Motivations To Quit/Stay Quit

Sazerac

Dear QTrain-ers,

I was thinking today about my motivations to quit smoking and to stay quit 

and thought I would share them, hoping y'all share your motivations in response.

I consider my resolution to quit was a primary factor but, wealth and health came into play as well. 

I quit on a whim, a dare to myself.

Unexpectedly, my immediate motivation was an inner strength I found in absolutely committing to the journey. 

This really helped me through the bumps, knowing I was clear in my resolve.  

In a more mercenary vein, wealth motivated me and if I am honest, it was very important.

Each day, I ceremonially placed a ten dollar bill between the pages of a NOPE book

which filled up quickly and was moved to a mason jar.  Better to see my progress.

In ten days, I had a hundred bucks.   

In ten months,  I had Three Thousand  !

I felt like Midas with all that dosh.

As far as health, 

I was in ignorant denial and never paid much mind to health risks.

Sure, a minor cold inevitably morphed into bronchitis and I certainly coughed a helluva lot 

but, for forty something years, I idiotically accepted that was just the way things were.

I was weeks into my quit before I faced the truth and began to understand the ramifications of smoking and my nicotine addiction.

Facing the damage done, I am tentatively grateful that maybe I quit in time.  I feel great.  Breathing is rapturous, innit !

Now, health is a motivator keeping me nicotine free and I haven't been knocked down with bronchitis in four friggin' years. 

Amazing.

The personal empowerment by keeping this commitment to myself has influenced all parts of my life.

I am stronger, braver, more truthful and hopefully have a sincere compassion for others fighting addiction, living with addiction.

All you smoke free creatures here are great inspirations and kick a s s  motivators,  keeping me on the Good Foot.

Tell us, if you will, about your Motivations.

Love,

S

Edited by Sazerac
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I was sick for a month before I quit - like really sick with bronchitis!! Finally realized I was still smoking even though I could hardly take a breath without initiating a coughing fit. Didn't know if I could make it stick or not but joined a couple of these social media quit smoking sites and educated myself about this addiction. Read stories about other's journeys and that really helped me stay the course through difficult times. 1 year later, here I am. Still quit - still an addict but healthier I expect. My wallet is fatter for sure but that was not a motivating factor for me. I had past many milestones where a pack of smokes hit whatever cost I told myself I would not pay. I had given up on that being a motivational factor for me. - lol.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Well most of my motivation for quitting is spot on with Sazerac's.  I had been seriously thinking about quitting for a few months and trying to cut down November through December. 

I am a disabled veteran and have been treated by the VA medical system for over thirty years and the care has been anywhere from poor to good.  In the last couple of years the VA has been under fire for its treatment of veterans.  The doctors there would always state that I needed to quit but there was no conviction in what they were saying.

A couple of years ago I was assigned new doctor and she has been pretty good and would also state on all appointments I needed a quit.  I saw her in early December and went over this pretty good.  A couple of weeks later some of my tests had come in and her nurse called me.  The nurse said the doctor would do anything to help me quit, the tests were beginning to show some serious negatives.  We had a long discussion over the phone. 

After that call I realized that my Doctor and the Nurse truly cared about me and not going through the motions.  I do not know why but this stuck with me, so much so that after the first of this year I quit, just jumped off the cliff cold turkey.  Though the last few weeks there have been difficulties I have not looked back.  To say the least my VA medical team is ecstatic (as well as my grandchildren). 

I know you have to make to the choice to quit yours and for yourself but, sometimes somebody really needs to knock you upside the head and show you that your are worth more to yourself.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

My motivations to stay quit:

- I was on my way to an oxygen tank. What a ridiculous way to live when I have the power to defeat that possibility. This was my main motivation to quit in the first place: I finally got angry enough about this to do something about it.

- My self esteem is now all entwined with quitting. If I ever gave in now I wouldn't be able to live with myself. The fact that I successfully quit makes me feel good about myself.

- And joyful. Some days I can actually feel joy about my breathing and my discipline and my release from the slavery and my new daily exercise routine, that came about solely from quitting.

- and $1000.00/year money in my pocket ain't too shabby a reason either. :)

Thanks for the post Sazerac. It's a great reminder and motivator.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

• 5 months later...

