Group Discussion WK/45-Hey, you smoked for 42 years! Why on earth would you think you can get past the addiction in a couple of months? Cut yourself a

Hey, you smoked for 42 years! Why on earth would you think you can get past the addiction in a couple of months? Cut yourself a break, for Pete's sake.

The physical dependence ends rather quickly but the mental side of the addiction is how we beat it or why we relapse.

All of the things that cause triggers after nicotine has left your body are mostly mental.  They can be memories, smells, a particular song, a ritual like smoking after dinner or with morning coffee, the first snowfall and the list can go on and on.

It's going to take an entire year to experience the full cycle of life without smoking.  For some the triggers are few and far between while for others they're daily.

What were some of things that caused you triggers early on and how often do you get them now and what are they?  One thing we know for sure is that the longer you stay quit, the less frequent they become until you can't even picture yourself smoking.

It doesn't matter if your 1 week quit or 5 years.  Please share your experiences, past and present regarding triggers because with that comes hope and confidence for those who are struggling on their journey of their first full year without smoking.

• Like 4

For me - 

The rituals. First smoke in the morning, after eating..those were the toughest craves initially. I changed routines up and focused on understanding the nature of triggers - understanding that all habits can be changed - and that the only thing causing a desire for the next cigarette was the previous cigarette.

Then - I found myself hankering for a cigarette when the Spring came..again, analysing where the trigger came from, why, helped me overcome them.

Even now - 9 months quit - I get the odd trigger. Sometimes a strong one. But I'm experienced now - I ignore it - and surprise surprise, it goes away.

• Like 7

Agree with all the above,.. for me a big trigger (habit) was talking on the phone, I reached for a cig before I answered the phone, lit one before I made a call, then chain smoked the entire time I talked... it was one of the hardest for me to get passed, I tried lollipops, Twizzlers, cinnamon toothpicks,pacing back and forth... but what worked for me was twirling  my hair with my free hand.. don't know why it works for me, and I really don't care why it works ( I still do it ).. it works and thats all that matters... goes to show - it's important  to keep trying things until you find one that works for you and your particular  smoking related trigger / habit... 

• Like 4

When I first quit, after the all the time cravings ended, I had alot of triggers such as the after work cig . They faded one by one. One of the most lingering was the first cig in the morning. Now I get some thoughts when driving in the car or when thinking about,strangely, fun times, such as vacation or a night out with friends. I do not think about smoking when stressed. I get wistful, as if smoking was ansign of youth, or freedom. I do this too with other substances. So, these are thoughts, not cravings. I dismiss these by imagining the death smoke filling my lungs, reversing the healing, and the disappointment of my family, friends and me.

• Like 5

Once in a blue moon a trigger escapes.  It's like nothing to deal with now though.  Like flicking a bug off your shoulder.  Every time you face down a trigger in the beginning, it builds up your strength.  Each trigger from then on out will become easier and easier to deal with.  Guaranteed :)

• Like 4

Once you convince your brian that you are finally ready to quit Nicotine for good, the triggers will fade away or just become an after thought.

It really is like that one nut farmer always says whether we like hearing it or not " Easy Peasy " 

Smile And Embrace The Quit  :)

• Like 7

I had been putting a drug in my body for 52years at least,20 times a day....

I knew my quit was not going to be a walk in the park...I didn't know how to live with out it....

Everything I did reminded me of the dam things...

I read Allen Carr....I read everything I could on the subject...I searched the Internet....

In the end ..I felt like Rambo....ready and armed.....

I fought the craves with all my knowledge....some were easy....some not so.....

I can still get a crave....a thought....but know that's all it is....

Somewhere deep in my memory....I had a life where smoking meant more to me than anything....

Now...anything is more important than a smoke....

There is only one way.....n.o.p.e.......

• Like 13

I had smoked for so many years I didn't think I could quit as I had so many things that would trigger me to want a smoke. It has been a while since I've had a trigger but in the beginning everything was a trigger.

A smoke first thing in the morning was a must!

Whenever I was on the phone, another huge trigger.

Every time I got in the car I would light up.

After meals was automatically smoke time!

Any little job I finished reward time was a smoke.

That is just a few of my triggers.

I figure for the rest of my life there will be a trigger when I least expect it to crop up but they are now very few and far between and just a fleeting moment! Just have to remember NOPE!!!!

• Like 7

Yep same as Fay^^^^^^^^^ and alcohol and cig went hand in hand,

Don't miss a single one of them except when I am ossified (drunk) and out with smokers, that is literally the only trigger I ever get, once in a blue moon, well because I rarely get out lol

• Like 5

I have to say that Saturday cleaning for some reason gives me a craving.  I guess I used it as a reward to take a break from the cleaning, so after each room I would go outside and have a smoke before continuing on.  I still get one or two craves on Saturday now, but not nearly as strong or intense as they used to be.  Now its just all of a sudden and I think "wow, that was weird" and ignore it.

I guess everything I did was based around smoking and cigarettes now that I think about it.  Cigarette in the morning with my coffee, on the way to work, during break times, drive home, and then whenever I felt like it at home.  One of the biggest triggers for me was the telephone.  Anytime the phone rang and it was for me, I'd grab my pack of cigarettes and lighter and head outside.  It was like a huge trigger.  I did avoid talking on the phone too much in the beginning, but I actually got used to it pretty quick.  Then of course right  before going to bed I'd have my last one for the day.

Most typical things also were triggers for me; stress, need to ponder on an issue, or a problem, or because I just had a heated arguement with my spouse, child, or friend.  Really I'd find any reason, but those were also triggers.

