I can't do it!

Donotwannasmoke

Hi,

Struggling big time, only on day 5 - been on a high all week thinking/feeling like a non-smoker then bang!

This evening didn't quite go to plan (understatement) now just desperate to open the back door and smoke, smoke, smoke!

I know it won't change the evening but I'm so upset (the husband has just had one, doesn't help!)

Had a fantastic gym induction this morning, felt great, now I feel almost in pain, how stupid is that!?

Tina

Hi Tina, I know how you feel, I've been there myself! But you haven't smoked for 5 whole days, amazing! You have 0 nicotine in your system, and you don't want to have to start your quit all over again!

I promise, it is worth it to stay smoke free :)

• Like 1

Welcome to the QT Tina :)  

Stick with the QT and you will be just fine.  There is lots to do here to support your quit.  You want to take it one day at a time, don't worry about tomorrow.  Start each morning with the NOPE (Not One Puff Ever) pledge and build from there.  There is a lot of reading to do here, whenever you feel the urge to smoke come and read.  When you've done all the reading you can do, find the socializing forum, lots of distractions over there.  

tumblr_mub3yrR40U1seqneyo1_500.gif

• Like 2

you know it happens you are almost through what we call hell week, onto to heck week then it keeps getting better from there, it might take a while or be quick it is all individualistic. Drink lots of water, eat some candy, if you exercise do that, go for a walk if you can, breathe deeply in and out kind of like yoga breathing, rhythmically. Drink some juice. IN short keep yourself busy as you can you have got this and you are strong look at how far you have come so far!!!!  You got this!!!! and good job posting here also a big huge kudos to you!!!

hugs and such you will persevere and get through this 

• Like 1

No no no Tina you don't want one, it's that stupid addict rising and the brain wanting it's drug,

The best thing you can do now is keep busy busy and try to trick the brain with a mind set

Do something that takes you out of a possible smoking environment, long walk or run

Try breathing exercises

Eat a nice treat and nice cold glass of water

Watch the videos here

You have 5 fantastic days under your belt, you have to keep going and trust it will get easier

Keep posting and reading here

Welcome to the train, hold on tight we are right with you x

• Like 1

Hi Tina....you can do it...

Minute by minute ....read all you can here...watch all the videos....so much good stuff to help....

Read all the fun stuff too...it lightens your mood....

Keep busy.....do anything ...

You have done 5 days...this is brilliant....you would hate yourself if you smoked....

Stay close to the board...all the support you need is right here....post away.....

• Like 1

Yes you can do it !!!!

Your mind is just trying to fool you into making up an excuse to smoke. Don't let it. Dig deep and go for a walk or whatever it takes.

NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE !!!!!!!

• Like 1

You're already doing it - posting an SOS is already winning, so keep fighting!! You know you don't really wanna throw away your quit, so don't. This WILL happen more than once - you're still in "Hell Week" - but what you'll start to realize soon is that it doesn't really last very long, and all you have to do is just wait it out. Read here, read at whyquit.com, watch some Joel Spitzer videos on Youtube, and before you know it you'll be back to aces.

In fact, without knowing what the precipitating incident was, I'll bet it wasn't really as bad as you thought it was, and that it was your junkie lizard brain trying to trick you into feeding it. Get through today, and when you look back tomorrow, tell me if I was right.

FORWARD.

• Like 2

Feeling 'safe' in bed now, keep reading the messages, reminding myself why I quit, honestly didn't think I'd get through today so so pleased I came on here.

Working all day tomorrow so that'll be fine, just the evening to cope with, decided to go straight to the gym after work so that'll help.

Thanks again

• Like 5

o Tina,,,  

you have to do this- you,ll love it too,, 

I  found gum to help me a whole lot- keeps the jaw busy, you use your hands to "get it going" etc-  It really did help, I still do gum, not nearly as much

so I don't worry about having replaced one habit w/another etc-  beside, anything is better than smoking,, use powerful flavors,,,

Your smarter than the monster- it get easier every day,, please hang in there,,  you can do it-you will do it,,

RC

• Like 4

God damn 'junkie lizard brain' loved that!

