First Day!!!! WOOHOOOOO!!!!!

Nana20

Hey guys just wanted to drop a line and say at 11:10pm last night I had my last cigarette I couldn't handle the nausea anymore. The nausea only hit when I was smoking a cigarette. So, I went hours without smoking and didn't have the first sign of nausea. Then as soon as I would smoke a cigarette the nausea would overtake me. I also noticed that when I don't drink a full bottle of water I will also get nauseous. But I am getting my nausea from the Chantix under control and I am doing great so far today with cravings. I am still having them but I am able to manage my way through it. I am using my own mantra designed around NOPE. And when a craving hits I use HALT. Am I hungry, am I thirsty am I bored, what am I feeling I need. When I haven't been able to figure it out. I grab me a snack, a glass of water( seems to be the only thing I can drink ) and my laptop and come here and read. Oh and I have been up since like 5 so I've had some craves this morning. First day we are making it through.

Edited by Nana20
Proof reading it
  • Like 10

YAY Nana !  You quit smoking ! WHOOHOOOOO!!! is RIGHT !  

HALT is an incredible tool, I still use.  not for craves or triggers anymore, just for when I feel upset or unsettled.

Riffing On H.A.L.T.

and also check this out, a thread about what helped us through the first days

Your First Days, Nicotine Free

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I plan on sticking really close to the board today. I'm not think about tomorrow. I am only taking it an hour at a time a day at the most I am only going to worry about the NOW!!!!

• Like 6

Way to go Nana,

Thinking outside the box. You keep doing what you're doing and the hours will turn to days and days will turn to weeks and so on. You are on the right path to a quality quit. Always remember to make smart choices and practice the NOPE or Halt philosophies.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Keep it up and look to any positives you begin to notice. How much $$ did you save today not having cigarettes? Know that you have taken the first HUGE and important step in improving your future and perhaps even saving your life!

1 hour, 1 minute, 1 battle at a time will get you there. You have an entire village behind you :) 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Way - to- go Nana....

The minute you stub out that last cancer stick ...your a Non Smoker ...

All you have to do is Never Light Another ....

There is so much info here ..spend your time reading and watching ...and having some fun too...

You can do it !!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nana20 said:

I plan on sticking really close to the board today. I'm not think about tomorrow. I am only taking it an hour at a time a day at the most I am only going to worry about the NOW!!!!

Stick close and shout out with any concern or experience.  Let us know how you are negotiating the rough bits.  This will be invaluable for other quitters to know.

There is only NOW.

NOW always.  Everything else is a construct.

Stay in the NOW.  This is one of the gifts that quitting helped me with,

being in the NOW and completely current with myself.

No future tripping or reminiscing.  There is a time for all that but, not right now.

Now, is where I want to live.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Nana20 said:

Great plan.  Stick close to this site and take it one day/hour/minute at a time.  You can do this!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Welcome Nana, I'm wishing you every success with your quit. stay positive and have lots of rewards. When you think how much a pack of smokes cost a day, then surely a small reward even daily to start with, or save it and have a bigger treat at the end of each week. It sure helps to keep motivated, and to have those nice things that were,nt so affordable when smoking  was taking all your money!

All the best.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome. I made it through yesterday fairly quietly. I stayed in my room and just kinda watched TV and dozed. I also stocked my mini fridge (I have teens and if I want anything I have to keep it in my room.) with waters fruit cups and some not so healthy snacks. I also kept my computer on this site so when I was have a bad crave I could just pick up my computer and read. Haven't really been in the mood to talk feel kind of snappish, but its all good. I had one crave that was a really hard crave, I mean I went psycho. (in a hilarious funny way that felt all to emotional and teary, but was laughing afterwards.) I had a trigger first thing in the morning, I was cooking breakfast for everyone, and I was almost done cooking when I asked my daughter to set the table. She then proceeded to get an attitude with me. Her getting an attitude is a huge trigger for me. It is a big button pusher. so I got upset, a crave hit. Man I was walking around crying, upset because I was having this bigger than life crave and I am storming out my house tears streaming down my face telling everyone to basically go f**** themselves, storming down the road. I stop look down at myself. I am in my pj's housecoat. no shoes. hair standing on end. big tears flowing down my face and I am crying screaming I am done, they can keep the house, I was out. I make it to the corner and I am like WTH am I doing. So I walk back home walk back inside and they are trying not to laugh because it was a very hilarious thing to see (please feel free to laugh as I did after it all passed). but through all that craziness. Through all the drama of that crave. I not once asked for a cigarette. I not once thought of a cigarette. The truly ironic thing was is I didn't even notice that. I was to wrapped up being mad and crying, but later my husband was like I expected you to scream for someone to give you a cigarette, but you didn't once mention it. He said you could tell that it wasn't even an option. So after that happen I said I think I am going in my room. everyone adhere to the note on the door. which I will post a picture of, but it said " If you answer yes to any of the following questions skip knocking and come straight in. Are you bleeding out? Is someone dying? Is this an emergency? Now if the answer to this questions is yes. Do you want something? Then go ask someone else I am out of the office. and I just sat here and took it easy. So I made it through day 1 now onto day 2. lets see what today has to bring for me.

