Quitting tonight

terrigal

Hi all...I'm terrigal.

I have a mental 'injury'...ptsd.  I find myself falling into cigarrettes on the hard days, when trigger, angry, or terrified.

I've never been big smoker, in fact I don't have an addictive personality.  But I'd like to get rid of it altogether, as I will be 50 soon and I hate the way they make me feel.

I'd like support........my first goal is 72 hours.  I'm pretty isolated and do my best when staying away from humans, so it shouldn't be too rough, although in the morning with coffee is tough.

My plan is to chew on fresh herb twigs.

When I was younger I would substitute walking........but I have fibro and cfs, so that's kind of out now.

Back in 72 to celebrate!  I also plan on juicing a lot.

It's hard, because with ptsd and chronic pain, I sort of want to die.  Never understood people wanting to live to be a hundred.  This life has been utter hell.......but I suppose since I can't kill myself, I'd rather feel better in my lungs........

• Like 5

Hi Terrigal and welcome to quit train!

I wish you all the best with your quit :)

You will find lots of support here and meet many lovely people who will offer you advice to help with your quit.

I am sorry to hear that life hasn't been that great for you. Life will be much better for you with out nicotine addiction.

:)

• Like 1

Good for you!! 

I used to have similar thoughts, about not wanting to live to a hundred.

Then I got really bad pneumonia and I realized that I may not want to live forever, but I sure as hell don't want to die drowning on my own lungs. 

You have found a great support system here. 

• Like 5

That sounds like a tough place you're in.  For what it's worth I'm sorry you have to face all that daily. I really hope you are getting support? 

Quitting will make you feel physically better, it definitely will :)  It might help in other areas too, a lot of us report to higher self esteem and self worth, which are unexpected benefits of quitting that I never knew may come.

Welcome. xx

• Like 2

Hi Terrigal

Welcome Aboard. Sounds like you are having quite a time of it.

Lots of juice, sipping water, chewing a twig - all good stuff. It sounds to me that you are a fighter - so you can absolutely do this.

Commitment. Whatever happens, DONT put things in your mouth and set fire to them. Job done.

Keep us posted!

• Like 1

Hi Terrigal, glad you have found this place, and nice to have you here!

You certainly have the right idea with just concentrating on short-term goals, like 72 hours! 

Look forward to seeing you after the 72 hour mark, but if you need us before, we are here!

Welcome aboard terrigal,

Congrats on your decision to quit......

Read all you can here....education is the key ....learn all about this addiction....

And then we have the fun stuff.....look at the cats and dogs.....it help keep you busy....

Take it steady hour by hour...you can do it.....

Hi all...I'm terrigal.

I have a mental 'injury'...ptsd.  I find myself falling into cigarrettes on the hard days, when trigger, angry, or terrified.

I've never been big smoker, in fact I don't have an addictive personality.  But I'd like to get rid of it altogether, as I will be 50 soon and I hate the way they make me feel.

I'd like support........my first goal is 72 hours.  I'm pretty isolated and do my best when staying away from humans, so it shouldn't be too rough, although in the morning with coffee is tough.

My plan is to chew on fresh herb twigs.

When I was younger I would substitute walking........but I have fibro and cfs, so that's kind of out now.

Back in 72 to celebrate!  I also plan on juicing a lot.

It's hard, because with ptsd and chronic pain, I sort of want to die.  Never understood people wanting to live to be a hundred.  This life has been utter hell.......but I suppose since I can't kill myself, I'd rather feel better in my lungs........

Welcome, Terrigal.

Everybody here has great information for you.  Not only the information and videos on the board

but, our personal information, our collective experience,  and our unmitigated JOY in beating our addiction to nicotine.

Please educate yourself about nicotine addiction and commit to NOPE (Not One Puff Ever)

this will insure a successful quit.

We are here to help you through any rough spots

so, please post an SOS if you need and post as many SOS's as you need to help you through.

Post everywhere on the board...games and discussions (you never know who you will help with your experience).

We know it can be tough.

but,

all of us know it can be done and the benefits are wide reaching.

So glad you found us,

Love,

S

• Like 2

Welcome aboard - this is a great place to go for this journey - incredible people from all walks of life with experiences that can only be found in the pages of real life events - some good, some bad, some frightening and others simply extremely funny.  I endured EMDR therapy a few years back so I know of some of your struggles and or triggers -I wouldn't wish upon anyone - I did find that not smoking actually helped to calm my mind and made some things even easier. Marti is 100 % right with regards to self-esteem etc.. I never thought I ever had low self-esteem at all but after taking part of a post a while back I realized that hiding in the shadows so no one would see me smoking and the feelings of being an outcast for smoking where not exactly healthy to have - so yes it does more then help you feel physically better - Good luck on your journey -stay close to the board and take it minute by minute, hour by hour then day by day etc..

Hiya and congrats on deciding to quit, best thing you could do and If you suffer with the morning stiffness/pain caused from fibro, you'll be surprised how much more energy you'll have now, I've also got fibro among other stuff, I've definitely improved in the mornings, before quitting my legs would barely work with the pain and weakness and I'd cry having to go up and down the stairs because of the pain but it really does minimise alot of morning problems.

I replaced my morning smoke with a shower instead and it gave me soo much more energy, loved smelling yummy, baths with candles to relax, meditate, walking and swimming really help fibro and when I would crave after a big meal I'd eat some mints and get out for a little walk, it really helped, pistachio nuts really helped me in the evenings, the ones in the shell so it would take a minute to get it out, make sure and treat yourself everyday at the start, I'd go to Costa Coffee or Starbucks etc and have a cuppa and a cake some mornings and that really helped me through it,

You can and you will do this, your life is only getting started,

Here if you need anything,

Sue xx

• Like 3

Hi Terrigal, 

How are you feeling today ?

I thought it was interesting and encouraging what SueBeDO had to say, especially about quitting smoking and fibro.

Hiya and congrats on deciding to quit, best thing you could do and If you suffer with the morning stiffness/pain caused from fibro, you'll be surprised how much more energy you'll have now, I've also got fibro among other stuff, I've definitely improved in the mornings, before quitting my legs would barely work with the pain and weakness and I'd cry having to go up and down the stairs because of the pain but it really does minimise alot of morning problems.
I replaced my morning smoke with a shower instead and it gave me soo much more energy, loved smelling yummy, baths with candles to relax, meditate, walking and swimming really help fibro and when I would crave after a big meal I'd eat some mints and get out for a little walk, it really helped, pistachio nuts really helped me in the evenings, the ones in the shell so it would take a minute to get it out, make sure and treat yourself everyday at the start, I'd go to Costa Coffee or Starbucks etc and have a cuppa and a cake some mornings and that really helped me through it,
You can and you will do this, your life is only getting started,
Here if you need anything,
Sue xx

• Like 1

I KNOW chronic pain and ptsd. Still quit, maybe with help of patches and the board and I'm not saying it will be piece of cake, but you can do this. Cigarettes do nothing for you when your in emotional pain or having flashbacks. Go for it!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...