A little progress

Okay, I know there were some weight loss progression posts around here, Lisa and Scott's come to mind.  I couldn't find them though.  I have been at this less time, so my results may not be as dramatic, but they have been life changing for sure.  Think of this a work in progress, not a before and after.

It just dawned on me, not too long ago I was wearing a size 16, nearly in an 18 and pushing 219 lbs on a 5'3" frame.  Today, I just placed an order for a bathing suit in a size 12.  I will probably never be a skinny mini, but that is all right, it's not a goal of mine.  Healthy, fit and strong are my goals.  I have understood for a long time, I can do all the leg exercises I want and I can develop muscle, but the actual fat on them is not going to go anywhere anytime soon, it will leave there after the rest of me lol.  In the meantime, I can just reshape them.  My hips still remain, but have more shape and my formerly flat wide rear end is no more, it's almost round now.,.takes some getting use to.  The past 6 weeks I have been working on symmetry, developing the upper body along with spin classes, which are a total body workout.  Just now am starting to see some results in my upper body.  I still do a couple of leg exercises each week, mainly to test my strength.  Spinning gives me a good workout.  Last week, my legs were able to press 410 lbs.  A few weeks ago it was only 360, so there is progress.  

I don't know how much I weigh and I don't care, after losing 25 lbs and hitting a plateau, I refused to be weighed.  I started measuring myself and that is where I saw results.  I haven't measured lately, but I think 30 inches lost is better than any pounds lost.  

I don't think I have a very recent full length photo, I'll have to work on that, but this can give you an idea of how quitting can be a catalyst for more than one healthy change.

December 2012...About 5 1/2 months before I quit.  Between this picture and quitting, I lost 7 lbs.  When I quit, I gained 30, there are no pictures of that.  I wish now I took a picture for comparison though.  

d11e9b63-df34-4012-9f53-364c37ca1217_zps

11/2013  About 5 months quit, after riding my bike all over, around the time I joined the gym.  This was before I became really serious about eating healthy.

CAM00051-1.jpg

May 18 2014 

8945430e-ab73-4781-80df-8c2f2847d439_zps      

June 2nd

th_20140602_0642431_zpsc5eef33d.jpg

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Thank you for posting this, Colleen. You are inspiring me!

You have done exactly what I want to do-- use quitting smoking as a first step in becoming a healthier, fitter, happier (and smaller) person. Congratulations! Of course, my first thought is that you can accomplish that but I can't. I'm older, fatter, too out of shape, blah, blah, blah. But then I realized that that's just the same old "special snowflake" argument (everybody can do it but me). All I have to do is do like you did-- be consistent and stick with it!! 

Good for you, Colleen. You should feel really good about yourself.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I've lost 2 more inches, now I am up to 39 inches lost.  I need to slow down though, having wardrobe trouble.  In the summer, it was easier due to wearing mostly dresses/skirts.  Now with the cooler weather, I am having a hard time getting pants to fit me.  I wore a pair yesterday and they were so big, they were uncomfortable.  I think I spent more time trying to hold them up than anything else.  LOL, I cannot believe I am complaining about my pants not fitting me because I lost weight!  If only I could go to work in workout pants...

• Like 2