My quit date is 04/09/2014

Amy

I have been a smoker since the age of 13.  Not good.  I have tried everything to quit and actually did stop smoking for 3 weeks in October 2012.  After hurricane Sandy we had no power for 2 weeks and that 2nd Sunday I went out and picked up a pack of cigarettes.  I was doing great until then.  So I keep

on telling myself I have to quit and just resist buying the pack of cigarettes. It has been 17 months

since I am really determined to quit smoking.  I have developed a wheezing in my lungs and I

know they are hurting.  I seem to smoke almost twice as much since my last quit attempt.

So I picked a date April 9th 2014 in days I will quit smoking.  Wish me luck.

• Like 8

You go for that quit - we will drag you through it!!! 

Post a SOS WHENEVER you feel like cracking, I did today. Sometimes even as prevention. 

You'll be so proud and your lungs will improve within 2 weeks. Even days. 

Do it. Make it happen. And Not One Puff Ever. Keep that one in mind - NOPE

• Like 3

Welcome Amy so great to see you here :) you have come to the right place for support and education on the Whys and what Ifs keep reading and posting this will be a great help to you

again welcome onboard :)

• Like 5

Hi Amy, welcome to the board!

Congratulations on your decision to quit smoking - the best decision you could ever make :)

I used to think that I would never be able to quit smoking; I had quit many (many) times in the past only to relapse a few days/weeks/months later. I never knew why I kept relapsing.

I know now that the reasons I couldn't stay quit were:

1. Education. I did not even know that 1 cigarette can awaken my addiction. I did not know that my mind was trying to trick me to smoke. I did not know that the only way to make the withdrawals stop for good was to never smoke again. I did not know to take it one day at a time.

2. Support. My wife and most of my friends and family are never-smokers. They simply did not understand me and I did not feel like I was able to get the support needed to stay quit.

3. Accountability. I was not accountable to anyone; if I relapsed, no one was particularly bothered; they were probably expecting it anyway ;). Now I have the board members to be accountable to. How can I help them beat their own addictions if I can't control my own. How could I possibly post on here and tell some of my dear friends that I smoked... No way!

I think you will like it here and we will be very happy to have you :)

• Like 3

Welcome Amy  :)   Have a look around the forum, you will find a lot of help here.  In my experience, once you let go of the fear of quitting and commit to N.O.P.E. it becomes much easier.  

• Like 1

good luck amy although luck does not really come into it, determination, will power,wanting not to smoke more than too smoke, to name but a few.

i am sure you will do very well if you set your mind to succeed. heres to many many posts from you and please read as many posts as you can

Hi Amy and welcome on board, your quit journey will be amazing journey, please read all you can and educate yourself as much as you can about the addict inside we are all here to support you as much as you need 

Welcome Aboard Amy.

Congratulations on a fantastic decision. 

Read all you can - understanding the addiction is key to beating the addiction.

We cover pretty much all time zones here - so keep posting away!

Quitting is the best thing you will ever do (and we can have a little fun too ;) )

Hi Amy, You sound as if you absolutely want this, I'm so pleased for you.  There should be some pinned posts that may help to read. I'm sorry you relapsed but I often think our previous failed quits set us up for this one - the one where you square your shoulders like you are. Here to help and support any time you need it. xx

• Like 1

Hi Amy and welcome!

Congrats on the best decision that you could possibly make right now.  If you're at all apprehensive about quitting (I think we all were!), what are your top 3 things that concern you the most about once you put out your last cigarette?

Hi Amy!

Welcome and congrats on your decision to quit smoking! It's the best decision you can make, trust me. :) You have found the right place for support and information. We all have been where you are now and can help you with your journey. Quitting is hard, but I can assure you, it gets easier with time. The best thing you can do is really commit yourself to your quit, find distractions, and post/read as much as possible.

Looking forward to seeing you around the board. :) 

Welcome Amy!!!

Have you read Allen Carr's book called The Easy Way to Stop Smoking?  It is an awesome book and helped many of us here get into the right frame of mind when starting our quit journey.  If you can start reading it right away, you can smoke while you read it and be ready to put out your last smoke on the 9th!  

Hello Amy and Congratulations on your decision to quit!!

You are going to look back on this and realize that it was much harder waiting these few days to start your quit, than it actually is quitting!  

Why wait... go for it right now!!  You can do it!!!! We are all here to guide you  to the best of our abilities, but ultimately it is up to you and your commitment to your quit!!!

Few people succeed on their first attempt, so now that you have that out of the way, lets get on with the one that is gonna last forever. 

No luck required, you just do it... its all a frame of mind!!!

Welcome to the QT!!!