Evolution does not stop

DVredux

Hello,

Relapsed and recommitted previous member of the QSMB board here.

Yes, i have relapsed quite a few times and no it has not destroyed my resolve to make sure that this time this quit sticks.

Its similar to how evolution does not give up trying to be better and failing a number of times. 

Quit on March 30th

• Like 7

DVredux, welcome aboard.  As long as you have the resolve this site will help you, there are many good people here to help you along the way.  It is great that you have a week behind you, this can be done one day at a time.  Come here often to read, learn, and socialize and most importantly to do the daily NOPE pledge -- it has done me wonders.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Welcome DV, glad you're back on your quit. I don't know what user you were at qsmb so if you don't mind my asking how long did you stay quit before your relapse? Also did you log on everyday for the moral support and/or the daily NOPE?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, DVredux said:

Hello,

Yes, i have relapsed quite a few times and no it has not destroyed my resolve to make sure that this time this quit sticks.

Its similar to how evolution does not give up trying to be better and failing a number of times. 

Quit on March 30th

I have blown quite a few quits. Don't quit trying, you have to be mentally prepared . Educate on the addiction and replace the action/reaction of smoking with something else. Good luck

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So today is day eight without a smoke or tobacco.

You are doing good. You KNOW you can live without tobacco. No point in lighting up anymore.

Assuming $5 USD a pack and a pack a day smoker, you have already saved $40.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Welcome to QuitTrain, DV.  Congrats on 8 days smoke free.

I had quite a few short-term quits too.  Education and support are what really helped me, here and at QSMB. 

Stick around for a while this time, and reach out if you are struggling.  I think you know that life is definitely better as a non-smoker since you keep trying to quit.  You can quit for good this time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Welcome aboard DV...

Educate yourself...there is tons of good info here...and videos to watch...knowledge will be your weapon...

Take the daily NOPE ..it's a promise to yourself not to smoke that day...soon the days turn to weeks,months,years...

You can do it...lean on the board...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/6/2018 at 7:24 PM, DVredux said:

Hello,

Quit on March 30th

Quit 'Till It Sticks,  DVredux,   quit 'till it sticks. 

Congratulations on your first 8 days of freedom.

It may help you and others if you can articulate your experience.

What triggers your relapses ?  How will you protect this quit ?

What is in your toolbox ?  How are you feeling ?

What encourages you ?

Don't forget to reward yourself and use our collective knowledge and support to your advantage.

You don't smoke anymore, yay. 

Edited by Sazerac
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for welcoming me on board!

Sorry for the late response, was away travelling and enjoying nature and scents via a smoke free body respiratory tract!

To collectively sum up the response, the relapse of my long term quit boiled down to a very stupid decision where I was mentally convinced that 1 cig on a social occasion is perfectly ok, considering that I am not addicted to nicotine anymore. Anyways we all know how that goes.

Trust me you can educate yourself all you want (and I had all the education up there), but the moment you start to think you are invincible, that's when you become the most vulnerable. I guess the main lesson to learn is not only to have the education, but also the presence of mind to kick yourself in the butt the moment you decide on playing god, ha! Else you would end up like Lucas introducing Jar Jar in the episode 1, scratching your head thinking "why did I do that".

So this time I went back to the basics, did what I did the time when I went on the long term quit:

-Put the pictures of my two kids (I had one back then) with a quote saying "this is why you are doing it".

-Allowed myself to eat anything and everything. I am ok to pack a few pounds for the first 4-6 weeks if need be and then start off with the fitness routine (I am having a peanut butter milkshake as I speak).

-Pick up an intense physical activity / sport. I picked up running and kick-boxing in the previous quit. This time I have put a punching bag up. The idea is to physically wear yourself down towards nirvana. Also when I am at home and the crave hits, I go at it for a couple of rounds.

-Stash up normal sugarfree chewing gum, preferably strong mint / winterfresh.

-Download a ridiculous but thought consuming game on your cell phone, preferably one which has rounds that last between 3-5 mins. That's the time a crave lasts.

-For the last resort, when a major crave hits, go into the bathroom, open the warm shower, let the steam rise up. Stand there and breath. While making your lungs work, it clears up your sinuses as well, something which I suffer from during the first couple of weeks.

The one thing that works best for me during craves is that I ramble a lot instead of taking a pledge etc. So watch out for my ramblings!

I am in it for good this time and going to be around this forum, so if anyone wants to chat or talk, shout out !

Have a lovely day!

• Like 6

Good stuff DV! You have the plan so now it's all just execution. Based on your story above, I'm betting that's one mistake you will never make again. Thanks for sharing your story too because it's always a good reminder to the rest of us just how fragile our quits really are. Hope you participate here as much as you can.

• Like 2