Cader28

Hi everyone, I'm very new here, I joined a few minutes ago. I tried quitting cigarettes about 2weeks ago and I was doing very well, then I fell off the wagon. Now I found out that I'm pregnant and I need to stop smoking now more than ever!! It's really hard and I sometimes find myself smoking and saying 'this is the last, it has to be the last'

Please can anyone advise me on how to help myself and for my unborn baby please 

• Like 9

So, first of all, quit buying cigarettes! If you're still smoking now, quit smoking in the places you normally smoked and at the times you smoked. Get yourself some sweets and lots of juice or water. You'll crave these for a while. Also, stick close to us. We have years of experience between us and lots of knowledge in the many posts here. You can do it, for you and your baby....

• Like 8

Welcome Cader, what an amazing decision to take, very commendable.

You're making the absolute right choice not just for your baby's health, but yours too. He/She deserves a healthy, happy momma :)

Just like Jillar said, loads of water and sweets, avoiding the places you associate with smoking.

Also, since it's more mind over matter than anything else, please remember that any and every craving that you have going forward, typically only lasts 3-5 minutes. Distract yourself whenever these happen (watch videos, play a game, make a list of girl/boy names, whatever catches your fancy). You'll find that post those 3 odd minutes, you're ok. And those 3 minutes will get easier as time goes by.

Have your reason to quit firmly in your mind, or better still, if you want write it in bold letters, and place it everywhere you can see it. Just a good way to remind yourself why you won't give in to your cravings.

Best of luck, please shout out (regardless of the time, hour or the instances) whenever you need someone to talk to, or certainly post an SOS when you think you are about to smoke.

We're here for you. Best of luck and once again, welcome aboard.

• Like 6

Absolutely something we're doing what was done for us when we joined.  We're all in this together Cader, and we've all had our journeys and battles. This forum provided excellent support to me when I was starting out on my quit, and has never stopped supporting me since. 

I am fairly new in my quit, however I feel amazed by the grit and resilience that people have here, and that motivates me to just clench my teeth and go on, whenever a craving strikes. 

Pretty soon, you're gonna be welcoming new members yourself. 

• Like 8

Hello and welcome ...

Congratulations on the news you are going to be a mama....

Quitting is the best thing you can do for the health of you both....

Spend time reading around the board....you will fight this demon with knowledge....you outsmart it....

Folks that stay close are more likely to succeed....

Looking forward to travelling your journey with you....

• Like 7

Carder28 - Sweetie you can do it for yourself and that wonderful bundle growing on this inside.  You are in the right place for all the support and help you need.  It is just a matter of getting through the first couple of days and then outsmarting the crave.  When you feel the urge, close your eyes and envision that beautiful, healthy child you are going to be holding and loving.  

Stay close and shout out if you need us.  We are here for you!

• Like 6

Welcome Cader!!

You've definitely come to the right place

You can absolutely do this!

Your baby will never know you as a smoker....starting....NOW

stay close to the board and do a lot of reading!  Education is the key and lots and lots of support

always have water handy and some fruits/juice and even sweets if necessary...your blood sugars will tend to run low during the next few days.  

• Like 7

Welcome Cader! Everyone has said everything I would have already. 

Quitting really is as simple as never putting another cigarette in your mouth. 

Because now it's the same as putting one in your baby's mouth. 

Read about nicotine addiction, there are pinned posts at the top of the main board that are full of the info you need to get started! We're behind you 100%, but the heavy load is yours to carry.

Please give yourself this gift; you will never regret it, but you will regret smoking while that baby grows inside you...trust me.

• Like 6

Welcome aboard for this journey Cader.  You have been given great advice from all above.  Read here, Read a lot, the information here well help greatly.  If you have any questions, post here and you will find someone that will help you the best they can.  In the end it is in your hands to quit but the information and the people here are invaluable for your quit -- You Can Do This.

Also plenty of cold water to drink and deep breathing techniques will help.  Also coming her daily for the NOPE pledge does really work.... 

• Like 6

Hi Cader,

You Sound like myself lol.

