but, figure out which cigarette was the most important one to you. That first smoke in the morning? A smoke after a meal? What ever one it is for you, change up your routine during that time. Just a little in some way that will require you to focus more on what you;re doing and not automatically think of needing a smoke. If it's that first one in the morning - jump in the shower or bath 1st thing so you can't light up.  Cut out your morning coffee or tea if that prompted you to smoke before - you get the idea.

• Like 3

I had a number of short quit attempts over my past few years as a smoker and became very discouraged.

I found that joining a quit smoking support group, like this one, really helped me quit smoking for good and I might not have quit otherwise. 

You will gain a lot of support in your quit journey as well as learn a lot about nicotine addiction (knowledge is power).  It will also help hold you accountable in your quit.  Being active here can really help, especially in the early days.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Lilly said:

If you get time it would be really helpful if you would share any hints and tips for the first week so that I can keep referring to this thread. 

As others have already stated: education about the addiction is a game changer.  Read the articles.  Watch the videos.

Commit to the quit fully.  Smoking is not an option.  The cigarettes are off the table.  Whatever happens...YOU DO NOT SMOKE.

Don't make quitting complicated.  There are two rules for a successful quit: (1) Don't put anything in your mouth and set it on fire.  (2) If you have further questions, refer back to Rule #1.

• Like 5

You guys are something else. I just can't get over all these tips to help me out. 

I feel different tonight. I'm taking every single word on board and I'm excited about preparing and then putting it all into practice. 

The real thank you to you all will be when I post that I made my first day ?

Goodnight all. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Boo said:

As others have already stated: education about the addiction is a game changer.  Read the articles.  Watch the videos.

Commit to the quit fully.  Smoking is not an option.  The cigarettes are off the table.  Whatever happens...YOU DO NOT SMOKE.

Don't make quitting complicated.  There are two rules for a successful quit: (1) Don't put anything in your mouth and set it on fire.  (2) If you have further questions, refer back to Rule #1.

^^This ....

• Like 3

Today I have bought lots and I mean lots of quit treats. I've got puzzle books, long lasting sweets like soft chewy caramels, crisps, books and finger food such as nice cheese, olives and dips. 

I am trying Jo's idea and have gone for Bergamot oil. Apparently it is supposed to relax you. 

I'm not sure if the quit tool box is just an imaginary item but I bought an actual box too ?

Quit date is set for Thursday so will be back and will be bringing my "A Game."

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Bergamot is the perfumey flavour in Earl Grey tea so you can have some of that as a treat too... in our house we call it Lady Tea because it is good for cramps and is a muscle relaxant and anti-spasmodic so it is good for those times of the month that ladies need relief from cramps. I can't come at it but the kid is obscessed and has it full of sugar and with milk...even takes a thermos of the stuff to school.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Lilly said:

Today I have bought lots and I mean lots of quit treats. I've got puzzle books, long lasting sweets like soft chewy caramels, crisps, books and finger food such as nice cheese, olives and dips. 

I am trying Jo's idea and have gone for Bergamot oil. Apparently it is supposed to relax you. 

I'm not sure if the quit tool box is just an imaginary item but I bought an actual box too ?

Quit date is set for Thursday so will be back and will be bringing my "A Game."

Good idea, call that your quit smoking starter kit

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Lilly said:

I'm not sure if the quit tool box is just an imaginary item but I bought an actual box too

This made me giggle! but it's probably a great idea to have an actual visualization of your toolbox??

Make a quit list of all the reasons you want to quit and put it in there too! 

• Like 3

Arm yourself with everything you can think of and pay serious attention to the armory of knowledge here on site. You will have plenty of ammunition and when needed, remember your troops here are ready to assist you in any way we can. I am really pleased to  see you preparing you quit.

Yay you !!!

Edited by Sazerac
  • Like 3