Losing the quit weight

Jenny

Gaining weight when you quit is a problem for many, including myself.  I quit smoking nearly 2 years ago and I have gained a lot of weight in the process.  It didn't have to be that way for me.  I've started a diet and exercise program that is working for me.  I have never felt better and it really helps me with the stress in my life too.  I'm gaining more than weight loss, I'm gaining a new healthy way of life.  If your just starting your quit smoking journey or if you've been quit a while like me, incorporate exercise into your day.  For those newly quit, it helps with craves too!

• Like 6

Well I quit my running months ago and now I'm starting again. I'm a fair weather runner. Fair weather everything actually...it's really a struggle to get exercise in when its cold and gets dark early. . .Soooo thankful Spring is here. Woot woot!!

Day 1. Couch to 5k. We'll see how it goes.

• Like 3

Well I quit my running months ago and now I'm starting again. I'm a fair weather runner. Fair weather everything actually...it's really a struggle to get exercise in when its cold and gets dark early. . .Soooo thankful Spring is here. Woot woot!!

Day 1. Couch to 5k. We'll see how it goes.

Hey BarbS - I'm in week 2 of C25K...its great to get back out into the world. 

• Like 1

I eat all of the same stuff except for lolipops...lots of lolipops now.  I used to skip breakfast most days and lunch sometimes as well.  Now I eat breakfast and lunch everyday...and I snack.  I used to NEVER snack.  My scale is all over the place and I don't know if it's even accurate.  I never even thought to weigh myself until two days after I first quit.  At one point I had gained 10 pounds.  Now it says I am 5 pounds heavier than when I started.  I really don't think that's accurate because none of my shorts fit.  

Well, I shouldn't say none...my softee shorts fit just fine...it's the jean shorts..you know the ones you have to button.  They are all very tight!  Not helping with the anxiety issue as it makes it difficult to breath!!  

My stepdaughter was talking about one of the girls on her softball team the other day.  Talking about how she worked out and lifted and had crazy arm muscles.  She turned to me and said "Remember like a couple years ago when you used to have those muscles?"  Ugh...Probably not from quitting smoking and more from going from working outside everyday to now working at the computer everyday...but I don't think quitting smoking is going to help.  

Going to have to figure something out.  Right now the gym isn't really an option so will need a "do it at home" type program.  

Jogged this morning 4.75 miles. I have the apple sensor now in my shoe so trying to get some motivation from tracking using this. I run by a lake sometimes with so many birds. Today there were some panda bear looking birds there

• Like 3

Jogged this morning 4.75 miles. I have the apple sensor now in my shoe so trying to get some motivation from tracking using this. I run by a lake sometimes with so many birds. Today there were some panda bear looking birds there

Panda bear looking birds?  Hmm..that's a mystery.

I remember sitting on my couch watching late night TV and seeing those infomercials with Shaun T selling Insanity. As a smoker, every time I saw those stupid commercials, it was a constant reminder that I needed to quit and get my ass into shape. Well, 7 months later I'm no longer a smoker and just finished my first round of Insanity. ;)

• Like 6

I used an app called myfitnesspal and lost 22lbs last year ... I know a few people that have tried it and all agree it works ... bonus is you get to eat/drink your calories burnt through exercise !

• Like 1

Gaining weight when you quit is a problem for many, including myself.  I quit smoking nearly 2 years ago and I have gained a lot of weight in the process.  It didn't have to be that way for me.  I've started a diet and exercise program that is working for me.  I have never felt better and it really helps me with the stress in my life too.  I'm gaining more than weight loss, I'm gaining a new healthy way of life.  If your just starting your quit smoking journey or if you've been quit a while like me, incorporate exercise into your day.  For those newly quit, it helps with craves too!

Are you going to a gym or doing your exercise program from home?

A typical daily menu

Breakfast:

Protein shake which consists of .5 cup of frozen fruit, 1 scoop of whey protein, 1 cup of skim milk.

Lunch:

Turkey burger on whole wheat bun

.5 cup of 2% cottage cheese

1 green apple

Dinner:

4oz sirloin steak

2 cups of steamed broccoli

1 cup mixed vegetables

Snacks:

Power bar

.5 cup 2% cottage cheese

Celery sticks

Total calories consumed: 1,620 (41% protein, 39% carbs, 20% fat)

• Like 2

I used an app called myfitnesspal and lost 22lbs last year ... I know a few people that have tried it and all agree it works ... bonus is you get to eat/drink your calories burnt through exercise !

I used this for a short time.  I felt that it helped also. It teaches you the nutritional value of the foods you are eating. That is where I needed the help. 

I remember sitting on my couch watching late night TV and seeing those infomercials with Shaun T selling Insanity. As a smoker, every time I saw those stupid commercials, it was a constant reminder that I needed to quit and get my ass into shape. Well, 7 months later I'm no longer a smoker and just finished my first round of Insanity. ;)

Shawn T is a freaking maniac. (Jump! Jump!)

I do like his ab workout.

My heart will always belong though to 1) Jillian 2) Bob.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well, my weight is on it's way down again slowly.  I get off track sometimes.  Back at it now!  Today was a good "eating" day as there was much food around and I loaded up on vegetables and some lean turkey.

I know what I need to do.  I just need to do It consistently. 

How is it possible for my weight to change 4 lbs in one day????

Absolutely.  Water weight from eating foods higher in sodium, what time of day you weight yourself, bathroom habits etc.  You can't gain four pounds of anything except water weight in one day.

WHY can't sushi be low calorie.

And inexpensive.

It's TOTALLY inexpensive if you learn to DIY. Mrs Sarge and I started doing our own once a week 'cause we thought same: too pricey.

Low Cal? Anything is low calorie if you portion it the right way.

Easy Peasy

• Like 1

How is it possible for my weight to change 4 lbs in one day????

The Sarge can lose 4 in one run (just a couple hours) - mostly water but on a long 20+ miler can lose a pound of actual weight + 2 or 3 in water/sweat.

Fun Fact: The average person craps 2 pounds a day.

4-ish pound swing in a day ain't out of the realm of "normal"

Happy Crappy

• Like 2

All I know at the minute is its Easter and there is way too much chocolate about, all within hand grabbing distance, I have been very good up to now, eating well, I exercise every night for 40 mins apart from a Saturday which maintains me, I've put on a little but am ok with that, once the better weather has arrived for good it will be back to walking for me  :lol:

• Like 1

I eat all of the same stuff except for lolipops...lots of lolipops now.  I used to skip breakfast most days and lunch sometimes as well.  Now I eat breakfast and lunch everyday...and I snack.  I used to NEVER snack.  My scale is all over the place and I don't know if it's even accurate.  I never even thought to weigh myself until two days after I first quit.  At one point I had gained 10 pounds.  Now it says I am 5 pounds heavier than when I started.  I really don't think that's accurate because none of my shorts fit.  

Well, I shouldn't say none...my softee shorts fit just fine...it's the jean shorts..you know the ones you have to button.  They are all very tight!  Not helping with the anxiety issue as it makes it difficult to breath!!  

My stepdaughter was talking about one of the girls on her softball team the other day.  Talking about how she worked out and lifted and had crazy arm muscles.  She turned to me and said "Remember like a couple years ago when you used to have those muscles?"  Ugh...Probably not from quitting smoking and more from going from working outside everyday to now working at the computer everyday...but I don't think quitting smoking is going to help.  

Going to have to figure something out.  Right now the gym isn't really an option so will need a "do it at home" type program.  

Trish, I found a series of videos called "Fit in Five" on the Doctor Oz website...there are four of them...