Here I go

LizQuit

Hello I am officially quit.  Woke up and felt like it was time. No planning just felt awful. Throat sore, weezing, numbness in my feet for quite some time. Put out the last cigarette at 10:30 and said to myself this is it. Cold turkey and no looking back. 

Been a pack a day smoker for 50 years. Everything I do revolves around that so called reward. Just reading here this morning has been an eye opener. Who rewards themself with poison?  

I know I have a long way to go but I am so determined to succeed. So I am going to continue to read and educate myself and hold myself accountable by pledging NOPE.  I will succeed.  Thanks for listening.

• Like 6

Welcome LizQuit an congratulations on taking the step to quit.  I smoked for well over 40 years and had some of the same problems that you had.  I took the jump and joined this train first of the year.  Best train ride I have ever taken.  It can be tough at firs but it gets better.  Come here often and take the NOPE pledge each day (it really has helped me), to research and learn, and to reach out to others here for help and fun.  You have a great attitude and it does get better in so many ways. 

• Like 2

Welcome LQ! Glad to have you aboard. Take a seat here in 1st class and join in the discussions, the daily NOPE pledge and even play some games to keep yourself distracted. I think I almost lived on this form for the first while. I too quit cold turkey basically on a whim just over a year ago so YES it is possible. Personal commitment, educating yourself about this awful addiction and the support from others who "get it" will all be important tools in your quit journey.

• Like 1

Hi and welcome aboard..

Congratulations for the great decision to take back your life from this killer addiction....

There a lot of ex smokers here ,who smoked for decades...52 years here..

Educate yourself...thisnwill be your tool ,to fight the beast...

Take our daily pledge...it starts of your day with a promise., you wont take one puff that day...

You can do it...all yfou need is the desire to be free...

• Like 2

Welcome, LizQuit! :) I smoked for 44 years and just celebrated my 1 year quitversary on Feb 10th! Knowledge about what to expect after you quit is key to keeping quit! Read all you can here and watch the videos to prepare. Take it one day at a time. Drinking lots of water and practicing deep breathing helped me through my anxious times (and there were many in the beginning!) and now here I am one year later smoke-free and happy as can be about it! 

• Like 4

Lil trick i used in this quit early on, i cut a straw down to the size of the cigg and would pull on that if i ever got an urge. There is a breathing exercise, deep breath hold it in 2-3 secs i did that with the straw. That or a blow pop or a tootsie pop was a crutch early on , i walked alot as well

• Like 3

Wanted to welcome you too, LQ!  You can do this!  You see here a lot of people who have been through the same difficult first day you’re experiencing right now. Every journey begins with those first steps. Just keep on going and whatever you do, however you figure out are the best way to cope, use them and don’t smoke. No more of it- take it off the table and say “Good riddance”. No matter what your circumstances are, you're doing the very best thing you can for yourself. The fact that this applies to each and every living person who smokes tells you it’s got to be done.

Best wishes,

PeaceTrain

• Like 2

Drum roll please....24 hours smoke free. I am doing this. Many triggers yesterday but worked my way through them. Into day 2 now as of 10:30 this morning. Full steam ahead. Was not easy by any means but not as difficult as I imagined. If I can do 1 I can do 2. Thanks for all the responses. 

• Like 6

This is great, that first day down is fantastic and now you see it can be done, one day at time.  Remember deep breathing techniques and drink lots of cold water and come back frequently on this site and read -- You Can Do This -- 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1