Will I ever stop wanting to smoke?

Aine

Yes. It finally happened for a few hours today. 6 weeks quit, and each day slightly better, with a few hiccup days occasionally. But, still most of my brain has been caught up with "not smoking." Today I worked in my new office (got a promotion, too, that actually came with some more money--doesn't usually happen that way. lol!) and then went to the gym after work. Either it was just time and/or the new office, where I had never had any smoking triggers occur, but I actually felt at peace as a non smoker. You all said "wait." I didn't think it could happen for me; after all, I smoked a lot, for a very long time. . .

I'm going to keep waiting. For more hours, more days, of not killing myself.

I'm starting to think that maybe I can do this.

Thanks, all of you. I couldn't have done this alone.

• Like 21

Yes. It finally happened for a few hours today. 6 weeks quit, and each day slightly better, with a few hiccup days occasionally. But, still most of my brain has been caught up with "not smoking." Today I worked in my new office (got a promotion, too, that actually came with some more money--doesn't usually happen that way. lol!) and then went to the gym after work. Either it was just time and/or the new office, where I had never had any smoking triggers occur, but I actually felt at peace as a non smoker. You all said "wait." I didn't think it could happen for me; after all, I smoked a lot, for a very long time. . .

So happy for you...and you are paying it forward every day.  Congratulations on your promotion!

Awesome news Aine!  The first realization of how great not smoking can be is just the best, a huge self confidence boost.  Guess what?  It gets even better than that  :)  Congrats on the promotion!!

Freedom is addicting and there's no going back.  As strong as you are, you're a non-smoker forever.

Congrats on the promotion too!

1)Congrats Ms. Promotion. Is Comrade gonna start calling you his sugar momma? :p

2) Feels good, huh? Surreal almost....to go long stretches without thinking of smoking/not smoking. Sometimes now when it does pop into mind, the only word I can find to describe what I feel is apathetic. I just feel nothing about smoking.

I love that :)

I'm glad you're here. I really enjoy your posts.

I really love this post, Aine!

I loved those times when I'd realize, "Hey, I haven't even thought of a smoke for 'X' amount of time!

What a relief that realization was!!

And...congrats on the promotion! That is really cool.

B)

• Like 1

Aine....it's those moments that I am striving for now. Those minutes where you don't think about smoking, and you don't think about not smoking. I have experienced those in the past. I think that is what nonsmokers call 'life'.

I gave up those beautiful moments with just one puff.

Now, I am striving to get back to that exact place where you are right now. I know I will get there....it's only time. Time I could be a smoker and never reach that place or time as a nonsmoker and get there in about 6 weeks like you did. I'll never catch your time, but I will catch up to where you are today. You will then be able to tell me all the wonders of being 12 weeks free!

Way to go. You're an inspiration!

Aine, I guarantee you that the day will come that you will ask yourself "did I really used to smoke or was that some crazy nitemare???"

You will find that the longer you're quit, the less the "thought" of wanting a cig will become... until the thoughts just fade away.  You are rockin your quit, good job!

cong15.gif

• Like 2

how many times did we p*** you off Aine telling you that it would get better ;) your post makes me so pleased for you hun and congratulations on your promotion you definately are going from strength to strength xx

• Like 1

how many times did we p*** you off Aine telling you that it would get better ;) your post makes me so pleased for you hun and congratulations on your promotion you definately are going from strength to strength xx

Too many to count! lol!

My two cents...NO

As an ex smoker, I'm thinking you will always romanticize about how great it felt and tasted to smoke. The truth is (as we all know) the opposite.

I was standing outside SAMs Club the other day as my Daughter was selling Girl Scout cookies. I watched employee after employee go to the smoking area on break and burn one or two. As I continued to watch my mind would race about how good that looked and how wonderful a cigarette must taste. Towards the end of the day, I walked over to the area (when no smokers were around) and was totally disturbed by the smell. The whole area smelled like a horrible ashtray and I could actually taste it. It brought back all the bad memories and reasons why I wanted to quit in the first place.

• Like 2

At 7 months or so I was walking around at work and happened to see smokers outside. It hit me like a bolt out of the blue, that I hadn't thought about a cigarette all day, no craves, no thoughts at all. It was mid afternoon,

I think I realized that I had finally arrived, that what I wanted to feel, I had just experienced.

It was amazing. I remembered that I had read that it would be that way, that I would be surprised.

I was really surprised...it will happen  :)

• Like 1