Building something

Kdad

Hey all

I was thinking of why this Forum works. As you participate you are building something over time. You can form relationships with individuals, hear advice from the group, help others maintain their quit, and make a daily NOPE pledge. All this adds up to a meaningful "thing". The "thing" begins to act as a counterbalance to the urge to smoke. When I have cravings I think of this forum first. It is not guilt, (they will judge me), but more of a feeling that I would be sacrificing all that I have done.  It is making this quit different. During other quits the urge to smoke was meet with abstract ideas of negative consequences. These were often flimsy and wouldn't hold up. This is a strong, positive, structure we are building. And it works.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 4

I agree. I am not one for social media. Don't even have a Face-Plant account but this place is different.

There's a purpose to it and I was very pleasantly surprised at how effective it was once I joined up. Not sure I would have made it on my own?

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Kdad said:

Hey all

I was thinking of why this Forum works. As you participate you are building something over time. You can form relationships with individuals, hear advice from the group, help others maintain their quit, and make a daily NOPE pledge. All this adds up to a meaningful "thing". The "thing" begins to act as a counterbalance to the urge to smoke. When I have cravings I think of this forum first. It is not guilt, (they will judge me), but more of a feeling that I would be sacrificing all that I have done.  It is making this quit different. During other quits the urge to smoke was meet with abstract ideas of negative consequences. These were often flimsy and wouldn't hold up. This is a strong, positive, structure we are building. And it works.

This is a great post, Kdad.

The more you participate here, the more you document your quit

the stronger it can become.

Collectively, we are awesome.

Thanks for this post.

• Like 5

Kdad,  I feel the same about this forum.  I know that if I had not stumbled across it, I would still be smoking.  These wonderful friends, from around the world guided me through the difficulties of quitting smoking and made me feel the true strength inside me.  Pledging and helping others continues to solidify your own quit.   

• Like 4

There are things worse than having a smoking habit.

Oh well, there goes MY desire to have some self-love tonight. Thanks.

On 11/18/2018 at 6:07 PM, reciprocity said:

OK but I'm NOT playing Princess Dress-Up again tonight Stewie!

vh877t.jpg