I think it's my favourite meme. It's a real thing, too, that's how our brains evolved, in layers. Beneath the part of your brain that thinks consciously, and speaks in words, and calls itself "me", is an ancient brain that runs towards food, and away from danger, and seeks dopamine-producing activities, like sex and (sadly, by a remarkable biological coincidence) nicotine. When you touch a hot stove and yank your hand away before your conscious mind even registers pain, thank your lizard brain. 

But that's also what makes it hard to quit. It can't be spoken to, or reasoned with. It's a spoiled toddler off on a tantrum, and the only thing you can tell it is "NOPE"*!

*Not One Puff Ever

• Like 3

Bumble hit the nail on the head!!!

You CAME here!! so YOU'VE done it!!!!! We are supports... YOU are the controller! and you DID IT!!!!!

Your 1st post sounded JUST like me!!! LOL!! sitting pretty I thought, then BAM! anyway, it only lasted a short while, but hell's bell's the strength was OVERly painful, yes?

Like Collen said, each time you're craving, come here and be with 'like minded' people... not lecturers, or cocky ex-smokers, no way!!

We're ALL addicts in the same boat!

NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE!!!

• Like 2

Hey Tina - welcome :-). Sorry I'm late but I really wanted to say great job posting an SOS - and trust me you really can do it .... We are all living proof that quitting is possible :-). Enjoy your gym session - and that too will get better with smoke free lungs :-)

• Like 1

Gym sessions will be much better for sure!  You will not smell like smoke as you sweat and you will find your performance improving remarkably.  You won't feel like you're dying while you work out - - - you won't realize how badly you felt until you finally feel great...and you will feel great!

Morning,

Feeling pretty happy this morning, so pleased I came onto this site as I know that if I hadnt I would have had one. The support on here is better than any nrt!

My husband is supportive in many ways but not this one, he is a heavy smoker and if I'm smoking then it kinda gives him free reign to smoke (heavily). I don't say anything, he has to do it for himself, he did quit for 3 years after reading the Allen Carr book but sadly had that one puff at a bbq!

I'm looking forward to the gym later and spending the evening with my daughter and not hiding away from her in the garden!

Thanks, I can do this!

Tina

• Like 7

Hi Tina, Sorry I'm late to the party.

Pleased these guys were here to talk you down and that you feel amazing today, well earnt! Facing down a strong trigger takes some doing, but every time you do it has less power over you. You start to teach that part of your brain that we just don't do that anymore. 

great work on a 6 day quit! xx

• Like 2

Not with that attitude you can't.

"Whether you think you can, or think you can't... you're right." -Henry Ford

Easy Peasy

Good quote!! I engaged that quote as part of my quit and it's in my taglines below. 

• Like 1

Morning,

Feeling pretty happy this morning, so pleased I came onto this site as I know that if I hadnt I would have had one. The support on here is better than any nrt!

My husband is supportive in many ways but not this one, he is a heavy smoker and if I'm smoking then it kinda gives him free reign to smoke (heavily). I don't say anything, he has to do it for himself, he did quit for 3 years after reading the Allen Carr book but sadly had that one puff at a bbq!

I'm looking forward to the gym later and spending the evening with my daughter and not hiding away from her in the garden!

Thanks, I can do this!

Tina

OH NO!!! Your hubby must feel AWFUL!!! I can relate to this also! I too quit for well over a year, after reading Alan Carr's book... and was 'home and hosed'!! had even TRIED to smoke my friend's and thought yuk!!!

But then the "mental" thing (THE MAIN ADDICTION) hit like a tornado, and I wasn't following the "NOT ONE PUFF, EVER" rule, and bang!! that was it!!! sneakily, (yes, hiding) I managed to endure another 8 or so years (on and off) mostly on, the offs were no more than a few days, or couple of weeks.... easy to start, but MURDER to hang on to!! and HATING MYSELF for ever starting again!

I even believed that when I was "serious" I could do it... and of course, I could!  for a few days... but then the 'niggle' would return and the justifications POSSESSED me... (like the devil) and I'd start with "one or two with my coffee in the morning" etc etc ... I'm sure we've all been there!!

WELL DONE TINA!! I have a sneaky feeling that you're going strong and will SUCCEED!!!

Sorry if I've waffled... :(

• Like 1