Smoking, the gift that keeps on giving...

Cbdave

6 hours ago, Cbdave said:

G'day

Got rid of the drips and drains. Drugs out of the system so it's safe to say something now. Got a cracker of a scar running up one side of my neck. Kinda looking foward to getting the matching one on the right.

Gunna tell everyone that I got bit buy a shark. I got away before he could close its mouth......

Can't let truth get in the way of a good story...

C

No offence mate but until ya get the other side sorted everyone's just gunna assume your fresh of the boat from Tassie :D

Glad your doin well though and on the mend.

• Like 3

Hello,

So sorry to see this has happened, please let us know how you progress with the recovery.

It could have been worse - be glad that you quit 3 years ago, it could have been the difference between death and surviving this.

It is never too late to quit smoking.

Cristóbal

• Like 3

G’day all

Thanks heaps for all your best wishes... I’m not just saying this it’s really raised my spirits.

Ive got some colour in my cheaks it’s really noticable how good you feel with a head full of oxygenated blood! 

Managed to get the yellow iodine out of the beard and its back to a proper silver again. As for the bad trim, it will grow in time.

Spiritually, it’s knocked me around a bit more than I care to admit. Over the last 8 years I’ve been operated on for 2 major injuries, I’m a 2 1/2 year cancer surviver but this has been the hardest. 

I think it’s coming back from being semi paralysed down one side with a foggy head that scares you.

As for not smoking. My doc said great, even a recient non smoker, he could work with that. Being a 3 year non smoking better still once those carotid arteries are clear they’ll stay that way. As for my heart trust me they have had a captive patient and every test shows those arteries are clear. My medication is one low dose aspirin and one statin per day. Don’t know if that will change when the other side is unblocked.

Back to just a couple of days work next week, ill ease back into it.....

Really pray that no one has to go through this. It’s no fun, if never wish it on anyone.... just read about it... trust me

Chris

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Glad your recovering physically.... and spiritually.... I had to giggle at the iodine stains on ya santa beard.... and do i get a gold star for not stirring on that fact..So how many Tassie jokes are you copping??? I am sorry its rattled you so much but having paralysis of one side, however short term, would throw anyone for a loop. You, me mate, are a survivor.... you beat cancers arse, you kick the nicobitch to the gutter..... and this too will be chalked up to yet another steller Chris victory.... and how proud and rapped were you to hear the doctor being so happy with your 3 years smoke free status.... one more set of pipes to be cleaned and you will be like a new man.... not that there was anything wrong with the old man, we kinda like him.... but clean pipes have to be good.

Don't rush the back to work... although I get the fact it makes it easier to deal with other stuff when you have something else to occupy yourself.

So spirit lifting... yeah it sucks, yeah its scary, yeah you had already done the right thing and been through a health crisis so its kinda unfair... but your still here, your healing quicker than smokin' Chris would have, and you will heal better than you would have..... and someone lurking is going to read this thread and think shit... imagine if that happened to me, now, as a smoker... and it may just be the final straw that convinces them that now is the time to quit... because everything happens for a reason, even if we ourselves never know what that reason is.

Hope ya back to fighting form soon... just like your fellow Bananabender Horn.... just treat this health concern like an annoying Mundine... ;)

Edited by notsmokinjo
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Gday Jo

Your very right you know. I should really be acknowledging how much giving up smoking has given me. In reality I’ve given myself a pretty special gift in given up smoking. It’s given me so much more than smoking ever did. Truly the gift you can give yourself that does keep on giving...

On the subject of my beard your correct it’s not a Santa beard, it’s actually a Ned Kelly beard just mine comes in white....

C

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wow, cbdave, I just checked to see what was up here at quittrain after being off for awhile. Sorry to hear you got hit with this. That must have been really scary to go through the TIA and the treatment.

I have been well since my episode with lung cancer but I do have side effects from the chemo I had after surgery. It's also a 'gift' from smoking all those years. So happy we both quit and became long term survivors and quitters.

I still get the odd twang of missing smoking and that's why I checked in. Thanks for posting your story. It's a great motivation to quit and stay quit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, onthemark said:

Wow, cbdave, I just checked to see what was up here at quittrain after being off for awhile. Sorry to hear you got hit with this. That must have been really scary to go through the TIA and the treatment.

I have been well since my episode with lung cancer but I do have side effects from the chemo I had after surgery. It's also a 'gift' from smoking all those years. So happy we both quit and became long term survivors and quitters.

I still get the odd twang of missing smoking and that's why I checked in. Thanks for posting your story. It's a great motivation to quit and stay quit.

G’day OTM

Still not real sure sometimes if I’m the unluckiest or the luckiest man....

But I’m still here and all my friends have gathered around to help. That’s not luck it’s a pure blessing....I’m blessed

Chris

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...