I Have COPD… yes me… a personal journey

Cbdave

Yep.

well how do I start this thing but at the start ..!

actuating the end of my smoking. 
A cold became pneumonia … I was a pretty sick puppy. Scared me, enough to give the lung busters up. 
i started my quit ignoring a  smokers cough and a shortness of breath.

How do you admit to that? I didn’t 

I’m now a non smoker 

• Like 4
  • Sad 5

I feel ya Chris, it's a brutal disease for sure, xoxo. I quit for the same exact reason and almost four years after quitting suffered respiratory failure as you all know from something viral (Covid?) it's unknown......... 

My tip is don't wait until you have shortness of breath to quit. COPD is a chronic condition with no cure that worsens over time. You can slow the progression greatly simply by quitting smoking!

• Like 5

G’day 

I landed at the doctors with a pretty heavy cold about a year after my quit. Lots of pills and potions followed and I began my love hate relationship with predasone. Once I’d healed I did the tests and it was official. Yep I had COPD. 
I had to face the hard reality that it could never be healed and would only get worse. I got the big warning from the doc not to smoke again ( as if!)

The two biggies to help was to keep the weight down and to get moderate exercise. Easy …..started to walk every morning and felt better for it. Lost slowly the extra weight that comes with giving the smokes away. 
Still couldn’t say COPD out aloud though it was the elephant in the corner.

• Like 7

Hi Chris. I really appreciate your telling us this story. Smoking really robbed us of so very much, it's hard to accept that sometimes. But your sharing about your COPD is helpful and motivating for others. I especially like the reminder to walk a little every day. I need to get better at that, myself. In the meantime, take good care. And a big honking NOPE for good measure!

stamp2.jpg

• Like 5

I’m sorry to hear this @Cbdave but glad you shared. Reminding us to be mindful of our health. I tend to let things go and ignore little issues I may question in the back of my mind. Sometimes I find myself thinking I’m bulletproof because I quit smoking but the truth is far from that. Take good care of yourself. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cbdave said:

G’day 

I landed at the doctors with a pretty heavy cold about a year after my quit. Lots of pills and potions followed and I began my love hate relationship with predasone. Once I’d healed I did the tests and it was official. Yep I had COPD. 
I had to face the hard reality that it could never be healed and would only get worse. I got the big warning from the doc not to smoke again ( as if!)

The two biggies to help was to keep the weight down and to get moderate exercise. Easy …..started to walk every morning and felt better for it. Lost slowly the extra weight that comes with giving the smokes away. 
Still couldn’t say COPD out aloud though it was the elephant in the corner.

Cbdave, so sorry to hear about the diagnosis, but am I understanding correctly that you were diagnosed in 2017 and are sharing your story chronogically to help others?  Thank you for all you do for this board! 

• Like 2

Thank you for the reality warning 

Of what smoking can do ..

If it helps that one person quit today ..i sure hope it does!

We thank you for sharing ..

A massive Thank you Too for starting the board every morning with a good message if NOPE.

We all appreciate your hard work 

Look after yourself Buddy xx

• Like 1

G’day 

Mid 2022 COVID finally got me big time. As soon as tested positive I contacted my doc. He organised antivirals and medications. An oxygen reader that went on your finger. Got a call ever morning from the doc and a couple of calls fro the nurses over the day. So I hunkered down at home to ride it out. 
It’s all a bit hazy now but I remember day 4. I couldn’t breath when lying in bed so I got up to clear my lungs and sat in a lounge chair so I could get a breath. My oxygen was 90 dip below that and I must call an ambulance. 
Fell asleep and woke next morning my oxygen had got back up. Sleep the next week in that chair untherwise I just could breath.

Damn COVID knocked me pretty bad. The effect would last. Took me 7 weeks to get back to work then I could only do a couple of days in a week. Was weak and tired for 6 months. Even though I still walked dayly I had to husband my energy I knocked up pretty fast. It was a painful and scary part of my life. I was really afraid that the COVID had damaged me far more than COPD had. 
But somehow I healed and got back on my feet 

• Like 4

Gday

Well I got sent off for heaps of tests. First the heart people. No lasting damage my heart that was good! The ear nose and throat mob got a try. They couldn’t find any thing of note and wrote off my slightly raspy voice to the normal effect of aging ( thanks I needed that).

Next was respitory. I was really surprised to find the tests had now put me in the normal zone. Lower percentage but normal? The doc explained it bluntly 

If this was a race your coming last. If your running with the pack your the straggler. 
So I have to except that I still have COPD. My doses have changed but I still take a puffer. I’ve been encouraged to keep the weight off and the walking regularly. And the smoking warning. Always the smoking warning. Easy to say, yes I know, but really I just shut up and really take that in. 
I wasn’t unlucky COVID gave me a hard time cause I had smoke damaged lungs, I have COPD.

I wasn’t lucky in surviving COVID I’d given myself the best chance being a long term non smoker.

Thanks for listening, it’s good just to say this all. Hope it helps someone. It certainly helps me just saying it

Chris

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

• 1 month later...

I was diagnosed with Copd many years after i quit. I was surprised as i did not feel that way. I had asthma when i was a child. My condition is at the mild stage.The good thing (only) about copd is that you can keep it at a certain stage for many years if you 1 stay a non smoker 2 exercise and eat well 3 keep fat of your diaphragm. My copd has been mild for well over a deacade. I quit smoking in 2001 on my birthday and will be 62 in 11 days. My health is good and i use a preventor inhaler every day. During the winter i may have a 2 week episode of coughing but i have a ' rescue pack' which includes anti biotics and a sinus spray.. My respiratory results have not changed for over a decade!

So.....it is possible like quiitting smoking to keep copd in check but you have to exercise and keep your diaphragm and muscles free from excess weight. Buying a watch to record your stats is a good way to monitor how you are doing.  22 years quit in 11 days.

Edited by breath
  • Like 9

G’day 

OMG I sometimes I think I’m pretty smart with a a coming up 8 year quit! 
shit  O bloody bugger bitch bum… 

now it seems I’m chasing down a couple of 20 and 22 year quits

well game on guys! I’m  trying outlast both of you.

Edited by Cbdave
Speeling
  • Like 3