Made It To 3 Weeks!

Diane R

Well I’ve made it to 3 weeks without smoking. I’m quite proud of myself!  There where  Definitely didn’t know if I would make it. I still think like a smoker. I have no idea how long I will. I’m able to tell myself I don’t smoke. It’s not that I’m having a lot of cravings. But still have all the habits. If I let the dog out I still have the oh time for a smoke thought, but I haven’t acted on it. I really thought after a meal would be the hardest and with my coffee but I don’t really what one at either of those times. All and all I’m doing pretty good. I’ve even gone out for happy hour and not smoked. Almost a whole month. I know it’s going to get easier and easier.  I can’t thank quit train enough for making this journey a lot more pleasant than if would have been. So thanks to everyone that was supported me these lasts weeks. 

• Like 10

Ankush I have penalty of thoughts about cigarettes. But I know they would do anything for me. I’m still on the Chantix. If I did lite one now I wouldn’t get anything out of it so no point. But the bigger issue is the habit. I’m so conditioned to smoke. After nearly 40 years of smoking, I have a ton of habit related to smoking. I will stay strong though. I’m not about to let cigarettes run my life any longer. I hope your quit it going well for you. And don’t let anything get in your way!

• Like 7

That's awesome Diane, congratulations :) The constant thoughts of smoking are the worst, it drove me crazy but soon you'll have hours of not thinking about them until one day you realize you hadn't thought of them all day. It's a great feeling and every time you stand up to a trigger that trigger gets weaker and weaker.

• Like 6

Thanks Jillar! I’m on here all day somedays just hanging around and reading post. I have another website I read too. Get a lot of people asking questions about my quit. It’s all so helpful for me. I’m not working so I have a lot of free time way too much I find now.its amazing when you quit how much time you spent  wasting on cigarettes.

• Like 6

Three weeks is huge, Diane, and you certainly deserve to be very proud of yourself.  I'm glad you're still enjoying your coffee; that was a saving grace for me.  It sounds as if you are plowing through the worst trigger situations and handling them like a champ.  We are very proud of you, too.

• Like 7

Congratulations, Diane on Three Weeks of Freedom !

The second a smokey thought comes your way, replace it with deep breaths, your 'mantra', and look at something of beauty.

The sooner you banish these thoughts the better and replacing them with something always available, the better too.

It won't be long before you will have conquered every receptor and wrenched it away from nicotine.

It really won't be long even though it might seem like forever right now.  

• Like 5

Diane you are doing great and getting thru the toughest times.   It will slowly get better -- keep up the focus and keep strong.  Congrats on the 3 weeks and you should take a little time to celebrate!!!!

• Like 5

Jordan7 I can’t live without my coffee. And sometime I even make it to Starbucks for a nice latte! Not cheap but still less than a pack of cigarettes.  Sazerac still telling myself I don’t smoke.

martian5 I will be having happy hour sometime soon to celebrate my 3 weeks. 

• Like 5

I’m celebrating everyday. And patting myself on the back as well. It’s not easy to leave what I thought of has my best friend for so many years. But really when you think about it cigarettes  where my tormentor. Like being in an abuse relationship to,some degree. 

• Like 5

Thanks Linda but I’m not out of woods yet. Today I have been thinking about smoking a lot. Seems to me more today than the last 2 weeks. But I have my gum and other things to put in my mouth. Just a matter of changing more of my habits to fit my new life style. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Diane R said:

I’m celebrating everyday. And patting myself on the back as well. It’s not easy to leave what I thought of has my best friend for so many years. But really when you think about it cigarettes  where my tormentor. Like being in an abuse relationship to,some degree. 

you might find this essay helpful,

My Cigarette, My Friend by Joel Spitzer

and here is a short video, dramatizing the essay

• Like 2

That is great, Diane.  It is often said that the first three weeks are really the roughest.   Things will slowly get better and better.

Keep up the awesome work and thanks for sharing your quit journey with us.  You are doing a great thing.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Diane R said:

Well I’ve made it to 3 weeks without smoking. I’m quite proud of myself!  There where  Definitely didn’t know if I would make it. I still think like a smoker. I have no idea how long I will. I’m able to tell myself I don’t smoke. It’s not that I’m having a lot of cravings. But still have all the habits.

For what it's worth, learning to truly identify as a non-smoker was the last hurdle I cleared in the process.  I quit smoking.  I had reached a point where serious cravings for a cigarette were few and far between.  However, it just didn't feel entirely possible for me to identify myself as not only a non-smoker but someone who would never smoke again.

Eventually everything clicked together, but it took a little while.  Patience and repetition are not sexy and exciting, but they are two of the most effective tools in your kit.

17 hours ago, Diane R said:

Well I’ve made it to 3 weeks without smoking. I’m quite proud of myself! 

That pride is well deserved.  Good job.

• Like 5

Good job Diane! You seem to be right on track in this quitting thing.

As others have said, time will work it's magic on getting you settled in and comfortable with your new, nonsmoking lifestyle. We all wish it was a quicker process but considering how long we conditioned ourselves as smokers, it shouldn't come as any surprise that it takes awhile to reprogram our brains. Just keep doing what you're doing and you'll be fine :) 

• Like 3