When I decided to quit smoking, I knew this time I had to be diligent and not a coward when it came to putting down the pack.  I picked a date that was in the near future and continued to smoke until then.  We were going on a big vacation with our grown daughters so I did not want to put that kind of stress on myself during a relaxing fun time.  I had said I would quit the first weekend after we returned home.  That Friday evening I smoked my last cigarette before going to bed.  I almost forgot in the morning and began looking for my pack of cigarettes only to realize that "oh yeah, I quit".  I was scared at that moment, but I made a commitment and I was going to stick to it.  

So here I am going on 6 months later and glad I stuck with that commitment and decision.  I have no regrets of quitting and I do not miss it at all.  I have gained a few pounds, but am at the point of now I need to lose those pounds because I don't like how I feel in my own skin.  

I noticed that my younger sister is using an e-cig and hoping she chooses to quit with it.   Even my best friend told me she was thinking about getting one, so maybe she will finally quit smoking as well.  If I was the inspiration for that, it makes me even more proud that I quit.

• Like 8

NayNay - you may be La Bandita's sister. The cleaning one was huge for her.

A real surprise one for me is the hangover - if I over-indulge in alcohol (perish the thought!) the following morning - as well as feeling a bit rough - I get a trigger. Strange.

• Like 1

The only trigger that I still get frequently is if I am working on a challenging project...I will get a urge to walk outside and smoke and then come back to it.  I have learned that it is the walk outside that helps...not the smoke!

• Like 8

I remember as a "newbie" wanting to quickly get to that "happy" part of being cig free but for 2 yrs I kept shooting myself in the foot throwing away quits, especially after going almost 11 months. But yes EVERYONE  hates the beginning of their quits BUT to me by it being painful it will help you to never want to repeat the process.

• Like 11

I can get past the addiction when I remember how much smoking sucks.  I'd rather not smoke than smoke.  That is really what it is.  I hate smoking.  Seriously, why do I want to do that?????  NO GOOD REASON!!!   

Occasionally, I still get very strong cravings, but they are so much easier to overcome now - a mere NOPE really.  But at totally random times, the super strong feeling strikes and God, all I wish is that I could have a smoke.  At those moments, I have to remind myself of why I quit.  I have a list I keep one my phone that I refer to on those occasions. 

After being quit for even a short time, it really is easy to overcome those cravings, but I won't deny that those feelings are still there - dumb addiction!    

• Like 2

In the beginning I experienced the ritual triggers.  First smoke in the evening, after meals and last one before bed.  It def took time to overcome those.  I had to create new rituals and eventually I stopped having those triggers. On occasion I still get a reminder that I used to smoke when I am stressed. I think it helps to live your life, triggers and all, right from the start.  Delaying the triggers just postpones a part of the process that is a must at some point for a successful quit.  You need to live your life without smoking just like you lived your life as a smoker.  Eventually, you break the associations.

• Like 1

I did discover over this past weekend that a usual trigger for me was always when I was upset or aggitated, or after a disagreement with my spouse or one of my daughters.  My youngest daughter upset me quite a bit Friday evening, and instead of grabbing a cigarette and going outside to get away from the arguement, I realized that now I just head to a different room away from the fight and busy myself with something to keep my mind occupied.  I also may go off to cry alone, but this past Friday evening I went to my "Zen" room and straightened out a few drawers on my vanity that were in a bit of disarray.  So, if every time I get upset about something, I now go off and keep my mind and hands busy with some type of cleaning or clearing out activity.  If this keeps up, I'll have gone through my whole house and everything will be so organized I'll drive myself crazy!   :P  :huh:  :rolleyes:  :wacko:  :blink:

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

I have no idea how long I will be either physically, psychologically or habitually dealing with this addiction. All I think about is today...not smoking today and then getting off the nicotine in a month or two, depending on how I adjust to each step down. 

But even after having quit for a year and half , 30 years ago I know my nicotine thinking can still get to me IF i forget. I had quit while I was pregnant and breastfeeding. The day I stopped breastfeeding I rewarded myself with ONE cigarette. Bought a pack, took ONE out and threw the rest away. That was it for me. In a month's time I was back to a pack a day. I had also quit for over a year about 10 years ago.

For me, I see that I will always have to be diligent and first thing every morning say NOPE for the rest of my life. While the urges may not be as frequent or hardly at all a year from now, I am an ADDICT. After my past two quit experiences, for me, it always tries and find a way back in to my life because I think I have beat it. 

I know people who have quit and eventually get to a place they never want to have a cig again. If I am one of them on this quit...good. if I get urges the rest of my life and i have to say NOPE every morning for the rest of my life...good. as long as I don't ever have smoke a cigarette and I am  free, whatever works for me.

But for now, I will not smoke TODAY.

Edited by lml
  • Like 2

I am at 7 months and so far the only real bad time was exactly three months in. I was rummaging through some old magazines and of course every other page is a cigarette ad.

I would love to smoke really but probably best to avoid that bad habit

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

For me cigarettes were a company in solitude. I have recently moved to another country and immediately it triggered a thought “now you’re on your own, sit and enjoy the cigarette”. I’ve been smoke-free for exactly six months and this quit has been relatively calm, so those thoughts were unexpected. But I’m glad I’ve beaten another scheme, will be stronger in case there’s some forgotten, hidden trigger lurking and waiting for its moment. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Jetblack said:

I am at 7 months and so far the only real bad time was exactly three months in. I was rummaging through some old magazines and of course every other page is a cigarette ad.

I would love to smoke really but probably best to avoid that bad habit

Do you really mean,  I would love to smoke ?  or, are you just saying that casually, jokey ?

If you 'would love to smoke really', I wonder why ?  

Why would you love to smoke

You know, it is a lot more than a bad habit to avoid, don't you ?

Why would you love to smoke after you quit and,  I assume,  educated yourself about addiction ?

Why would you love to smoke

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1