I’m still closing them garage doors

I don’t know who used the term garage doors to refer to encountering previous situations in which we used to smoke through. While the terminology is weird the concept is not and I’ve found it helps me to be prepared when I’m encountering a new situation. 

People on on this board have seen me post when I needed to do new things like take a flight etc.  I feel a little bit childlike doing this but it is preferable to finding myself with a fag hanging out of my mouth again. (That’s so attractive). 

Next weekend I am moving house. Do part of the preparation, besides packing is checking in with the quitting crew so that my head gets in the right place. 

Something about new situations that have old associations or something can be a bit of a trigger. 

So so wish me well peeps. My anxiety has been up and I’ve come come back here pledging daily again to keep my quit. 

I guess a reminder that that quitting isn’t an event that happens once. 

• Like 10

Hey Give,

You are learning new techniques in dealing with these situations.

Techniques that will last a lifetime and be ever ready to assist you in any situation.

I am so glad you are thinking ahead and protecting your beautiful, beautiful quit.

Remember to take breaks from the mayhem.  Walk away and clear your head.

Breathe deep and slow.

Stay hydrated and fed.

If you have an urge remember HALT, pay attention to what your body needs.

You know it isn't a smoke anymore.  You don't smoke anymore !

Have a happy move.  No doubt it will have it's stressful moments but, at the end of the day it will be a great accomplishment.

Extra points for having a sos box of immediate essentials in sight at all times. 

Corkscrew, wine, water, band-aids, anti-b cream, peroxide, knife, extra keys, change of clothes, important papers, special treats ?

You will know what to have in the sos box.

Edited by Sazerac
  • Like 4

GITW, keep on keeping on, you got this...just as you got through that SOS awhile back! ? Being prepared for different scenarios is key to lessening anxiety and you are doing that! As my first scuba instructor drilled into us..."Plan your dive and dive your plan! " ...since dropping into a new environment could one day mean the difference btwn life and death for a diver who didn't have a plan!

• Like 3

Hi G....

Yes moving.!!!.....stressful....ask our Boo ..he,s just moved too....

My advice .....don't over think....

Smoker or non smoker...what will be ..will be !!!!

Make sure you have your tool box handy...with stuff to help you through...

I bet you surprise yourself ...

A smooth happy move !!!!

• Like 1

Hi Giveintowin

For many of us there seems to be no shortage of the type of trigger situations that you describe that can make you feel vulnerable after quitting. It seems to help you when you post in preparation for these situations, so it is probably a good thing that you continue to do so. No need to feel child like about it. A quit can end so quickly. Probably better to stick with the things that have been working. I think it is also a good thing for many others that you post about these things. Thanks.

I hope you have an easy move.

• Like 4

Hey Give -- good thing coming here.  By posting this you are prepping for the possible trigger -- this will only strengthen your resolve should it happen.  Just remember to take a deep breath and have some cold water available should it happen then take a step back and look at how far you have come and move forward --- you can do this!!  And remember we are always here for you.

• Like 3

Yes! Moving is stressful but as others have said, anticipating in advance that you will be experiencing a new and potentially stressful situation, you have things under control already just by thinking about it in advance. Most situations that we anticipate will be unpleasant are not really all that big a deal when they actually unfold. Anticipation is worse than reality usually. You've battled your way through 8 months of quitting this addiction so you have all the knowledge and tools to keep going - no matter what you might face. You'll be fine :)

• Like 2

Hi givvy, total kudos to you coming here posting in advance. I think thats really smart. Heck, moving is such a pain in the ass! But short term pain, hopefully long term gain. We will be here for you literally every step of the way if you need us. Happy new home when it comes 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Doreensfree said:

Yes moving.!!!.....stressful....ask our Boo ..he,s just moved too....

Yep.  Moving is stressful.  However, I haven't had a single smoking thought through the whole process of moving.  There hasn't been any time for it.

Staying busy is one of the best ways to avoid cravings and moving will keep you very busy.  You finish one job and there's twenty more waiting to be done.

You'll be fine GITW.  Just remember: lift with your legs and don't put anything in your mouth and light it on fire.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, Giveintowin said:

I guess a reminder that that quitting isn’t an event that happens once. 

Well,

Quitting is a single event, but after you quit what follows is a process of separation and recovery from the addiction.

In your first year, you will experience many triggers and stressful situations where you may be reminded to smoke. Each time you confront these triggers and do not smoke, you win. That is how we eliminate triggers, and handle stress as non-smokers. Each time you do that, you find more and more freedom as you stay quit longer.

Be grateful you have quit, because smoking always made stressful situations even more stressful.

I am sure you will be fine with your move. Just remember that smoking would not in any way help your move, or decrease the stress.

It offers to you no benefit at all. Recognize these lies the addiction created in the reptile part of your brain, and keep going with your move, and your life. 

Never forget, in any situation that you believe may challenge your quit, that as long as you keep your quit, tomorrow will always be better than today. The farther you move in time from your last cigarette, the more beautiful life becomes in terms of freedom, mental, physical, emotional and spiritual health.

Cristóbal

Edited by Cristóbal
  • Like 5