What did you use to do

Wayne045

This is probably more a reflection of the modern social stigma of smoking, than in past years.

Seen this guy at work who smokes cigars.   He doesn't hide while smoking, so not a closet smoker.   Then a few days ago,  I happened to be in the restroom when he came in smelling of cigar.  He washed his hands and then proceeded to wash his face and head (close cropped hair).  Wouldn't have been surprised if he had mouthwash but I didn't hang around to watch.

That is definitely going the whole 9 yards to cover it up.  I wondered is he just being conscientious so as not offend anyone or really hates that he smells.   Maybe both.

What lengths did you go to to cover it up?  I would always wash my hands after coming in and have a mint (if I had any), if not then get a long drink of water to sort of wash to taste out of my mouth.  In colder weather I would wear this old hoodie to go out and smoke to keep the smell off my normal jacket and shirt.

• Like 6

I'm embarrassed to say this but I didn't go to any lengths to hide my smoking. It wasn't until I quit and got my sense of smell back that I realized just how much I must have reeked ?

• Like 7

I did nothing... well not completely true... I had an agreement with my dad that he wouldn't nag me about my smoking if he didn't see it... so if my dad was around I would make sure I smoked out of his eye sight, so behind the shed, or down the sideway... but that was it... I would use that cleaning gel hand wash after smoking but that was it and it was more because I found that i didn't tend to get yellow fingers if I did that and I hated the yellow finger look... oh, if I was sewing or crocheting or knitting I would always wash then alcohol wash my hands after a smoke and usually smoke in a smoking jacket because I would hate something I made to stink. Only ever smoked outside.

• Like 5

Those that remember me— I was a naive closet/secret smoker.  I had a ritual that certainly masked any trace of the filth. Right?  I smoked in open air if possible. I doused myself in Febreeze.  I sprinkled baby powder in my hair & on my face. I applied a lightly scented lotion to my arms. I had an oversized smoking shirt in my car...toss it on over my clothes...At some point I donned a smoking glove.  

I existed like a anxious drug addict.

The noteable difference between me & “that junkie”...?

My poison was legal. 

It still is. 

Edited by Lust4Life
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

When at work, would wash hands and pop a few of those Listerine pocketpacks in my mouth...ooh, those were strong! In my office smokers were harassed about putting coat in the communal coat closet....I had a bottle of febreeze in my desk drawer to use on my clothes/coat and would just hang my coat on my own coat rack. Even though I loved a French manicure, smoking would ruin the color so I had to stop getting them and would only get a single dark color....ugh...the things we put up with. For some reason, smoke always ended up in my hair...so always walked around building a few times afterward to try and get the stench to dissipate. Not sure how successful I was but no one ever commented about it, to me anyway! 

image.png.ebf2e296d3971476e770904aaf8198c2.png

Edited by Rozuki
  • Like 5

14 hours ago, Rozuki said:

When at work, would wash hands and pop a few of those Listerine pocketpacks in my mouth...ooh, those were strong! In my office smokers were harassed about putting coat in the communal coat closet....I had a bottle of febreeze in my desk drawer to use on my clothes/coat and would just hang my coat on my own coat rack. Even though I loved a French manicure, smoking would ruin the color so I had to stop getting them and would only get a single dark color....ugh...the things we put up with. For some reason, smoke always ended up in my hair...so always walked around building a few times afterward to try and get the stench to dissipate. Not sure how successful I was but no one ever commented about it, to me anyway! 

image.png.ebf2e296d3971476e770904aaf8198c2.png

I remember those, used to use those too.   I haven't seem then around lately.   I don't know if it's because I'm not looking for them or they're not sold anymore.

• Like 1

Whether you tried to cover it up or not, whether you think you didn't smell or not.   I can definitely say that YES you did smell.   Now that I've quit you can smell the odor even if you douse yourself in perfume/febreeze etc.  I can tell a smoker now whether they just smoked 2 minutes ago or an hour ago.   And if you smoked in your house/car,  OF COURSE it stinks.  You can have solid air fresheners in every room, have plug-in air fresheners periodically spraying the air all to no avail.

Of course most people are not going to say anything about it.   Why start an argument with a friend or stranger.

