Stupid things that smokers say

action

I think this would be a useful thread to remind ourselves what we used to be like when we were smokers…

There is a person in my office, who is probably mid-twenties and is a smoker.  Our cleaning lady (an elderly lady who I believe is an ex-smoker and always says exactly what is on her mind!) was speaking with him about him smoking and asked him (as you do) – when are you going to give up smoking?  What happens when you get cancer and it’s too late? (she has a way with words don’t you think!).  Anyway his reply was:  ‘IF it gets to that point, I will just keep on smoking, if it is too late…  It’s not just smoking that causes cancer – walking down the street breathing in carbon monoxide from car exhausts increase the risk of cancer.  Besides, I enjoy smoking and I could get hit by a bus tomorrow anyway…'

I was sitting quietly just listening, thinking – did I used to sound like that?  Was I so in denial that I would lie to myself (and everyone else) to justify that I could carry on smoking and it would be OK?  And believing all the lies I was feeding myself?  The answer is yes, I was that person just 7 months ago.  Addiction sucks :(

So, has anyone else heard any ‘good ones’ lately?

• Like 7

Good Thread Ross, I've said that before "well I could get hit by a bus tommorow" , or how about its just not a good time, said that many times!!  The Cleaner at my work is in her 70's and said there is not much point in her stopping, her time must be up ! 

• Like 1

My friend tried to quit last saturday, she smoked that night cos it was too hard but she is only smoking a few everyday now so it's ok!

And my neighbour is a heart attack waiting to happen, she is severely over weight, eats pure crap and smokes like a chimney, she is 42 but she says she doesn't need to quit smoking cos her parents smoke and are still alive and well so if they can do it so can she,

Now her mother smoked when pregnant with her and she has been smoking since she was 12, her parents smoked everywhere, house, car etc so really you could say she has smoked for over 40 years. She is driving me bonkers with her attitude, she smokes in the house when her son is in bed cos apparently the smoke doesn't rise upstairs :O, she does send him down to her house from mine to get her smokes for her. Total denial, she really believes cos her 60ish year old parents don't have illnesses YET then she will be fine, even though she literally can not walk around the block without stopping and having severe shortness of breath and then giving up and going home

• Like 3

"I can quit any time I want"

Which was true for The Sarge. When he wanted to, he did ... except that for 27+ years he never wanted to.  And if The Doc didn't step up the game with talk of Imminent Heart Attacks and Impending Decrepitude, he probably never would have wanted to.

Easy Peasy

• Like 3

When my Mom's oncologist was encouraging her to get treatment... she used that line " I could get hit by a bus tomorrow".  He told her "Yes....but why would you step in front of it?"....and it has always stuck with me.

That's a good response. I really like it... And why do we all think bus drivers as such dangers to society?!

• Like 1

My SIL told me she would quit after she got married (the lead up to the wedding was too stressful to quit)... This was in November and she is still smoking. Is she telling me that her life has been too stressful to quit everyday for the last 6 months?! I try to tell her my life is way less stressful since I quit, but obviously she thinks I'm full of s*** :(

• Like 2

Sometimes we don't say anything. 

I had 2 major heart attacks in my 30's.  Doc told me it was from smoking.  Wanted to put stents in and load me up on medications.  I refused and started exercising, eating right and smoking less.  Then I passed the stress test, slowed down on exercising, got to enjoy that very much missed cheeseburger and smoked more.  I was well again. 

I never wanted to quit smoking.  I knew what smoking did but if it happened, well then I would straighten up again.  I never said anything to justify my smoking......

until my little guy asked me to stop.  I had a couple of issues with that one.  But then I would even say "I know, I know.  I will stop, I just need more time." 

But it doesnt' matter.  Cause wah lah !!!   here I am.  Although I don't consider myself quit.  I do consider myself living.  And I like this life now.  ALOT better !!!!!  :D

• Like 6

And why do we all think bus drivers as such dangers to society?!

Dont' let Jimmy fool you guys.......

Here in Texas, we hear things..... and I hear Jimmy can be a pretty mean bus driver.  People in his little town get out of the way when they hear Jimmy comin....... 

and it's been said.....he can drive that bus on 2 wheels.

• Like 2

I think we need jimbob to get someone to film him driving his bus, I wanna watch you in action (don't mean in Ross aka Action)

That would be cool ;)

• Like 2

And why do we all think bus drivers as such dangers to society?!

It ain't the drivers.

It's the back-stabbing co-workers who throw you under the bus any chance they get.

Easy Peasy

• Like 3

I can't believe the medical profession blame smoking for everything, what non smokers don't get cancer...this was my war cry. I would get angry if docs blamed something I had on smoking, like they weren't trying to work it out. 

Now I daily listen to "but I'm barely smoking at all" from a failed quitter! It's a failure to smoke when you meant to give up, argh! 

So many years being a big old dopey twonk to be honest. Lesson finally learnt.

• Like 3

My favourite line that I used a lot was: "Well, if I die, I'll die happy."

WTF? Man... what a dumb thing to think!

Oh my word!  I said the exact same thing...What were we thinking?  Duh!  :dash2:

• Like 1