Help and support

Mee

I am 64 yrs. old and do want to quit smoking.  I just do not have the willpower.  I am scared and sure I will die of cancer (you would think that would be enough).  I deal with depression and am afraid of the depression that will come with quitting smoking.  I have tried the patch.  Am afraid to try Chantix because I do take other depression medication.  I also have anxiety and panic attacks.  Any suggestions or encouragement would be wonderful.

• Like 7

Linda, welcome to the Quittrain and it is a great place to start to explore quitting. I'm sure you'll not be surprised to hear from us that quitting is the best possible gift you can give yourself. That's right, for all the fears, anxiety and worry over quitting, that one thing is truly an astonishing gift. You can wake up in the morning and the way you great the morning will not be with a cancer stick. You can live your life free from the anxiety of wondering and planning where you can get your next smoke in. You can sleep at night free from the anxiety of knowing that you continue to poison yourself.

There is a price to pay for this, but here we have a group of people, some older, some younger that are living proof that it can be done.

I'm not sure where you are based, but can you speak to your doctor about the recommended course of action. I can't comment on how Chantix would react with your other medication, but I would be surprised if something couldn't be worked out.

In relation to quitting with depression, I would be surprised if what is problematic in one respect (if you see quitting as denying yourself) isn't more than counterbalanced by some of the weight being taken off your shoulders. As a nice side effect you can afford to start treating yourself to some very nice things you will richly deserve as you go through this.

Read as much as you can in the newcomer topics, watch many videos, post, ask as many questions as you like.

You can do this if you really want to and we will be here every step of the way if you need support.

• Like 7

My doctor talked about acupuncture.  Has anyone on here tried that.  She is with the Cleveland Clinic.  You are right when you say part of my depression is the fact that I can not seem to quit.  Your response does make me feel not so alone.  I will read through  and watch your videos.  Thanks for your encouragement.  I will try and quit and hopefully with your support I will make it.

• Like 4

Anytime Linda. There are a lot of tips and tricks that most people on here swear by.

From breathing exercises, to lots and lots of water, to fruit juices and hard candy to keep blood sugar up and to act as a distraction. The key for me is to come here each day and to pledge Nope, which simply means I commit to the next 24 hours being smoke free. Small milestones are important.

I'd recommend to make a list of all of the good reasons you can think of for quitting, what it will personally mean to you. Make it as long as you can and make it personal.

We'll be here, there's no time like the present to take the plunge, but if you're not ready today, we'll still be here tomorrow and the following day.

• Like 6

Welcome Linda and congratulations on making the decision to take back your life :) We've had lots of successful members who have quit and stayed quit who also suffer from anxiety and/or depression so you're not alone. I've never tried acupuncture but I'm glad you've made your Dr aware of your plans to quit. This way if your meds temporarily need to be adjusted while you're getting through the hardest part of the quit, hopefully they'll get you right in :)

I also stopped smoking in places and at times when I normally did. This helped me disassociate these places/times with smoking.

Lastly please use the SOS system we have in place if you feel yourself caving to a crave. We will do all we can to help talk you past it. It works, I used it a couple times :)

• Like 6

Hi Linda 

I’m pretty sure that most people ready to take that very first step of quitting feel a heightened sense of anxiety. But for me, the bolting out of bed in absolute panic due to irregular breathing  far outweighed the overblown anxiety I thought I’d feel from quitting.

Not having nicotine force me to drop everything and everyone to feed my addiction every 20 minutes actually reduced my anxiety and gave me a sense of freedom and accomplishment.

Hope you’ll be able to realize those feelings too. It really is a wonderful awakening.

• Like 7

Welcome Linda and I hope you decide to take advantage of all the great advice that has been given here. Quitting is probably the most important and beneficial gift one can give themselves. As with other things we anticipate in advance as being unpleasant and therefore we are fearful of, quitting often isn't as bad as we build it up to be in our minds. It is not easy by any means and does require determination but as we are all evidence of, it IS possible and I can tell you for sure, if there is one thing in my life I am very proud of having done  ..... it's that I quit this horrible addiction and I did it myself with the help of many people here. Come join us won't you?

• Like 7

Welcome Linda,

OK so as Jillar said there are a few of us here who have quit with anxiety and/or depression issues. My first suggestion was going to be make sure you speak to your doctor but you already ticked that box. So personally I have anxiety issues, now I have had these for years and you will see I still have them at the moment but I also have a thyroid condition contributing to this. When I first quit my anxiety (after the first month, and before my thyroid went screwy) was the best it had been in my memory. I found that a lot of my anxiety was linked to "when can I have my next smoke" and I would time my activities around this limitation.

