Wrecked my Jeep in a minor accident...

joe

First, I want to say, that there were no injuries.... Everyone is fine...

A guy runs a red light and I attempt to avoid him, but clipped the rear quarter panel of his car....not a lot of damage, but since my Jeep is old (1997) , the insurance company is going to total it... Which kinda pisses me off, because we bought it new in the fall of '96 and my wife drove it almost 10 years before we replaced it....it is/was the most dependable vehicle I have ever owned. After the wife got her new car, my daughter used the jeep as transportation while she was in college.After she graduated and got her "big girl job" I re-acquired the Jeep andhavebeen driving it as a DD ever since...

Since we bought it new, I am fully aware of how it was taken care of...it ran perfect, with no issues on the body...paint was shiney with no rust and the interior was perfect.....but...it IS over 15 years old with 225000 miles on it, so the insurance company doesn't want to give me much for it.....so...I guess I am going to be car shopping in the ear future.....

My youngest daughter says that maybe it was a good thing, otherwise I might not have EVER got rid of the old Jeep..( the girls nicknamed it "Tank")... She may be right, but I liked that old Jeep....lol...

What a major bummer!  I'm sorry.  But I'm glad to hear no one was hurt.  I got hit by an older model Wrangler...talk about a solid chunk of metal, sheesh.  My plastic foreign car was shredded and they got a scratch.

I hope you can have fun shopping and find a great next car.

Aww that's a shame, although at least no one was hurt, but I can understand how you must feel. She did the job, was reliable and you trusted her to get you from A to B...I would feel just the same as you, no doubt about it. Just glad that you are all ok.

Awww such a shame, glad everyone is fine!! Insurance is a good thing but they just look at the item as ballpark figures. But you can never put a price on something that is loved, cherish and has all those memories. Gutted for you, hope you find a car for your new memories x

• Like 1

Glad everyone is OK Joe!

Obviously I do not have any idea how things work overt here, but can't you just take the insurance money and put that towards the Jeep repairs, or would that leave you too much out of pocket?

Glad everyone is OK Joe!

Obviously I do not have any idea how things work overt here, but can't you just take the insurance money and put that towards the Jeep repairs, or would that leave you too much out of pocket?

Thanks everyone. It could not have happened at a worse time.... Also the other guys insurance adjuster is being a total pain in the @ss.... It's been 3 days, and I have only heard from them once, and that was after I initiated he contact.... I can't even get them to authorize a rental.... But...that's what dealing with insurance is.....

It works similar... How-ever, if I want to keep the jeep and do the repairs myself, AND NOT end up with a salvage title, the settlement I'll receive will be considerable less, which would then involve too much out of pocket money to make good sense....

Another Jeep is a possibility... A Mustang would be great, but too impractical for a daily drive (all year) in Ohio...I am leaning ta wards a work van for now. Since I retired from my real job, I have gone back to my old business on a much scaled back schedule, and a van would be more practical now.(I am an electrician).... I don't know though....there is no hurry, so I think it will wait until after the new year to decide......

Mustang will hold a screw driver, cutters and a roll of tape. All you need.

Ford F-150 sounds right for your snow belt

I am leaning towards the F-150... I would most likely go for the extended cab.... Your right that I don't really need a lot of (large) tools, so most of what I take with me on a regular basis would fit in the "back seat" and any time I need to drag along the larger stuff, it can go in the bed....before the Jeep got wrecked, I was already pretty serious about a new (to me) truck....but the prices!...there is a huge price gap...anything less than $15,000 has had the wheels run off it already...usually 150,000+ miles...jump up to something with good miles, and you start going well north of $20 to $25,000..... Decisions .... Decisions....

Can't go wrong with a Ford!

We have a few F150's at work here with over 200,000 miles on them and running and looking good!

Don't go overboard buying the biggest baddest truck you can find, If its for work you should be able to find one for around $20K.

My 2011 F150 extend cab 4X4 6 cylinder does everything I need it to do, Hauled over 2500lbs of cement bags with power left over. 

But I miss my CJ5!