Edited by Wayne045
  • Like 4

I always wore a latex glove on my smoking hand. I’m a beautician so work on people’s faces. I couldn’t have smelly fingers ? I always smoked out in fresh air, and sprayed myself often with body spray and that went in my hair too ...and lots of mints. I always used to turn away. From my clients to speak to them, just in case they smelt it on my breath.... it was a nightmare and I bet some knew anyway ?

• Like 5

One thing I notice though is that smokers who are otherwise clean tend to not smell as strong as smokers who are generally gross.

By "generally gross" I mean someone who drives around in a rape van, doesn't look like they have shaved/bathed/combed their hair this month, missing half their teeth, etc.

So if you are the clean type, you probably didn't smell as nasty as you imagine.

Well like these guys, you KNOW they stink of stale Marlboros and probably have bottles of chew spit laying around.

hillbillies.jpg

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jetblack said:

One thing I notice though is that smokers who are otherwise clean tend to not smell as strong as smokers who are generally gross.

By "generally gross" I mean someone who drives around in a rape van, doesn't look like they have shaved/bathed/combed their hair this month, missing half their teeth, etc.

So if you are the clean type, you probably didn't smell as nasty as you imagine.

Well like these guys, you KNOW they stink of stale Marlboros and probably have bottles of chew spit laying around.

hillbillies.jpg

You mean a van like this? image.png.ff779114988c5c5b82621e0c2dec7a3e.png

The only time i was hiding smoking was a blown quit attempt, but they all knew. I know a few that that did and used a ton of cologne. At one time i smoked inside but i had to stop as my eyes would itch from the lingering smoke(and im sure my clothes had the smell stuck to it but i didnt notice). A non smoker can smell the smoke, i smell it now. Its not foul like a homeless person but its like cigg smoke

• Like 4

On 8/26/2018 at 11:40 AM, Wayne045 said:

I remember those, used to use those too.   I haven't seem then around lately.   I don't know if it's because I'm not looking for them or they're not sold anymore.

I LOVE these and get them at CVS by the three pack lol

• Like 1

I was oblivious to the smell of cigarette smoke.  I had become accustomed to the smell so I mistakenly assumed there was no smell.

I've read other quiiters talking about a heightened sense of smell since quitting: food, flowers, etc.  I smell those things the same as I did when I was smoking.  Cigarette smoke on the other hand...I'm like a bloodhound now when it comes to smelling cigarettes.  I can smell a smoker when they walk in the room now.  Walked out of a restaurant the other night, a guy that worked in the kitchen was around the corner smoking one...smelled it as soon as I opened the door.

Doesn't affect me one way or the other.  Certainly doesn't make me want to smoke.  The ability to smell cigarette smoke from distance is just a weird and rather useless skill I picked up after quitting smoking.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Boo said:

I was oblivious to the smell of cigarette smoke.  I had become accustomed to the smell so I mistakenly assumed there was no smell.

I've read other quiiters talking about a heightened sense of smell since quitting: food, flowers, etc.  I smell those things the same as I did when I was smoking.  Cigarette smoke on the other hand...I'm like a bloodhound now when it comes to smelling cigarettes.  I can smell a smoker when they walk in the room now.  Walked out of a restaurant the other night, a guy that worked in the kitchen was around the corner smoking one...smelled it as soon as I opened the door.

Doesn't affect me one way or the other.  Certainly doesn't make me want to smoke.  The ability to smell cigarette smoke from distance is just a weird and rather useless skill I picked up after quitting smoking.

The smell of the cigg to me is like when i smell someone burning one (pot), i can pick up right away .

• Like 1

I sucked on mint candies thinking - stupidly - they'd hide the smell in my breath. Did it only with my parents who knew I smoked but didn't approve, so we were keeping on appearances.

Only after quitting I realized how horribly does a smoker's body smell. I thought I smelled like fresh smoke but I were much more disgusting ?

• Like 3

I pretty much new there was no hiding it. I was an addicted smoker and made no excuses for my behaviour. I kind of felt that if someone else had to smell it then it was too bad since if society doesn’t like it then cigarettes shouldn’t be freely available in every second or third shop. 

• Like 1