This video might be helpful:  https://whyquit.com/joels-videos/resources-regarding-mental-health-issues/

This one is good in the early days/before a quit:  https://whyquit.com/joels-videos/resources-related-to-the-importance-of-being-smarter-than-nicotine-as-opposed-to-having-to-be-stronger/

Its not about being 'stronger' than nicotine addiction but being smart.... learn everything you can about how Nicotine addiction worked.

So everything I have read tells me cold turkey is the best way to quit... for me this was never going to be a option because I don't work that way, I know I don't work that way so for me the way to go was NRT gum. I very much believe every person's quit is individual to themselves and their own personality, history and motivations. It is more about finding what will work for you and going with that.

Regarding Chantix, I am not personally a fan, but I know some people who have had successful quits with Chantix. I know that as a medication it can impact on other medications and even some diet interaction issues. I would definately discuss this as an option with my doctor but get as much information as possible. I have a friend who quit at 62 after smoking for 51 years using Chantix.... she had no existing health issues and she had no reactions. She is going very well with her quit and nearly a whole year smoke free. Personally I have a negative experience with this medication.

So as long as you get as much knowledge as possible about nicotine and how it makes you addicted and you take it as 1 day at a time you can do this.

• Like 6

Hi and Welcome Linda....

Stopping smoking and claiming your life back is the most wonderful thing you can do for your health....

We do have folks who have quit with anxiety and depression..

You have been given great advice already...I will just mirror ,its  important  you and your doctor work side by side 

• Like 3

Oh my goodness.  I have been mulling this site for a long time, not realizing it would be a great place for support.  So much wonderful advice.  I have been experiencing so much depression and feelings of helplessness lately and a big part of that is the fear of what smoking is doing to me.  I have also been taking care of two very difficult, elderly parents and dealing with a husband who is trying to make it to retirement  (10 mos.) after doing a physical job his entire life and wearing his body out.  He is hanging in there for the benefits because it would be too costly for us.  I am retired after driving school bus for thirty years.  I so want to be able to enjoy a life with him in retirement. 

I have been ashamed of my addiction for a long time and just want to stay home to smoke.  I have lost all motivation in so many things that I enjoy.  Sometimes I feel like I would just like to give up.  I don't feel I can share these feeling with anyone close to me.  

Today is a new day and I am starting it with the challenge of not having that morning smoke.  That is a tough one.  I will lean on you all and pray that this time I can have some success!

• Like 3

Hi and welcome. Please join me on this journey. We can do this. Myself almost finishing day 3. Not easy but it can be done. Still anxious but noticing that morning crave is getting weaker as time goes by. Looking forward to sharing this journey with you. 

• Like 8

Hello Linda !

We all want to see you have a successful quit and will do everything to help you.

Educate yourself about nicotine addiction.  Read and watch vids until your eyes  bleed.  No kidding.

and commit to NOPE (not one puff EVER).

The self awareness and confidence that you will acquire will blow your mind, believe me.

You will love the freedom and emerge a confident powerhouse of a woman.

Get yourself a plan...NRT or hypnosis or cold turkey (any way you quit is the right way to quit),

the crucial bit is committing to your decision to never take another puff.  

It may be gruesome for a while but, nothing you can't handle.  Quitting won't kill you, Smoking will kill you.

Craves are not commands.  

Don't forget to have some fun here, even though quitting is serious business there is plenty of room for frivolity.

We have games and such to distract you from craves.

This post will help you navigate around the site

10 Ways To Effectively Use This Forum To Help Yourself and Others To Quit Smoking

• Like 2

Linda - cigarettes and smoking only have the power you give to them. Refuse to light one up and they are done and YOU win!

Just keep doing that every time the thought occurs to you and pretty soon, those thoughts will stop occurring to you. That's pretty much the way it works. You'll see. Take it one day at a time for now. You will get there just like we all do. Keep at it :)

• Like 3

Hi Linda welcome aboard, I too suffer from anxiety and depression and was actually surprised to find out that cigarettes contribute more to depression than actually helping. Champix is a good form of quitting and your GP would be able to advise you if you medication would interact with the medication you are on. I too used to be afraid to stop smoking, but have come to realise that that is the addiction that is talking. Its all about taking 5 minutes at a time, not smoking for the next 5 minutes, then the next, not thinking too far ahead. Its all about not putting something in your mouth and setting it on fire. We have all been through the exact same emotions that you are going through, so please don't feel you are doing this alone. Work with what makes you feel comfortable and don't be too hard on yourself. Hugs to you xx

• Like 5

Linda -- you can do this.  I quit just a few months ago at the age of 64 and had many of the same anxieties that you are having.  I can only say that it has been the best choice I have ever made.  My family has been so happy that I have done this, especially my grandchildren.  It may be a little hard at first but it does get easier.  Drinking cold water, coming here to educate yourself and reach to the others is all very helpful -- but coming here to take the daily "NOPE" pledge is so important -- a commitment to yourself, may seem hokey (I kind of thought so) but it really helped me through and still does.  

