Hi everyone. New member here.

cserpico

Just introducing myself. I am quitting both smoking and alcohol at the same time. The wife is quitting smoking too, and all the while we have a hormonal 12 year old boy and a teething 4 month old baby. 
lol This will be challenging to say the least.

• Like 8

Welcome aboard cserpico and congratulations to you and your wife on making one of the most important decisions of your life !

Please avail yourself to all the information about quitting smoking here on the site.

You may find these 10 Ways To Use This Board Effectively  will help you and your wife immeasurably.

Please, post often and tell us how you are feeling.  

This will not only help you but, help others wanting to quit.

Don't forget to have FUN and reward yourselves often,

there is a lot going on in your house !

The temporary discomfort will soon be over

and a life of freedom awaits.

S

• Like 1

Just introducing myself. I am quitting both smoking and alcohol at the same time. The wife is quitting smoking too, and all the while we have a hormonal 12 year old boy and a teething 4 month old baby. 

Yes, no doubt it will be challenging, but you can do it!  Just make up your mind that there is no circumstance in which it is okay to have even one puff.  Smoking does not help anything, except for relieving your withdrawal symptoms. Your 12 year old will be relieved you have given up this deadly habit, and your 4 month old will never remember stinky, smoking Mommy and Daddy.  Do this for yourself and your family...you all deserve it!!

Welcome aboard...congrats to you both..brilliant decision.. Quitting smoking will benieft you both and your family in so many ways you carnt imagine...so..

Take a seat in first class..buckle up...the ride may get a bit bumpy along the way..so be prepared...

Knowledge...this is the way you fight this beast..the more you learn about this horrible killing addiction..the better you fight..so read ,read ,read...

Smoking is not on the table ..no matter what...this one sentence helped me so much..it helped my brain..get it..

Stay close to the board ,post alot,..play the games..take the daily pledge...the miracle will happen...

This 52 year smoker promises you ..it will...x

Welcome to the QT..

You (and your wife) have made one of the best descisions of your life!

We are all ex-smokers here, willing to give any advice we can so you can succeed.

The only way to quit smoking, is......to just quit smoking! There is never a good enough excuse to light up.

Visit this forum daily and keep in touch....we all like to hear how your doing...

Csperpico,

Y'all are going to need to keep your blood sugar up today and for a few days

while nicotine leaves your body Forever.

Be sure to have fruit and fruit juices on hand which will help you.

Watch caffeine levels and adjust accordingly, 

nicotine doubles the rate at which the body depletes caffeine.

Hold your resolve and commit to Not One Puff Ever (for today).

You are giving the best gift to yourselves and your family.

Let us know how it goes,

S

p.s. along with learning about your addiction, there are lots of games here to distract yourselves while you break through to freedom.

edited to add: this great thread of our antedoctal evidence about  Your First Days Nicotine Free

Edited by Sazerac

Welcome aboard Christoff.  You and your wife have made a great decision to free yourself from cigarettes.  The process is simple and the benefits are many.  Enjoy the ride.

PHEW!  So happy to hear there isn't a menopausal mother-in-law living in the guest room and midlife crisis father who's taken up residence the basement!  :P

Congrats and Welcome!  You'll be so glad you quit and that's a 100% guarantee.  There will be challenging times in the beginning but just know without a doubt that you're done done.  Absolutely come in and post in the SOS if it gets rough....someone will be with you asap.  So glad you found this place!

• Like 1

Thank you so much everyone for the advice and the warm welcome. To be honest, we both slipped up sadly. There is just so much stress right now. We're in the process of buying a new house and got so much other crap going on constantly. Not a good excuse I know. 
We are both going to get right back on that horse though. 

• Like 1

Hello cserpico,

Your honesty is welcomed.

What is your new quit date ?

One of the big nasty lies about smoking is that it relieves stress.

Take a few moments and watch this video to understand the connection between stress and nicotine from our friend, Joel Spitzer.

• Like 2

Allen Carr... the easy way to stop smoking ...is a must read....he has help millions...myself included..

You can read it on line...a.s.a.p

Smoke and read...then come back here...ready to quit them forever...

Read ..a tale of two husbands here...which husband ..do you choose to be ?

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Welcome to QT and congratulations on you and your wife's decision to give up the cancer sticks!  Speaking from experience, quitting smoking is a walk in the park compared to 12 year old's and teething babies.  :)  Don't be fooled into thinking that smoking helps you deal with daily stresses and challenges because it does not; it adds to it as the nicotine increases your heart rate, raises your blood pressure and causes adrenaline to flood your nervous system.  It's impossible that is has any kind of calming effect.

I Smoke Because I Like Smoking

Video discusses how people who often say the smoke because they like smoking can come to realize that they really smoke because they don't like not smoking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCkt_ajgTQE

Keeping Cigarettes To Deal With Stress

Video explains the importance of getting rid of your stashes of cigarettes when you quit smoking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymwuG_f_tGY&index=19&list=PL0F23FAFB942E402A