Just Quit for the Second Time

Katgirl

Hello. My name is Kat. I turned 70 in April, and decided I would like to see 80, so it was time to quit for good. I have smoked most of my adult life, but did quit for 6 years, back in 2009. Also, in 2009, I experienced a severe enough cardiac event,  that I had 3 stents placed in my heart. Coincidentally, that was 6 months AFTER I quit smoking. In 2015, I experienced a bad break up with a boyfriend ( sounds silly saying that out loud) and picked up cigarettes again. I am in a good place in life. I have a great guy, great kids, and 12 beautiful grandchildren. I recently had  a comprehensive cardiology follow up and the results were mostly good, except for a very small area in my heart that is not getting sufficient blood flow. I am a retired RN, so I know that means one of my arteries is blocked enough to cause that.  My cardiologist strongly urged me to quit smoking. For some reason, his passion and very serious tone got through to me. A week after he talked to me, I quit, ……cold turkey!  Thankfully, I had been cutting down lately, so It seems easier than I thought it would. It has been 6 days, and I am feeling pretty O.K. I am having weird and very vivid dreams, and some cravings, but I am soldiering on. I look forward to contributing to this group, and getting help when I need it. Thanks for listening!

KAT

• Like 12

Awesome Katgirl.  It's great that you've decided to quit and share it on this forum.  Generally it helps when people stay close to this forum during the early days of the quit when they need most support.  The people here realize you're going through one of the hardest things you've done in your life and will be able to offer you the right input and support having gone through the same experience themselves.

Stay close here and please share your experiences as well as ask for any support you may need.

Please create a ticker so you can see how many cigs you've not smoked.  Also, there's a daily NOPE thread where we pledge to not smoke for just 1 day.  We take it 1 day at a time.

• Like 6

Welcome aboard our train full of quitters @Katgirl and congratulations on almost a week quit, that's awesome! Like D2 said above, we have a great group here and we love a quitter so lean on us as much as you need. We also have great articles about our addiction as well as a video forum if that's more your thing.

And if you just want to get smoking off your mind but stick close to your support then head over to our Social forums. We have anything from music videos to games and even a health and fitness forum so be sure to take a look around😊

• Like 5

Hello and welcome ....

I'm your age too....so you are in good company ....

Congratulations ....you are taking your life back ....

You know the rule ...the only rule ....

Never Stick Anything In Your Mouth and Set Fire To It .....

Glad you found us ...Take your time to look around the board ..get to know us all ..

We are one big Family ....

Lets get you to Freedom 😁

Edited by Doreensfree
  • Like 5

Welcome @Katgirl! We are so glad that you found us and have decided to join us! There really is so much support that can be found here! From the videos and articles to the personal stories of a bunch of quitters,(now this includes you!) so much help can be found here! Stay close and I am so glad that you decided to come aboard! 🤗

• Like 5

Welcome aboard Katgirl. There is no better place to get the support you need when you quit smoking quite like The Quittrain. So, grab a seat and enjoy the ride to a happier and healthier life.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Dianne said:

Welcome Katgirl :) 

Hi, Dianne! I read your initial post and was worried about you. Glad you are hanging in! You quit on my only daughter’s Birthday!  (I have 3 sons). Keep up the good work!

• Like 7

One full week!  Day7!  Today is also the 7th anniversary of my husband’s sudden passing.  He died of a massive heart attack.  He was not a smoker.  Nor was I, at the time. This will be a tough day for me.  Not sure why anniversaries are so difficult.  Still have that heavy feeling in my lungs when I first wake up, but feels a little better.  I wake up a little nervous and jerky, and I am still having the weird and very vivid dreams.  They seem to be anxiety driven, in nature.  Not surprising, as I suffer from an anxiety disorder.  It has plagued me all my life.   My guy is very supportive and proud of me.  That helps…

Edited by Katgirl
  • Like 4

Welcome @Katgirl! We are so glad that you found us and have decided to join us! There really is so much support that can be found here! From the videos and articles to the personal stories of a bunch of quitters,(now this includes you!) so much help can be found here! Stay close and I am so glad that you decided to come aboard! 🤗

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Katgirl said:

Not sure why anniversaries are so difficult

Because sometimes they stir up the difficult memories and I am sure the loss of your husband was very devastating.   So glad you have made the decision to quit.  You sound like you have many wonderful people in your life to stay healthy and live life for.  Quitting smoking is the best way to do that.  Hang around and get to know us.  This is a wonderful place for support and friendship.  Stay committed and look forward to a life free of smoking.  You can do this. 

• Like 7

Yay katgirl, one week down is fabulous! Sorry the sudden death of your husband is still so hard. Try to take it easy today. Deep breathing in through your nose and out through your mouth might help with your anxiety. 

Just try not to bottle it all up. Vent, cry or just write it all down to get it off your chest. We even have blogs here if you want to document your journey that way 🤗

• Like 6

Welcome aboard the freedom train. There is a lot of great support here. Read all the info you can on the train. Share your journey with us too!! Congratulations on your week quit.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Katgirl said:

Still have that heavy feeling in my lungs when I first wake up, but feels a little better.  I wake up a little nervous and jerky, and I am still having the weird and very vivid dreams. 

Welcome aboard so glad you came to join us!!

Every day those lungs will feel better & better as they regenerate- taking a walk will make them smile

I had some real odd dreams too for a few weeks but it's just another one of the weird ways our bodies transition out of a chemical state. 

Embrace your quit and never let it go again

• Like 7

My anxiety has me by the throat today. That, and I am more emotional than normal, which I attribute to the anniversary of my husband’s death. It’s weird, because I am in a great relationship, and he is right in the other room, as I write. He is so cool. He seems to sense when I need to be left alone. I have been blessed with 2 great life partners in a row.  We won’t discuss the first one…😬Life is good, and yet, today, I feel like crap…

Edited by Katgirl
  • Like 3

🥺Breathe girl, breathe. I lost my husband in ‘08. A two year battle against an initial diagnosis of Stage 4 cancer. His death wasn’t unexpected, but that diagnosis?! You bet! Listen to me. Do not do this alone. You get up and go into that other room with that wonderful man and just crawl onto his lap, wrap your arms around him, let it all out, and never let go(to borrow a phrase from Jack and Rose.) I promise it will only help and this time next year? It will be easier. It will. 

• Like 3

Hang in there @Katgirl, seems our emotions are on overdrive for a while when we quit. It takes time but it will get so much better. I'm glad you have a great guy there for you and now you have us too🤗

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Gus said:

🥺Breathe girl, breathe. I lost my husband in ‘08. A two year battle against an initial diagnosis of Stage 4 cancer. His death wasn’t unexpected, but that diagnosis?! You bet! Listen to me. Do not do this alone. You get up and go into that other room with that wonderful man and just crawl onto his lap, wrap your arms around him, let it all out, and never let go(to borrow a phrase from Jack and Rose.) I promise it will only help and this time next year? It will be easier. It will. 

I don’t like to show weakness. I like to keep up the illusion that I am a strong independent woman, who can accomplish anything without appearing to need help. I did tell him about joining this forum, though. 

Edited by Katgirl
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, jillar said:

Hang in there @Katgirl, seems our emotions are on overdrive for a while when we quit. It takes time but it will get so much better. I'm glad you have a great guy there for you and now you have us too🤗

Thanks. How do I get the ticker to work?  I set my parameters,  but it just goes back to default setting , after I exit the function.

Edited by Katgirl
  • Like 1