• Like 5

Welcome to QuitTrain, Linda.  You have made a great decision to quit smoking.

You've been given some great advice already.  I can say that for me,  things really changed when I started trying to focus on the positives to quitting smoking (which you will see that there are many, with time) as opposed to dwelling on the struggles you might have early on.  Those struggles are temporary and you do start to feel much better physically and mentally over time.  Smoking really does nothing positive for you whatsoever.

You may want to check out Allen Carr's book "The Easyway to Quit Smoking."  Granted, quitting isn't easy for most people, but that book really changed my outlook on smoking.  It really helped me to see that I was gaining nothing positive from smoking.

Sazerac posted a link to the book here.  I think it might be the first of several parts.  I have the paperback version which I found very useful.

https://www.quittrain.com/topic/10780-allen-carr-quit-smoking-book-on-youtube/

Please note, the book is geared strictly towards quitting cold turkey but there is a lot of valuable info there, even if you are quitting by another method.

Another great thing to keep you going in your quit is distracting yourself.  There are a lot of games and socializing threads on this site that have helped many early on in their quit, especially during slow times when temptation may arise.

Anyway, welcome to the site.  It is good to have you here.  Stick with this quit.  You will be glad you did.

• Like 3

Hi Linda and Welcome. Its great to have you here with us. You have been given great advice, I can't add to it much , so will just agree to take it a day at a time, or hour or minute! post often, read lots, and watch Joel Spitzers videos, he is fantastic!! Dig those heels in and stay determined and you WILL win.

All the best :91_thumbsup:and if your feeling stressed, relaxing sleep music on youtube is brilliant.

• Like 4

On 7/31/2018 at 9:26 PM, Linda Thomas said:

I just do not have the willpower. 

I tried some of those willpower quits.  Never had any success with them.  My head wasn't in the right place and eventually my willpower reserves ran out.

Then I found this site.  From there, I read Allen Carr's "Easyway to Stop Smoking" and started watching Joel Spitzer's videos.  Slowly but surely, the way I thought about smoking and my relationship to cigarettes started to change.  Eventually, I stopped fighting it all together.  I let whatever smoking thoughts came to mind happen, observed them, and let them pass.  There's no willpower needed when you stop fighting it.

Education and commitment are the foundation of a strong quit.  Willpower and motivation are too fleeting and fickle to be trusted.

• Like 4

I have been watching all the videos and popping all over this site.  For some reason it feels like this is the right place to be.  You all seem to make this not so scary as it seems.  

Day one is down and I am comforted to know I have this wonderful army to get me through the next.  I don't think I have ever made it more than a week.  I do feel determined.

• Like 4

Yay Linda, congratulations on day 1 done! I KNOW you can make it, just believe in yourself and lean on us as much as you need. We all felt like you when we first quit.

Lots of questions about the recovery process led me to my first forum experience. I'm convinced that without the help of former smokers who knew exactly what I was going through, I would not have been successful. 

We have so much here to help keep your mind off the misery. Whether it's posting, reading, supporting, celebrating or socializing :)

• Like 2

Hi Linda, welcome to QuitTrain !!!

The only thing you really need to quit, is to make a commitment to Never.Take.Another.Puff. We call this NTAP, or NOPE (Not.One.Puff.Ever.).

You cannot quit smoking, without this commitment that you make with yourself.

Again....it is so important that you make this commitment !!! Internalize this idea, and your quit will go so much more easier.

Frequently, anxiety/panic attacks/depression are symptoms that are associated with nicotine addiction. After all, you are addicted to a drug (nicotine), and this addiction affects your entire life in every way you can imagine....and in many ways you cannot imagine at this moment.

I suggest that you go to WhyQuit and read about nicotine addiction. The more education you have about about nicotine addiction, the easier it will be for you to understand the process of putting the addiction to sleep.

I also recommend watching Joel Spitzer´s videos, they are located in a special section in the alfabet order of QuitTrain here: https://www.quittrain.com/forum/15-joel-spitzers-quit-smoking-video-library/

The videos are also available on YouTube here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCag4hg_fX_NnOb1N4yXA97Q

Cristóbal

Edited by Cristóbal
  • Like 3