Introducing myself

Icanhike

Hello Everyone,

I smoked for 43 years and quit 11 days ago.  I never thought I'd be free from my addiction, and I used the patch to make it through that first day without smoking.  That day was a miracle for me!  My next goal is to get nicotine completely out of my life, so I made a plan to be off the patch by this Tuesday at the latest.  I hope to someday go hiking and NOT make a spectacle of myself as I practically collapse on the trail, gasping for air.  I live in Colorado and maybe I'll get better enough to actually make it up hills.  Or maybe not.  But either way, I'll be out there trying!   Thanks for listening, and I'm glad I can hear from people who took control of their lives!!  

• Like 11

Hi, ICH! You have made a good choice. After i first quit i would walk a half a block and breath like a bulldog, i can now runs miles and my breathing is very good. You can do it. Here is a video to watch, lungs will heal and some good tips in here

• Like 4

Welcome, Icanhike !

Congratulations on quitting ELEVEN days ago !

That is GREAT.

Please reward yourself, it is part of the healing.

The Significance of Rewards

You will be astounded at the capacity of your lungs to heal

and I am sure you will notice a huge difference v. quickly.

Protect your quit.  You are doing the best work you can do

and will reap benefits you never dreamed of.

Spend time learning all you can about Nicotine addiction.

This will facilitate a successful quit.  Knowledge is Power.

We are here to support you in every way we can.

Take some time, stroll around the site.

We know exactly what you are going through

and it is exciting to see you be a hero to yourself.

• Like 5

Hello and welcome Icanhike ...

Congratulations for taking your life back in control....so glad you found us ....

You will get a 100 percent support here.... All the way to Freedom ...

We have a few great runners here....I'm sure they will be along to spur you on your way.....

You will be amazing on how quick your lungs will start to heal....

• Like 3

Welcome aboard, Icanhike.  You are doing a great thing by quitting nicotine and taking control of your life.

Stick around.  Read up on nicotine addiction.  Reach out if you are struggling.  The people here will gladly support you and want to see you succeed.

• Like 5

Welcome to the train Icanhike :) Great start to your quit - congrats! That first week is the worst you'll likely face. It's a journey though so be patient and stick with your commitment and you'll find freedom like the rest of us here have. Stick around here for 2 reasons; #1 you'll get a lot of support from other quitters who know exactly what you're going through; #2 there's a ton of very helpful information that can help you understand this nicotine addiction and how to break free of it for good! Hope to see you around for the long term :) 

• Like 4

ICH, welcome aboard on this journey.  Looks like you are getting a good start -- Congrats.  Your lungs will improve and walking will get better -- You have a good goal already, that will help.  Come here often you will get a lot of support and maybe find some new friends!!!

• Like 4

Welcome aboard, Icanhike! Congrats on the 11 days smoke-free! Stick around and educate yourself on your nicotine addiction, this is key. Read, read, read, watch the Joel videos and join in!

• Like 5

Welcome icanhike, congratulations on 11 days quit, that's awesome! You'll get all the support you need or want here so stick close :) Oh and there's nothing wrong with using NRT to help you stay smoke free. If you feel like you need to use it longer than there's no shame in that game :) 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Icanhike said:

Thanks for listening

Thanks for telling!  Its nice to see new people hopping on and you really do yourself a favour by introducing yourself and reading about others who took control.

What a great goal you have. I had a 3 hour walk along the beach just yesterday and it felt so good, no dizzyness whatsoever.  

Like @johnny5 said, reach out when you struggle so we can provide support. :)

How are you today?

• Like 6

Wow, the people here are truly the greatest!  Thank you for all the replies and advice.   Well, I'm making it through another day and let me tell you, I eat CONSTANTLY, lol.  I don't need the patch to avoid smoking, because I'm not willing to jeopardize my success at this point - I feel like I'll never smoke again.  But I do love the patch because it controls my level of bitchiness.  I haven't put it on yet today, and my rotten mood continues to escalate.  But I'm going to try and stay off the patch, and just see if I can get the nicotine withdrawals over with.  Thanks again for your replies...I'm so lucky having a line to other quitters!!!  

