Advice needed: NRT

natalie_3

Hi!

My name is Natalie, I´m new here, some of you know me already and have been very supportive.

My quit date is tomorrow but I´m still not sure about NRT (specially the patch). I´ve been searching, some people says it helps curb cravings and reduce withdrawal symptoms but others say it´s only a different way to continue the addiction. 

What´s your opinion? What´s your experience with NRT?

Thanks  :)

• Like 1

My experience is when I felt like a crutch would help, I used a crutch. One the patch, one chantix...both helped...but because I wanted to quit smoking. I ditched each of them within a week due to side effects but most people don't suffer the side effects.

The question I think is more, do you need something to "help you" or do you want to do it "yourself". People here have quit both ways, cold turkey and patch. What's your thoughts Natalie? x

• Like 3

Hi Natalie, I tried the patch a few years ago and found it really good, I used to rub it when I felt a crave, the only thing I lacked at that time was the actual willpower to see my quit through I made it to 8 weeks.  Remember that the patch will not work on its own you still need to want to quit and have will power too.  But hunny at the end of the day you need to quit with a way that suits you, what feels good and right, every one has a different opinion on what works and what doesn't work and that can mess your head up lol, stick to your quit day tomorrow, wake up a new person, a non smoker, and stay close, post often, be positive and commit to NOPE, you have nothing to fear, quitting is very doable.  Looking forward to sharing your journey with you xxx BTW i'm quitting again with Champix that's my NRT xxx

• Like 5

Hi Natalie, I tried the patch a few years ago and found it really good, I used to rub it when I felt a crave, the only thing I lacked at that time was the actual willpower to see my quit through I made it to 8 weeks.  Remember that the patch will not work on its own you still need to want to quit and have will power too.  But hunny at the end of the day you need to quit with a way that suits you, what feels good and right, every one has a different opinion on what works and what doesn't work and that can mess your head up lol, stick to your quit day tomorrow, wake up a new person, a non smoker, and stay close, post often, be positive and commit to NOPE, you have nothing to fear, quitting is very doable.  Looking forward to sharing your journey with you xxx BTW i'm quitting again with Champix that's my NRT xxx

Hi,

Jackie has given you wonderful advice here.....

What suits one....doesn't suit another.....

At the end of the day the determination has to come from you,

You might surprise yourself tomorrow.....

You can do it......your no different from us.....and we are doing it.....

See you tomorrow on the n.o.p.e thread.....it's our daily promise not to smoke that day....

• Like 2

Beautifully said.

Different strokes for different folks.  Do what you need... but make sure you quit.

• Like 1

What´s your opinion?

The Sarge opines: "Why quit twice?"

First, you'll have to quit the damned cigarettes.

Then, you'll have to quit the NRT that you are now addicted to.

It boggles the mind that this is somehow ... "easier" ...

<boggle>

Trust The Sarge when he says: Ya don't need 'em.

Ya don't need 'em.

Easy Peasy

• Like 3

As always, thanks for your answers. 

My experience is when I felt like a crutch would help, I used a crutch. One the patch, one chantix...both helped...but because I wanted to quit smoking. I ditched each of them within a week due to side effects but most people don't suffer the side effects.

The question I think is more, do you need something to "help you" or do you want to do it "yourself". People here have quit both ways, cold turkey and patch. What's your thoughts Natalie? x

I read the experience of Colleen and I was thinking it for a while, since I´m a bit panicked I´ll start with the patch. Once I feel safer I´ll try to ditch it as soon as possible. This is a huge lifestyle change!  :blink:

• Like 1

I used the patch. I still had to work at my quit alot by reading and posting here and other places and exercise and keeping busy and eating and laughing, etc. :) you can see what will work for you. Just start and take it day by day is my suggestion. Perhaps get a ticker too and write down why you want to quit and how it feels the first few days. I was just looking at what I wrote down the other day.,

When I chose my quit date I went and purchased the mini nicotine lozenges. I bought them as a back up just in case cold turkey was too rough for me.  My thought process was that using the lozenges was better than smoking. I ended up not using them at all because as bad as it was I was determined to get the nicotine out of my system all at once. 

If you are feeling insecure about cold turkey and want to have NRT around as a safety net (just in case) the gum or the lozenge isn't a bad idea. Just keep in mind that cold turkey is doable. 

• Like 2

I´ll use the patch as you said, as a safety net. Maybe it´s not that bad and I´m picturing worse than it is. I´m totally panicking because in a few hours...no cigarettes! :wacko:

The day before I quit was by far much worse than the day I quit. The anticipation scared the heck out of me.

But by the end of day 1, I was surprised and pleased that somehow I'd survived it. Truth be told it wasn't *that* bad. Wasn't great. but not as bad as I thought it would be.

We are here for you!

• Like 3

The day before I quit was by far much worse than the day I quit. The anticipation scared the heck out of me.

But by the end of day 1, I was surprised and pleased that somehow I'd survived it. Truth be told it wasn't *that* bad. Wasn't great. but not as bad as I thought it would be.

We are here for you!

f

Thanks Ava!

I hope it happens the same for me. I´m textbook smoker, with all the classics: I smoke with coffee, after meals, for stress relief, even when I´m bored. I really don´t know how tomorrow will be but I´ll keep you guys posted! 

Well...I had my morning coffee without problems but right now I really crave a cigarette!!!  :wacko:

Remember, a crave is not a command.  Real craves only last 3-5 minutes, and you can stand anything for that long.  Try deep breathing...or go for a brisk walk...this will pass.

• Like 1

Brilliant, do that. Some physical things you could do another time that I tried were clicking my fingers and switching from foot to foot...sounds silly, physical distractions really take the sting out of a crave and distract your brain. Way to pass a crave!!

• Like 1

Cold turkey. Just get it over with. Enjoy the craves They need to be done only once and each gets weaker. You get stronger with each one you beat.

Nicotine is nicotine. Got to stop it sometime. Why prolong it to be safe. Just do it

• Like 1

hey Nat yer doing good!!! :)  

tell us somethings you like to do, maybe we can help keep you busy that way,   for instance, do you like jigsaw puzzles? I'm not a big fan - takes to long- HOWEVER,   there's a site ( somewhere, I'll find again for you if you want) that i used to go to when i first quit, they have simple puzzles that take 5 to 10 mins to do,  it's free - nothing to down load... give us some ideas of your interest to keep you busy...  

• Like 2

hey Nat yer doing good!!! :)  

tell us somethings you like to do, maybe we can help keep you busy that way,   for instance, do you like jigsaw puzzles? I'm not a big fan - takes to long- HOWEVER,   there's a site ( somewhere, I'll find again for you if you want) that i used to go to when i first quit, they have simple puzzles that take 5 to 10 mins to do,  it's free - nothing to down load... give us some ideas of your interest to keep you busy...  

Great idea! I like arts in general, reading, drawing and crafts. Also games with words. Nothing to do with Math  :D like Sudokus. Maybe you have some good easy crafty ideas? (easy because my patience is not very good right now LOL) Or some games with words?

Cold turkey. Just get it over with. Enjoy the craves They need to be done only once and each gets weaker. You get stronger with each one you beat.

Nicotine is nicotine. Got to stop it sometime. Why prolong it to be safe. Just do it

How do I enjoy craves???  :blink:

How do I enjoy craves???  :blink:

Perhaps he meant 'embrace' the craves - to see them as part of the healing process?

You are doing great Nat - I'm going to try to find some word games to keep you occupied - be back in a few minutes :)

• Like 1