• Like 8

That's the way it's done Nana20!! Congrats!

Git yer fight on against that Nicodemon because he WILL challenge you but no worries, It's all part of the quit process. We've all been there, down and dirty in the trenches and amazed at the emotional levels we have reached in the early days. Hang in ..... it gets better (lots better) :) 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Yeah it was crazy. I felt like a crazy person in the middle of a meltdown. It was beyond anything I have experienced in the past. Thank you for letting me know that I'm not the only one who went a little berserk.

• Like 5

Hey Nana...

I had a punching pillow ....I put a face on it with a marker .of a certain person ...

And in my craves .. I punched that pillow all over the room ...

I'm normally a very laid back person ... your body is going through some massive changes ...

It's all Tempory.....believe me your not alone ....

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hey Nana !  So glad you are still with us and conquering this addiction.

We all had meltdowns. 

I walked in a fury a few miles down to the railroad tracks

and waited for the train whistle.  Practiced my primal screaming for a v. long time.

I was a wild woman that day.

Early in my quit, I remember reading on one of the quit sites,

a woman admitted to, in a frenzy having a major tree cut down at her house.

She was a tree hugger !

She was regretful but, just couldn't take that friggin' tree anymore.

You may establish new perimeters with your stroppy teen, this is a time for change.

Be super kind to yourself.  Pamper yourself and show others how you want to be pampered.

Reward yourself often.  Just because !  You quit smoking, ffs !

Rewards can be a soothing drink, a bath of bubbles and silence.  Listening to a certain piece of music, headphones save my life.

Re-visiting a happy memory, looking into the faces of those who love you human and four legged.  Find your Joy.

All these treats that make you happy will ignite your endorphins that addiction stole away.

Glad you are laughing through all the tears. 

You never have to go through this again

and

believe us when we tell you, it gets better.  It gets a whole lot better in short time.

S

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Nana20 said:

Yeah it was crazy. I felt like a crazy person in the middle of a meltdown. It was beyond anything I have experienced in the past. Thank you for letting me know that I'm not the only one who went a little berserk.

Welcome to the forum! I wanted you to know that you are, as you say "I'm not the only one" is so very true. There are a lot of us here who are putting up a fight to keep our quits. You made a Great choice in coming here for support. These people have been here for me since day one of this quit. Please read everything that is recommended to you and then keep reading. Watch those videos about how big tobacco hooked us young for future earnings! 

I also have those days, and times during the day, when I feel like I'm melting down. We just have to work through it! It's the only way out of our collective slavery!

It sounds like you have gotten off to a Great start. I wish you luck with your quit! We will all be here to give advice and encouragement!

Jeff

• Like 5

You are doing great Nana.

5 hours ago, Nana20 said:

Thank you for letting me know that I'm not the only one who went a little berserk.

I spent a night pacing around the house cursing under my breath and did several sets of push-ups to exhaustion during the first week of my quit.  I looked like a man who was destined for a trip to, as my grandmother called it, "the nervous hospital."

And I've already told the story about the morning I forgot to put pants on while getting ready for work...

I'm thankful for those memories now.  A little insanity in the name of a good cause is no sin.

• Like 6

Welcome to your Third Day of Freedom @Nana20 !

Today, most of the nicotine has left your body.  WOO HOO.  Your lungs have been  busy scrubbing the cilia clean.

and you are well on your way to adjusting your patterns incorporating  your Freedom.

Stay focused.  Reward yourself.  

S

• Like 3

Wow you are so strong and determined. Big Well done for getting through that, where some would have been throwing in the towel, you faced it and slammed it to the floor. 
I remember screaming in my car like a mad woman, and crying a lot. One day I even grabbed my bag and started walking to the shop. Thankfully it was quite a walk, and on the way I calmed down and talked my self out of what I was going to do. I made it to the shop and bought sweets to eat on the walk home. 
As Sazerac says, pamper yourself, and have lots of treats.

it will get easier I promise.just Stay Determined.

• Like 4

Hey Nana,

Your determination is a little inspirational. That's how real quits are achieved. True commitment and raw determination are the backbone of a long successful quit. So, pamper and reward yourself for each and every accomplishment because you deserve it. Stay safe, make smart choices and always remember to NOPE.

• Like 3