What are your motivations ? Making a list of your reasons to quit can be a useful tool in your toolbox.

and while I think of it, don't forget to also post a

Pre- response to your own SOS,

this is so helpful to you and also to the group,  in assists us knowing how to respond to you and helps you to conquer any crisis you may encounter.

Edited by Sazerac
  • Like 2

After years of failed quits of one sort or another, my motivation to quit was a deep feeling that I had no more time and needed to do it right, and once and for all.

I found QSMB, lurked for a while, got a prescription of Chantix, and made my first post. 

Motivation to stay quit--well,... freedom is addictive!  I feel so much better I can't even consider going back. I also believe that the Law of Addiction is 100% accurate.

Jim

• Like 7

Being diagnosed with CAD - coronary artery disease and early stage COPD was motivation enough for me!

February 2017 - Stroke

April 2018 -  CABG x3 (triple Coronary Artery Bypass Graft)

image.png

Edited by Rozuki
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 8

My motivation was my new Dr telling me if I didn't quit smoking I'd be dead in ten to twelve years and on oxygen ? My junkie mind even did the math thinking in 10 years I'd be 62 around the age my dad died so it must be my legacy. He was so thrilled to hear I quit and how clear my lungs sound I actually really like him now. So even if I am dead in ten to twelve years at least, hopefully, I won't need oxygen.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

I was 55 a year and a half ago getting annual physical. Doc asked me if I was ever going to quit. I said I knew I should or at least cut down, but not anytime soon because I wasn’t ready to. So she said she wanted to send me in for a lung xray to see where I was (baseline thingy) for possible future medical treatment.

That hit me hard; I realized I was playing around with my health, I wasn’t getting any younger and I was heading for a horrible sickly lifestyle in my older years.  I quit a month later using Chantix. 

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

I have most certainly maintained my Quit since having a bilateral pulmonary embolism. It was diagnosed as “Unprovoked” meaning no cause found with testing. Smoking causes blood to clot faster than normal so I really have to wonder if mine was due to smoking....just no proof. Who in their right mind would smoke after this? ?

• Like 5

Good to see you Tyme....

Smoking causes so many bad illnesses to the body,as smokers we don't even think about...every part of our wonderful bodies are effected....

I too didn't quit until the s*** hit the fan...but I quit.,just like you ..and that something to be proud of...the damage won't go any further..x

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 8/3/2018 at 11:57 AM, Sazerac said:

What are your motivations ? Making a list of your reasons to quit can be a useful tool in your toolbox.

and while I think of it, don't forget to also post a

Pre- response to your own SOS,

this is so helpful to you and also to the group,  in assists us knowing how to respond to you and helps you to conquer any crisis you may encounter.

• 5 months later...

Father died from tobacco related issues.

My quitting was a final gift to his memory.

Later, I realized the gift came back to me as well.  :)

Smoking would desecrate my father's memorial and that ain't happening.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I didn't want to wheeze anymore

I didn't want to stink anymore

I didn't want to waste my money anymore

I didn't want to waste my time anymore

I didn't want to be a slave anymore

My Dad smoked 4 packs a day for over 40 years and died at the age of 56. When I realized I was closing in on 50, I had to stop.

I told my girlfriend (and myself) when I quit that I would never smoke again. That's all the motivation I need.

Edited by JimHannoonen
  • Like 7

Well my  motivations  Call me nana and grandma. If I didn’t stop I won’t be here for all the  major milestones in their lives. My oldest started 7th grade this year and the youngest just turned a year old last month. Now to  motivate their papa to do the same. 

• Like 4

You are well on your way to a life long quit Diane. My wife quit probably 10 years before me. She never really put it in my face but when I was ready myself to quit her example showed me it was possible so her quit had great value to me. Hopefully the same will be true for your hubby and maybe he will see the light before I did? 

• Like 3

Keeping hold of my two plates of meat ( feet )....is my motivation....cigs or feet ...the choice is simple really.

Diane...deep down every smoker on the planet wishes they could quit ,whether they admit it or not ...

You are a good role model for your Hubby...when he see,s you have succeeded....who knows what miracles happen .

• Like 3