Hello šŸ˜¬

Brioski

Sorry, I have been away a week or so. I am happy you have joined us! The first thing I will say, is that I am sorry that you were ill and that your pregnancy was a loss.Ā  That is just a heartbreak.Ā  That does not mean it will not happen and when it does, now that you have quit, it will be so much more joyful.Ā  You will not be faced with the smoking issue, you can relax and enjoy the great gift you have been given.Ā  We are often given the signs that now is the time to quit.Ā  You have received that and accepted it with an open heart, I feel confident you will reach your goal.Ā  This time next year, I hope we will be celebrating your year smoke free and the birth of your child.Ā  We want the best for you and your future family. It is in your hands now, create what you dream, you can do it all!

• Like 4

You guys are so kind and sweet ā¤ļø
Ā 

As Iā€™m encountering more day to day things that are ā€œcoupledā€ (ty for the word, blues) with smoking, I have to ask, what are some things people do aside from the norms of gum, walk, exercise, etc? Ā Anyone practice lazy bones of just sitting on the couch and zoning out to reality tv? Ā Just keep pushing yourself through chore after chore? Ā I guess I have an ongoing task schedule going bc of all the boxes/stuff from my dads Iā€™m still going through (which reek of Marlboro reds but itā€™s not disgusting to me for some reason, prob bc it reminds me of my dad and that wasnā€™t my brand). Ā  I have said out loud ā€œI want a cigarette right now!!ā€ But then my fiancĆ© says no you donā€™t and I play a card game on the iPad and itā€™s over. Ā Some triggers of mine have been cleaning or cooking, because after cleaning the bathroom, smoke..after laundry, smokeā€¦cooking, smoke. Ā Itā€™s not so much Iā€™m clenching at the teeth of not having one, but almost like a down and out, fuzzy/foggy, mundane existence right now. Ā I have this straw air cigarette that a hypnotherapist gave me last year, although he didnā€™t help me at all, for $350, I guess I got this straw air cig thatā€™s helping I think, I hope thatā€™s ok to use, u think? Ā Oh and Iā€™m munching on stuff more than Iā€™d like to admit (not corned beef n cabbage tho lol).Ā 
Ā 

have a good Thursday everyone šŸ„°

B
Ā 

Ā 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

i think using the straw is more than fine.Ā  Jillar's Air Cigarettes are an established method of getting past a crave.Ā  I used straws myself a few times.Ā  I think what you are going thru is just part of the process of quitting an addiction.Ā  After a while you should find that it takes less and less focus to avoid the smokes.Ā  And less and less munching.

• Like 6

Ditto on Yodaā€™s response, @Brioski! You are doing exceptionally well. And Iā€™ve said it so many times since Iā€™ve joined QuitTrain: Every little thing you can take time to document on this site helps you and helps so many others. Itā€™s why I took a seat. While lurking, I could read so many personal trials and failures and victories. They helped me so much. I knew that I wasnā€™t alone. I knew that others had been where I was at and that I was where others might be in the future. Write it out. For all of the future to see, so that they will KNOW. šŸ¤—

• Like 6

@Brioski, anything you can do NOT to smoke is an acceptable tool to use. I LOVED my JAC (jillars air cigarette). I used an invisible one so I wouldn't have to remember where I left it lol. It worked GREAT at tricking my mind into thinking it was getting the real thing.Ā 

Brain fog is also a normal part of quitting and does go away eventually so just hang in there. I always recommend listening to your body about what it needs right now. It's working hard at trying to fix all the damage done by smoking so if you crave sweets, eat sweets. Rest and zoning out to the tv, do it! Let your body dictate your actions in these early days.Ā 

You got this! :)Ā 

• Like 7

If your finding your fatigued....be gentle with yourself ....read ,do puzzles ..learn to knit ....

Chew regular gum ...it will keep your mouth busy ....

What your feeling is temporary....alot of us after a while went fitness mad ....

We call quitting a journey ....your on yours ...and everyone's journey is different ...

Getting to Freedom is priority....šŸø

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Brioski said:

Ā Anyone practice lazy bones of just sitting on the couch and zoning out to reality tv?Ā Ā 

Ā 

Sitting on the couch or laying on the bed while listening to music helped calm me down during the early days.Ā  I can go down the rabbit hole when I start listening to music I like.

