DAY 100…100 DAYS

Gus

That sounds like a really long time doesn’t it? And with my Southern drawl it sounds even lonnnger. HaHa It has been a rough day today. I’ve been job hunting, so I’m stressed. All day I have been having to smell cigarette smoke as I enter into and exit out of buildings. One time I actually thought that it smelled so good! I have several job interviews next week and I’m really anxious about them. I haven’t worked in 20 years, but now I need to and the pressure to be hired is harsh. I haven’t thought that I needed or wanted to smoke, but the idea of smoking hasn’t been as abhorrent to me today either. I’m just going to have to dig deeper than I have so far and ignore the idea that smoking wasn’t so bad. It seems I recall a video and some posts concerning the dangers of romanticizing smoking. I will look those up. Like I’ve said so many times, “I only have one quit in me. I would never survive another quit.” I am an addict and I must physically and mentally distance myself from all things nicotine. I will prevail! ✌️

• Like 6

Happy 100 days @Gus, sorry about the stress of finding a job causing craves. I'll tell you though that an employer who has a choice between a smoker and an ex smoker will almost always hire the ex smoker 😊

Its also ok to not be disgusted with the smell. It doesn't mean you're headed toward a relapse. And up until my lung failure I liked the smell of a freshly lit cigarette but the stench of stale smoke on someone....🤮

Good luck with your job search and congratulations on your awesome 100 days!🤗

blue_100.gif?resize=740,185&ssl=1

Edited by jillar
  • Like 3

Well done Gus ....100 days is a Quit to be proud of ...

Your still though in the early stages ...so your wise to stay on your guard ...

I agree with Jill...you have a much better chance of getting a job ,as a Non Smoker...

I know it's stressful ...but adding nicotine withdrawal along with the stress would be awful...

I wish you well in your job search 👍🐸

Edited by Doreensfree
  • Like 3

@Gus You are doing awesome!! 100 days is great!!! You amaze me your positive attitude is great! I sure did not have that in my early quit. Some  days I still don't!! Good luck with the job hunting. I'm sure you will do great!

Anthony Weiner Agree GIF

• Like 4

@Gus, Congratulations on 100 days!  And all the best with the job search.

Please stay alert and strong.  The 3 month mark is tricky as we start to feel a little bit confident that we're doing well in our quit and that could be tricky.

• Like 4

Hi Gus,

Just spent the last hour typing you a very long message, then I hit some button and it just disappeared. To tired to start over, so here is the condensed version.

I have suffered from anxiety and panic attacks since I was a small child. When I became an adult depression joined the party. After my son was born in my late 20s I became concerned that I would pass this to him thru my behavior.  Went into therapy, talk, group and cognitive. Point is it really helped and changed my life.  I have a brilliant son who is open to any adventure so I met the goal,, did not pass it on.  I used to be ashamed and embarrassed of my condition, now I don't give a crap what anyone thinks.  I do what I want when I can do it.

K

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Gus,

I am new to this site so I have not read all your post but I can tell you really suffer from anxiety.

Try to deep breathe before the interviews and get a little tube of vaseline to have in your purse, rub

a little on your teeth before you go in, makes it easier to smile during the interview.  You will land the job, then check your insurance benefits and start researching therapists.  I want so much for you to feel better!!!!

K

• Like 3

Congratulations Gus . I see a winner . Sorry for the late celebration .. but happy I'm here to wish you all the best in the year ahead ..  can't wait to hear . I'm going to check up in a year my friend  . 

• Like 3

Wow great work Gus, 100 days has a lovely ring to it! Sorry that you have job stress to deal with, but once you find a job, you will have less time to think about smoking. I'm retired and find that being bored some days can be a challenge for quitting. One of my friends quit for more than 200 days and I was so proud of her and then along came a strict Covid lockdown and it brought her undone. I was so sad when she told me and she is still smoking. That and other kinds of stress can make us think that a cigarette will calm us, but we all know now that smoking actually sends our blood pressure up! All the best Gus, you're doing great! 

Great job.gif

• Like 3

On 6/25/2021 at 7:52 PM, Gus said:

So true @d2e8b8 I’ve noticed this on several occasions but then reality kicks in and I come here to this place and follow all of you fine people. 🤗

You go Gus.  You are awesome.  !00 days in is great.  You are becoming stronger and more confident every day.  As you travel this journey, that strength will appear in all aspects of your life.  I'm adding prayers to your job search. Don't get discouraged, I am sure the right one is out there!

giphy (78).gif

• Like 3

So, I went for my first interview this morning and before I made it back home they called and want me to start at 8 in the morning. The pay is not great but I’m hoping it’ll be enough. A couple of my family members seem to feel that I’ve made a mistake. Making me second guess my decision and well, I guess I’ll see.  I will not be getting on here as much, but I will try to check in at least once a day. So, I guess that I will not be the first to obtain all of the badges @d2e8b8! HaHa I’ll miss keeping up with y’all so much. See ya soon! ✌️

• Like 4