Pickle in the Christmas tree??

joe

Does anyone else out here hide a "pickle" in the Christmas tree?

I think where I am at about 1/2 the people have heard of it, and the other 1/2 hasnt...so I was wondering if it is more of a "regional" thing, or not.

I was first told it was an old German tradition...which I had no reason to doubt..My great grandparents on my mothers side came over on the boat from Germany, and I figured thats where our family picked it up...To further reinforce that theory, My son-in-laws family ..(last name Golinghorst ) also did that on Christmas morning..(Obviously hes of German descent  :P  ).

How-ever, when I directed someone to google it to explain it, I was informed that though many say the tradition is from Germany..it more than likely originated in the States...

so......

Has anyone else heard of it?..does anyone else hide a pickle in the tree  :blink: ?

(My youngest daughter has "won" the last 3 years..I think there is a bounty out on her this year...lol...after last year,I need to anchor the tree down so they didnt knock it over :P ..It got a bit crazy..lol ..They have to be careful because the pickle is hand blown glass...Mom would not be happy if they broke it..lol 

here is a Wikipedia definition of it  

here are a few pics of Kristin with her winnings and her sisters showing how happy they are for her  :P

1520623_10202950807517270_1420813509_n.j

377956_581563001859983_849823054_n.jpg?o

and with that years "prize" .....(my wife has a "thing" for snowmen)

165055_581563421859941_1731901555_n.jpg?

• Like 4

This is an adorable tradition made even more so by your pretty ladies.

Damien brought home a paper pickle ornament back when he was in kindergarten that is in the tree somewhere. I think that I may buy a special present and have the kids search for the pickle this year. 

• Like 2

I'm German and my late Grandmother came over to the states after WWII and I never heard of this!  My 10 year old boy loves pickles and perhaps I may start a new tradition this year and hide a pickle in the tree.  :)

Beautiful young ladies, Joe.  Mine are 5 and 9 but I am not looking forward to when they want to start dating.  I cried for the entire ceremony when my youngest (now 5) graduated from daycare.  I cried when she got on the school bus for her first day of Kindergarten.  When I see a boy start hanging around, I won't be cryin' no more I can tell you that! lol  My wife and I don't quit see eye to eye on this issue and I have a feeling that there will be somewhat of a compromise where I basically don't get much of a say.  ;)

Oh well, that's a long way off.  Now to find a pickle and on Christmas morning I'm going to break the news about the new tradition.  :)

They already think I'm nuts now I'll just have to convince them that there really is a pickle in the tree. lol

• Like 3

i couldn't help but laugh!  Hide the pickle...ha ha

My mom was born and raised in Germany and she never mentioned it.  Funny how traditions do start because in my family on Easter, we have brunch instead of dinner...and we have competitions with our eggs....each one taking turns cracking and the one whos egg survived the longest without cracking was the winner.  I always thought it was a german tradition until I was an adult and learned it was just something we did in our family.  So then i did it with  my kids and now my kids more than likely will continue...etc.

• Like 1

Yes we do but the pickle doesn't go on the tree until Christmas eve night once everyone is sleeping. Whoever finds it in the morning gets and extra present.

Lmao... I am not shocked at how quickly this thread went down in flames.

Lol..yep this had all the makings for a post to head south... Lol....

But.. It does kinda verify to me that it is more regional than wide spread...

I'm in Ohio... My son-in-laws family is in Iowa ..and Jess is in Wisconsin....

And yes Jess... That's how we do it also... Wait until the night before to hide it. Using a (green) glass ornimate makes it almost impossible to find.

• Like 1

Wow what a cool idea, love it, I never heard of it before but I'm going to do it on Xmas day after dinner, no idea were I can buy a pickle like that, is there anything you could use instead???

Your girls a Lil stunners xxx