Daily exercise log for everyone :)

Did my dog walking today. Three dogs @ 20 minutes each.

I'm not sure how many calories I burn doing this--not as many as I had hoped. These are rescue dogs (almost all pit bulls and rotweilers) who have not been socialized and don't actually know how to "walk" on a leash. They run ahead and pull your arm out of the socket then stop dead while they sniff something in the grass. So my response as a volunteer dog walker is supposed to be to stop walking until they come back and walk next to me. With most dogs that would be fine, but these dogs are stubborn and very excited to be out. So it's walk, stop, walk, stop, walk, stop, walk, stop... And sometimes they get confused and wrap the leash around my legs and THEN pull like mad!! (A-a-r-r-g-g-h!). Periodically we take a break I spend a few minutes teaching them "sit" and "stay". But then it's back to walk, stop, walk, stop... 

I'm pretty sure that if I can manage to walk the same 3 dogs 3 times a week they will start to get the hang of walking WITH me instead of pulling ahead (I get to request which dogs I want to walk). Then we will be able to build up some speed and consistency and I can start burning calories. But in the meanwhile, having a 75 pound, well-muscled pit bull pulling your arm out of the socket and wrapping the leash around your legs for an hour is exhausting. 

I am pretty sure you would be burning quite a few calories and building strength at the same time. :)

I love that you care so much about rescue animals and devote time, love and patience to them. :)

Whew! The problem isn't me!

As you probably know, I recently chose to walk dogs as part of my exercise routine. I've been doing it for 1 hour three times a week for about 2 weeks now. I used to walk dogs at this same rescue organization 2 years ago and I thought I knew what to do. But this time around, it seems as though every single dog I walk, while not vicious or anything, is completely unsocialized. They don't relate to humans, they don't wag their tails, they ignore commands, they pull your arm out of the socket when they walk, etc. This is not a fun experience for either me or the dog. It used to be rare to get a dog this poorly trained but now it's almost every dog. I began to wonder what I was doing wrong. 

I finally got a chance to talk to a long-term staff member the other day. It turns out that a year ago this shelter got the contract to administer the animal shelters (i.e. "dog catcher") operations for TWO counties! Plus continue the non-profit shelter they had all along. So their most experienced staff who used to train the shelter dogs have been transferred to the county facilities. The remaining staff at the shelter are relatively new and have very little time to train dogs-- just feed, clean, let out into the runs, load into vans for various adoption events, feed and clean again. 

So that explains why the dogs are out of control. The problem is not me. The dogs (or rather the dogs' environment) has changed. Nobody actually trains them any more. I feel reassured by that. And now that I understand better what is going on, I know how to deal with it. I will work intensively three times a week with only one dog and start the training from the very beginning. It may take a couple of months to work up to walking well on a leash. And that's OK with me. It won't be as much exercise for me as I had anticipated, but I'll do something else for exercise. At least I will be making one dog happier and improving his/her chances of being adopted. That's very good.

• Like 3

Sarge leaves tomorrow - Boulder, Colorado to climb these:

Flatirons.jpg

They may just be looking like this next week, instead.

flatiron-560-3-560x375.jpg

Miles and miles of hiking.

1.20140518_070049-1024x597.jpg

Thousands and thousands of feet of climbing.

pebble-overview.jpg

The occasional Mountain Trail Run thrown in, too, if we're not too pooped from climbing.

Flatiron4_lead.jpg

Easy Peasy

• Like 7