I can only say what ive learnt myself really:

1) plan for cravings

2) chew gum & eat a bit of crap whilst its early on.

3) Do anything to keep your mind busy even if you dont want to(ive made a list).

4) Walk around in the house/outside for 5 minutes or whatever till you forget the craving or it goes because they do.

Anyway 

Good luck Rhino x

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Cader28 said:

Thank you all so much for the support. I haven't smoked one cigarette since I joined this group!! I'm really craving but your messages are so inspiring and I'm looking forward to a smoke free life.

Thank you

The first month is the hardest Cader, then each month gets a little easier with a few hard day's sprinkled here and there. That's why these boards were/are so important to me. I got past those hard day's with a little help from my friends, let us do that for you :)

• Like 3

^Joe C0cker sang it better.... sorry @Doreensfree 

WELCOME!!! and congratulations on making the choice to quit and on your pregnancy. 

I found when I was pregnant and I quit that when those craves came I just imagined a little tiny bubba in there chocking in a cloud of smoke... or being born with health difficulties and needing ventilation... snapped me right out of it. As others have said a crave really only lasts for 3-5mins. I had an app in the early days of my quit, before i found a support site, that would send me sms for every milestone... *ping* "You have won an award" and there would be a little trophy for 12 hours smoke free, or one day or 2 weeks... it still sends them every now and then.... but the best part of the app was it had a 'crave buster' which was a game of memory match cards... it ran for 5 mins and only once ever did I have to use it 2 times in a row... a crave would latch on and I would start to play and by the time the timer ran out I crave gone. It was brilliant. Also if I was at home I would pull out the cards and have a game of patience.

So crave busters I used when pregnant:

• Imagining the bubba in my womb surrounded by a thick cloud of smoke.... crave gone.
  • Imagining my bubba being born tiny and sick because of my smoking.... crave gone.
  • Writing lists of baby names
  • Doing the numerology of baby names... it wasn't that I believed in numerology it was that the math kept my mind focused on something else.
  • Playing patience
  • Knitting/crocheting for the baby, cos if you do it with smoke hands it makes the wool stanky and didn't want stanky wool for the baby.
  • Playing online games
  • Write a letter to the baby... it takes focus to write a letter, it takes more focus to write a letter by hand.... so I'd get a crave and then I would write a letter to the baby, about how much I would love him/her, what we would do, that sort of thing.

Quitting smoking is the best gift you can give your child but even more so it is the best gift you can give yourself. Sending you best wishes for good luck with a safe and easy pregnancy .... but sending you vibes of strength to keep your quit. There is no luck involved in staying quit... it is all up to you, you decide to put something in your mouth and smoke it our you decide not to, that simple. If it gets tough we here.

• Like 5

Welcome to Quit Train Cader28! Hope you are still doing well and fighting the good fight. You certainly do have extra motivation in quitting right now and staying quit. You've received a lot of great and useful advice already from others. Just take the early days of you quit one at a time. Don't look too far ahead. All you have to focus on is not smoking today! The early days are the most challenging because it;s all so new and you will be retraining your brain to live life without it's old familiar connection to smoking. That takes a lot of time and work on your part. We have all done it and you can too. People here will be thrilled to help you along. You though are the one who needs to put in the hard work so, make that unbreakable commitment to yourself, if you haven't already, that you will do this thing no matter what comes at you in the early days because you're resolve will be challenged along the way. You have found a great place for support though - that will be a big advantage to you as you travel this road. Be sure to take advantage of it and all the information about this addiction that is available here.

One day at a time and one NOPE at a time! You can do it :) 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Wee fluffy me said:

Hellooo just wanted to say welcome and congrats on your pitter patter of tiny feet? and a MEGA well done you on starting your last quit .. Think everything has been covered above so...How you doing today..??

Thank you so much? I must say Notsmokinjo's list is really helping me.  Every time I think of a fag, I think of the little one growing in me, so that's stopped me from smoking today. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Commit to nope and you will not fail, also read in introductions, the 10 ways this forum can help you stop smoking. I am so glad you found us and congratulations on quitting smoking.

Edited by Sazerac
  • Like 4