Our Gardens

Sazerac

1 hour ago, reciprocity said:

Ummm ..... forgot about this little romp I was havin with y'all :)

I know they are flowers and yes, the wife plants them and does a great job too. I would never mow them down and if I did, the wife would have me stones in a noose so ..............not to worry. Besides, they died off on their own after a couple of weeks.

Aaawwww.. I thought we were friends then you killed the fantabulous purple irises .. and I thought our friendship had died too,  now you say it was just a joke..  

What kinda sick person are you.. I can't grow irises no matter what I do and you taunt me with is murder well... now I know our friendship is dead....!!!!! ???

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, notsmokinjo said:

What do you want to know? If noone else answers I will ask my family viticulturists.

I'm in the early stages now, so I don't even know what specific questions I'm looking for answers to.  I'll know a lot more after I test the soil and start preparing it in a way that, hopefully, will produce a good yield.

The University of Tennessee Agricultural Extension has a lot of great resources online and I ordered a book last night that is considered the preeminent source for all things muscadine.  So with my obsessive personality in full swing, I'm learning more about grapes with each passing day.

Thanks for the offer.  It's good to have a link to viticulturists.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Wee fluffy me said:

Aaawwww.. I thought we were friends then you killed the fantabulous purple irises .. and I thought our friendship had died too,  now you say it was just a joke..  

What kinda sick person are you.. I can't grow irises no matter what I do and you taunt me with is murder well... now I know our friendship is dead....!!!!! ???

Hey Fluffy .... I don't grow them, the wife does. Pretty sure she just sticks bulbs in the ground sometime in the fall (like maybe October or early Nov.) then they just grow leaves then bloom in the spring. There's no fertilizer or anything else involved.  Maybe it's just the difference in climate? What do I know about flowers ? I do get wild violets in my lawn though and once you got 'em; they're never going away. Very hard to eradicate those once they take hold.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

This morning, a Caterpillar leaning backwards on a Gardenia stem and will hang from its tail to become a chrysalis.

Not sure yet of the butterfly it will become, right now it is eating itself into a coma.

495524263_catapillar18002.thumb.JPG.08c4ecc0a7a5d224d46ed590f66a13f9.JPG 

Edited by Sazerac
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This wisteria was given to me by a student on my bus, as a gift of thanks.  I have had it for 15 years now and look forward to it blooming every year.  My husband has had to build two different trellises for it because the vine has become so big.

Just thought I would share - bopping around the site trying to keep my mind off that crave!

260392_10200788976782316_1978563855_n.jpg

• Like 5

• 9 months later...

Okay, I am pretty proud of my pots this year.  I plant them all myself.  I'll even give you a full frontal view because I perfectly coiffure the bushes, just finished mulching and straightening my bricks.  It is amazing how much more time you have when you don't have to keep stopping for a smoke!

thumbnail_20190627_194622.jpg

thumbnail_20190627_194651.jpg

thumbnail_20190627_194710.jpg

thumbnail_20190627_194732.jpg

• Like 4