Why did you quit smoking?

Colleen

I think sometimes telling ourselves and others why we quit to begin with can help hold us accountable.  I quit for a lot of reasons,  being diagnosed with COPD, Not wanting my son to pick up the habit, and the fact that I was just tired of it top the list.

d8a8698bbc3a88cf507a85d8faf23fa0.jpg

• Like 5

My simplest answer is that I truly hated smoking. Everything about it sucked and I couldn't see anything positive to doing it. For a long time all I could think about is how much I hated smoking but I kept doing it. Eventually I got sick with a respiratory thing and that sealed the deal. I woke up one morning 4.5 months ago and just didn't smoke. The rest is history.

• Like 5

I was at risk of having my feet amputated......can you imagine that.....

I like them just where they are....on the end of my legs......not in the dust bin.....

Also my hubby on oxygen......

What a right pair we would have looked like.....

At least I can still do the shuffle.....Well sort of

• Like 7

I was tired of something so stupid controlling me.  I was smarter than that addiction but I was a prisoner.  I wanted freedom

I knew that some day I would quit.  Whether it was forced upon me or by choice.  I preferred the latter.  

It was a great choice!  FREEDOM ROCKS!

• Like 6

I was at risk of having my feet amputated......can you imagine that.....

I like them just where they are....on the end of my legs......not in the dust bin.....

Also my hubby on oxygen......

What a right pair we would have looked like.....

At least I can still do the shuffle.....Well sort of

Doreen

I just find myself drawn back to this post. I really admire your courage and good humour!

• Like 2

To fix a problem. I knew I would one morning when I was coughing so hard that I couldn't smoke my first cigarette. I would take half a puff then start a coughing fit again. I was getting really pissed that I couldn't smoke my cigarette in peace because of the constant smokers' hack. Smoking a cigarette was battled to a standstill by cigarette smoking's effects and my poor body was the battleground. At that moment I thought of way to solve this problem! ( If you are not a nicotine addict the problem seems pretty easy to fix. )

• Like 5

So many reasons!

I think I originally decided to quit because I was sick. I was also sick of making myself sick from smoking. At the time of my quit, I had been sick for about a week with a terrible throat thing that just did not want to go away. I was still smoking, even while sick. I got to the point where I asked myself WHY. Why was I making my situation worse? I'd smoke and cough... and cough... and cough some more! It was terrible. 

I was lucky to have amazing support from my never-smoker boyfriend. He was great. I don't think I would have been successful without him to be honest. My entire family smokes and it would have been very difficult for me to do so being around them. 

There are many reasons I quit. Health was a big one, followed by watching some of my loved ones suffer with illnesses. Money was a big factor too. My addiction was so bad, I replaced food with smoking sometimes. Talk about mental!

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I quit because....I wanted too.

I stayed quit because of some of members here helping, and someone in real world said "You'll start again."

Proved them wrong.....asshole.

• Like 5

I was starting to suffer shortness of breath, my teeth were in a bad way, my oldest kept begging me to quit and I was really ashamed to be a smoker, hated stinking soo much.

Vanity aswell, noticed I started getting a few wrinkles, yellow teeth, hair wasn't in great condition, yellow fingers, coughing.

• Like 1