Ā 

In quitting smoking there are infinite options of things to do with your time.Ā  There is only one thing you can't do: smoke.

Ā 

Time spent stacking BB's or trying to nail Jell-O to the wall is a better use of your time than smoking.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Brioski said:

Anyone practice lazy bones of just sitting on the couch and zoning out to reality tv?

I was one of the fortunate ones that could sleep.Ā  Do whatever it takes to not smoke.Ā  When I quit, streaming wasn't the thing.Ā  Now you can sit on that couch and catch up on all tv.Ā  Glad your here and quitting.Ā  Life does get better and you can definitely do this.Ā  Hang in there!

Ā 

• Like 5

Some where there is a post by me, pretty much the same thing.Ā  I have worn the couch out, I have been searching on line but have not found it yet. I have watched everything on Netflix.Ā  I have also done a lot of home maintenance type things.Ā  I have spent a lot of time here just reading, what others have been through, things they have done to keep their quit.Ā Ā 

Ā 

Most recently I have enjoyed spending the money I have saved from the quit. I am old, so clothes and things no longer excite me. I will be out shopping for new comfy shoes for the spring and summer.Ā  I have ordered and received a new steam mop (for the tile floors), a handy carpet cleaner, (one of my dogs has decided he should pee in my bedroom to keep his 80# pound brother out of my room). New cookie sheets, as I love to bake. A new toaster, the old one had started to burn things.Ā Ā 

Ā 

Some days I am a good girl, I cook healthy well balance meals.Ā  When I crave junk I go with that too.Ā  We are doing a big thing here. We have to accept that our emotions are running wild.Ā  Accept it for what it is, embrace the change, the bad parts will recede to the back as we grow stronger.Ā  We are addicted to a drug and should expect we will have to be strong for a long time.Ā  The truth is we can do it, we can win, we can be healthy and happy, if we just keep going and are patient while we get past the hard parts.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 7

Yes, yes oh yes to what others have said about being patient with the brain fog (Iā€™m still struggling with it). Staying occupied has been really important for me ā€“ to distract from the cravings and also to reprogram my body rhythms. For 40+ years smoking was an organizing principle of my life, itā€™s how I punctuated everything: waking up, eating, working, relaxing, managing emotions, going to sleep, all of it. So staying busy this early in my quit is also about learning what life is like without nicotine being the metronome that regulates my tempo for everything. I think every person is different, you will find the things that work for you. But some things that are working for me right now:

• A mini honey-do list of small household tasks, doable in 15 minutes or less. I keep a running list, complete a few each day, cross them off (satisfying!) and add more.
  • Countertop or wall pushups. Lots. Every time a crave hits. Iā€™m out of shape enough that by the time I do 20 or 30 Iā€™ve pretty much forgotten all about smoking. (And everything else.)
  • Vigorously shaking my hands, arms and legs ā€“ really hard. I donā€™t know if thatā€™s about stimulating circulation or about venting frustration, but it helps. The cats are gradually getting used to this. Ā 
  • I chew on cinnamon oil toothpicks and mints.
  • I got some lavender-scented Silly Putty. Love it, it keeps my hands busy. Itā€™s also great for aggravating Zoom work meetings, not just quitting smoking.
  • Really gentle television. Quitting has screwed up my sleep, and itā€™s also made me strangely sensitive to images of violence or any stressful suspense. My mate is getting pretty tired of baking shows, Bob Ross, cute baby animals and the history of the paper clip... but too bad!
  • Reading, posting and playing games here. Thank heavens for the Train. Ā Ā Ā 

You got this @Brioski... one day at a time!

Ā 

• Like 6

First of all, I am so sorry about the loss of your Dad. Ā Itā€™s not easy to lose a parent. Ā I have lost both Mom & Dad and it never gets easy. Ā I miss them so.

Ā 

Iā€™m glad you decided to speak up. Ā Lurking is okay but getting to know everyone and having people to lean on who have been where we are really makes a difference.

Ā 

You are doing great. Ā Iā€™m not going to tell you it will be an easy ride, because itā€™s not. Ā But neither is battling cancer; something I had to face not to long ago. Ā Yes, quitting cigarettes is hardā€¦but so is fighting cancer.

Ā 

Welcome aboard. Ā Stick closeby and read lots. Ā 

Youā€™ll soon be an ex-smokerā€¦just like so many here.

Edited by JudiMD
  • Like 4