• Like 6

Glad to hear your positive comments about your early quit ICH!

I had a similar issue with the patch in my early quit. I forgot to put it on after my morning shower on day 3. When I realized it around noon that day I figured .... OK; let's see how long I can go because I wanted nicotine out of my system as soon as possible. For me. it worked :) I'm still not sure if that was the right decision or not but I did make it through.

In the end, do what ever you have to in order to keep your quit going. In retrospect, it was totally worth the quit symptoms - bitchiness, sleep disruptions, and brain fog etc. That stuff doesn't last that long so it's an annoyance but very doable.

Great job so far. Keep it going :) 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Icanhike said:

Wow, the people here are truly the greatest!  Thank you for all the replies and advice.   Well, I'm making it through another day and let me tell you, I eat CONSTANTLY, lol.  I don't need the patch to avoid smoking, because I'm not willing to jeopardize my success at this point - I feel like I'll never smoke again.  But I do love the patch because it controls my level of bitchiness.  I haven't put it on yet today, and my rotten mood continues to escalate.  But I'm going to try and stay off the patch, and just see if I can get the nicotine withdrawals over with.  Thanks again for your replies...I'm so lucky having a line to other quitters!!!  

You might find this thread with our anecdotal evidence helpful

First Week, Nicotine Free

Congratulations to you for EVERY day, EVERY moment of your new FREEDOM !

After a few days, nicotine free you will start to feel SO much better

but, don't jeopardize your quit.  Stay with patches if patches are what you need.

I say, you will feel SO much better because you will begin to stop the cycle of nicotine.

There may be discomfort but, psychologically KNOWING you are free is a great feeling

and this helps you through the hard slogs.

Remember when you crave to think about H. A. L. T.

Are you ?

Hungry (thirsty)

Angry (emotional)

Lonesome (bored)

Tired

Edited by Sazerac
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Icanhike said:

It's all Temporary... And will pass.....I had a punching pillow ..did I beat the life out of that thing ...

Your body is going through some massive changes....

Love your positive attitude ...

Stay close ...

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Icanhike said:

Ha!  That's funny you had a punching pillow.  I've been wishing I had one of those punching bags you see in gyms.  Glad this will pass...I don't want this to be my new personality.

Any old pillow will do ...I drew a face on it with a marker ...not saying who...but that pillow went flying through the air ..

Which is funny..cos I'm the most laid back person normally... It will soon pass...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Huge congratulations on your almost 2 week quit, Ican.  You've done it and there's no stopping you now!    My smoking history is similar to yours and I'm also in Colorado, so I know all about the extra challenges for smoker's lungs at higher altitudes, and I'm here on the sidelines rooting extra hard for you.    

• Like 4

Hello ICH ‘ welcome! Congratulations on your quit!!  Your mood will stabilize soon- just let your loved ones know to not take it personally/  being a short tempered is better than being a smoker!  

Youre off to a good start. I look forward to reading of your continued success!! 

• Like 5

Welcome aboard Icanhike.  Congratulations on a great decision to quit smoking.

You will reap the rewards of quitting out on the trails.  And everywhere else for that matter.

On 2/23/2019 at 2:41 PM, Icanhike said:

I live in Colorado and maybe I'll get better enough to actually make it up hills.  

In fairness, what Colorado hikers call "hills" the rest of us call mountains.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hi Guys,

I completed 15 days without cigarettes, and 3 days off the patch.  I got the side effect of little ulcers in my mouth, so it hurts to eat.  Pretty sure my mouth will feel better tomorrow.   I went hiking today, and it was horrible, and I'm so mad at myself for having done all this damage to my lungs and heart.  I have the impulse to warn kids...I wish there would be an abrupt end to kids trying cigarettes!   But happy day, I'm off nicotine!!  yahoooo!

• Like 8