Introduce Yourself!

KEL

21 hours ago, gum_addict said:

Thank you, Boo. I don't yet know when the day will come for me that not smoking will not be the largest thing in my life but I look forward to that day nonetheless. 

I found those nagging, persistent thoughts of smoking to be the biggest pain in the ass of the quit process in the early days.  One night I had a breakthrough moment, decided to stop fighting it and just let it be.  It was smooth sailing after that.

Your turning point moment might be sudden or it may set in gradually, but it will happen.  Hang in and keep moving forward.

You're doing well Gum_Addict.

• Like 4

On 1/27/2022 at 3:27 PM, nicotine_free said:

Thank you for responding to me with encouragement, it means a lot to me as I trudge my way through the first few weeks. I just chewed a non-nicotine gum instead and it feels like I have a real shot at quitting at the moment.

Welcome, @nicotine_free!  Great job on 4 weeks down.  I started chewing sugar-free non-nicotine gum (Orbit) when I quit and it helped a great deal, particularly when I was driving which was a huge trigger for me.  Actually, everything was a huge trigger for me since I smoked almost everywhere, including at home and in the car, but chewing on gum helped to distract me. Once you're ready to start putting the nicotine gum aside, try switching off between the nicotine gum and a regular gum and see if that helps.  Keep up the great work!

• Like 2

Hi!  I’m Judi.  I’ve been smoking for 63 years!  I am 77.  I was just diagnosed with lung cancer.  I’m am going into the hospital next Thursday to have the upper lobe of my left lung removed where the tumor is.  They caught it early; stage one.

Obviously, I need to quit smoking immediately?  I don’t even remember not being a smoker.  I’ve tried many many times over the years to quit; to no avail.  Im reaching out for any help I can get.  I’ve purchased patches I will be starting tomorrow.  Im hoping speaking with others may help.  I need all the support I can get,

Thank you for listening.

• Sad 5

Welcome @JudiMD, I'm sorry about your cancer diagnosis. Thank goodness they caught it early. Quitting smoking after 63 years may seem scary but dying of cancer is scarier so you've made a great decision by choosing to quit. 

Stick close to our site, especially the first few months. Read the tons of threads we have to learn about our addiction or if videos are more your thing, we have a whole forum of them. And most importantly post an SOS if you feel you're going to cave to a crave. We will do our best to talk you off the ledge and keep your awesome quit.

• Like 4

I am sorry to hear of your diagnosis. Since you are going in for surgery I would check with your doctor before you start using the patches.  I don't know if it is okay to have any nicotine in your system when going into surgery.

Many of us here have quit for health reasons.  It is not easy but we are doing it and you can too, Spend some time reading the board.  There is a lot of good information and advice to help you along and great people that will support you. Look forward to getting to know you!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jillar said:

Welcome @JudiMD, I'm sorry about your cancer diagnosis. Thank goodness they caught it early. Quitting smoking after 63 years may seem scary but dying of cancer is scarier so you've made a great decision by choosing to quit. 

Stick close to our site, especially the first few months. Read the tons of threads we have to learn about our addiction or if videos are more your thing, we have a whole forum of them. And most importantly post an SOS if you feel you're going to cave to a crave. We will do our best to talk you off the ledge and keep your awesome quit.

Thanks, Jillar.  👍🏼

54 minutes ago, Kris said:

I am sorry to hear of your diagnosis. Since you are going in for surgery I would check with your doctor before you start using the patches.  I don't know if it is okay to have any nicotine in your system when going into surgery.

Many of us here have quit for health reasons.  It is not easy but we are doing it and you can too, Spend some time reading the board.  There is a lot of good information and advice to help you along and great people that will support you. Look forward to getting to know you!

I think you’re right, Kris.  I guess I’m not thinking clearly right now.  I guess I will start the patches after surgery.  I’ll ask my doctor how soon I can.  At least I have them at the ready.  Thanks for reminding me,  

Edited by JudiMD

Hi Judi ...I too am sorry your having to deal with this ...Quitting smoking is the best thing you can do for yourself to help with your recovery ....I too was a 60 yrs plus smoker ..it is doable ....

You asked about going on the patches after your surgery ....

While your in hospital your body will be cleansing itself of nicotine ...it takes 3 days ...so already you will have a good start .

There is no reason for you to go on a patch and put more nicotine in your body ..just to rid of it a little later ...

My advice ....

Make a positive desision never to take nicotine of any form back into your system....

If you go to our Main Discussion Smoking Board ...you will find tons of useful info....also  videos..that will talk you through most of your fears ...

Dont look at it as a negative thing your doing ....it's all positive .....your getting rid of something that is destroying your well being ....

Stay close to us....we will help you through it ....read old posts here ...get as much information as you can ..

It will help you ...🐸

Edited by Doreensfree
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Sorry to hear of your diagnosis @JudiMD, but so very thankful they found it early. Stay on this site as much as you are able to during your initial quit. It helps so very much to read all of the posts made by other quitters and please send out an SOS if needed. There is almost always someone on here to help. Oh and welcome aboard! 🤗

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you everybody so much.  I’ve been out of the hospital a couple days, now.  The recovery is painful but he’s sure he got it all.  🙏

Smoke free for one week today.  Urges are grueling but hanging in there.  Thanks again for all your kind words.  😘

• Like 11

Hello Judi and so sorry for all you are going through. I am new so it will be an honor to take this journey with you. We are very close on our quits so we can do this as a team. Don't feel bad as I too am learning how to get around this site. I am going cold turkey but you do whatever it takes to keep the quit. You will remain in my nightly prayers. Stay close to the boards and stay strong. 

• Like 7

Glad all went well and happy to have you here. Stay close and you will find support here to get you off the smoking. As for myself, I started my quit over 5 years ago after a long time smoking because of a 9 day stay in the hospital with pneumonia. Look to the future as a non-smoker. Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Hope to see you hanging out here.

• Like 7