6 Months Down... What's Next?

DenaliBlues

It was my 6-month anniversary this week, so it seems like a good time to take stock of what it’s like at this stage of my quitting journey. I still have to fight hard to stay quit, but I have a growing appreciation for the end results. I have freedom. I breathe better. I smell better. (At least when I bathe 😉 ) Smoking is not an active conflict with my partner. I have reduced the odds of a preventable disease making me a burden to others. I have more money in my pocket. All good. All expected.

I’m also learning some things I didn't expect. The addiction created all kinds of illusions and blind spots in my brain. Now that I’ve quit, I can see some things more clearly. Like…

… As a smoker, I could not fully comprehend how deeply in thrall I was to nicotine. I knew that smoking regulated how I spent my time and money. But I had no clue how unhappy it was making me, and how deeply it was undercutting my self-regard. I now see how soul-sucking the constant tension of loving/hating smoking was. I’m surprised that intensity of cognitive dissonance didn’t cause a stroke all by itself. No more!

… Being a smoker weirdly paralyzed my capacity for self-care. I had a terrible resistance to exercise, seeing doctors, taking time off, etc. I was basically a smoking + working + smoking + working machine. I knew that I was stuck in that rut, but I didn’t realize that smoking was the glue. Now that I’ve quit, I am incrementally beginning to take care of myself in other ways. Seeing doctors, going to bed at a decent hour, staying active and speaking up for what I need are getting a smidge easier.  

… As a smoker, I was very isolated. I was not a secret smoker, but it was a way that I withdrew from others and put up walls. This Quit Train community broke through those walls. I get and give support from people who understand what quitting is like. I learn so much when you share your experiences. I get distraction from the desire to smoke. You all are hilarious, I often chuckle, and sometimes I howl out loud. Who knew I had people, a tribe?! I didn’t before, but I do now. I treasure all you generous, quirky, fallible, funny, perplexing, lovely humans in this community.

...In my early days after I stopped smoking, I thought that quitting was about NOT doing something (i.e. smoking). Turns out that was backwards. My experience now is that quitting smoking is very much about DOING something: recovering from addiction. Protecting my quit takes active effort. It's like part of my brain is still  programmed to be a smoker and I have to re-load my quit into active memory a bunch of times each day.     

Day 180 is definitely easier than day 18. I must confess, though, that some moments are still a major struggle. I do hope it gets easier. What lies ahead? If anyone has perspectives on what they experienced in months 6-12, I'd love to hear them!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I LOVE this post @DenaliBlues, you've done so well these last six months and your contributions are going to help so many, especially this one :) As far as months 6-12, it's more of doing the same thing you've been doing, getting past most of the craves your first year quit goes through. That's why it still seems a struggle at times. But with each crave conquered the stronger your quit grows and the weaker and easier it'll be the next time. :) 

• Like 7

Great post @DenaliBlues

As Jill said, months 6-12 is a lot of the same thing you have been doing.  Yes, it does get easier and you definitely see that.  Still, as a longtime smoker,  each season might bring with it certain triggers that other seasons might not.  Stay vigilant and adhere to NOPE and you'll be fine.

• Like 7

What a great honest post @DenaliBlues....we can read and see just how far you have come ...

Yes the next six months is carrying on doing much of the same thing ....but you will feel stronger and stronger .

By the time you Reach your Lido Party ..the days of struggling will hopefully be few ...

I Remember I was about 6 months in ,and some guy stopped me on the street and asked if I had a light ...

holding a cigarette ..I still remember that loud moment when I said calmly ...

No sorry I don't smoke ...

I came to the forum bragging my head off....

I'm always say ..those lucky quitters who find themselves here are blessed ...

This place is Magic ...you belong here ...👍😁🐸

• Like 7

Way to go Denaliblues, It's great to see that you are truly taking stock in your progress thus far. Plus, being honest with yourself about not missing anything that remotely has to do with that nasty habit. Keep the faith because you are worth it.

• Like 7

10 hours ago, DenaliBlues said:

Being a smoker weirdly paralyzed my capacity for self-care. I had a terrible resistance to exercise, seeing doctors, taking time off, etc. I was basically a smoking + working + smoking + working machine. I knew that I was stuck in that rut, but I didn’t realize that smoking was the glue. Now that I’ve quit, I am incrementally beginning to take care of myself in other ways. Seeing doctors, going to bed at a decent hour, staying active and speaking up for what I need are getting a smidge easier.  

Boom!  Whoop! There it is…!!! 

• Like 7

On 8/14/2022 at 9:45 AM, DenaliBlues said:

… Being a smoker weirdly paralyzed my capacity for self-care. I had a terrible resistance to exercise, seeing doctors, taking time off, etc. I was basically a smoking + working + smoking + working machine. I knew that I was stuck in that rut, but I didn’t realize that smoking was the glue. Now that I’ve quit, I am incrementally beginning to take care of myself in other ways. Seeing doctors, going to bed at a decent hour, staying active and speaking up for what I need are getting a smidge easier.  

I love seeing new quitters experience the ripple effect first-hand.  Quitting smoking can have far more impact on our lives than we ever expected.

Strength begets strength.  Confidence begets confidence...and so on.

Congratulations Denali.  You're doing great.

• Like 5

I ❤️ your post @DenaliBlues
Everyone here has spoken the truth. Months 6-12 are basically the same except that the episodes are further apart. What I remember most about months 6-12 is just like when you realized that smoking a cigarette was NOT your first thought of the day, you will realize that an inordinate amount of time has passed since you’d had ANY thought of you smoking at all. First, days and then weeks! What you do with all that freed up junkie thinking time can be as amazing as you really are! Your first year anniversary will be here before you know it! 😎

• Like 7

I'll echo everyone else's comments by saying I also Love your post. It shows a real understanding of things. Being a smoker vs a quitter. The things you mentioned I believe will carry you through to your forever quit. Yes, things will continue to get easier for you. I expect you have realized it's a very slow process but it IS happening and will continue to do so. You're getting to the point where maintenance of your quit is key - just don't do anything silly on a whim and you'll be fine. You now know, smoking never solves anything so would we even entertain lighting up again?

I think I was at about 7 months when I just suddenly, out of the blue, had this epiphany about the whole smoking vs quitting thing when I started to feel sorry for others I saw smoking and glad about the fact I had quit and wasn't chained to my addiction any longer. That sort of moment will come to you as well I believe and in the very near future, if it hasn't already.

I'm 5 years in now and I'll admit, I have the occasional thought of ...."wouldn't a smoke go nice about now." Then I wonder; where'd that come from lol. Remnants of smoky memories I suppose but they are just fleeting thoughts; nothing more.

• Like 8