What are you doing right now

notsmokinjo

28 minutes ago, jillar said:

I don't have an instant pot just a crock pot 

My grandmother used to call that a "crotch pot."  And she wasn't trying to be funny.

She also used to call the trunk of the car "the turtle."  That expression led to some really confused bag boys at the grocery store.

• Haha 4

No pressure cooker allowed in my house - electric or otherwise. Both myself and the wife have been witness to P-cooker explosions (separate incidents before we ever met).

Mine was beets - aftermath was NOT pretty. Kitchen looked like a mass murder scene :) 

Oh damn! Just wasted a good one for 2 Truths & a Lie 😣

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, Sazerac said:

What's your favorite thing to hot pot ?

I love beef roasts, stew and soups.  Everything cooks faster, juicer and is more tender.  I have never done rice or yogurt.  You can google any recipe you want.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, reciprocity said:

No pressure cooker allowed in my house - electric or otherwise. Both myself and the wife have been witness to P-cooker explosions

The instapot has an automatic pressure release on it.  Before I bought it, I thought about buying an old pressure cooker at a flea market.  I am glad I didn't.

I never realized how long it took to cook a beet.  I would cook them for the elderly woman I took care of.  You had to boil that damn thing all day.  It would only take me about an hour  in the instapot!

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Linda Thomas said:

The instapot has an automatic pressure release on it.  Before I bought it, I thought about buying an old pressure cooker at a flea market.  I am glad I didn't.

I never realized how long it took to cook a beet.  I would cook them for the elderly woman I took care of.  You had to boil that damn thing all day.  It would only take me about an hour  in the instapot!

right and food retains a lot more nutritional value at pressure.

@jillar this contraption can also cook like a crockpot or crotch pot as, Mama @Boo used to say.  ( I LOVE Boo's Mama)

@reciprocity  how long ago was this ?  Was it a modern one that blew up ?

They are a lot less scary then they used to be.  They try to avoid error and shut down.

Plus,  you aren't messing with a live flame.

I'm going to like this very much.  I am v. into making deep flavorful broths...then make glace or some sauce.

The beans are the best...tender and creamy and still have some integrity.  Very impressed.

The Test Kitchen will try yoghurt this weekend.

• Like 3

G’day 

Thats interesting..... electric. I’m looking for a replacement pressure cooker as I’m unable to get the sealing rings and saftey anymore for the pressure cooker I inherited from my Nan. It was a 1948 10 quart Namco from the cook book I got with it. The special sealing rings were made of unvulcanised rubber and they don’t make them anymore. 

Electric or otherwise I don’t think things change from when my Nan taught me to cook with it. Pressure cookers makes things taste too salty and they kill flavours.

So the trick is to salt and pepper, herb and spice at the end not before.

They do the best corned beef. The trick being is to soak for an hour before cookin in cold water changing it a couple of times.

• Like 1

Pressure cookers are only salty if you add salt, the method of cooking doesn't impart salt.

I haven't had one since the old days loved it and had no problem until I couldn't find parts like @Cbdave.

You should check out the new ones, for sure.  Technology is our friend, innit ?

Well, there was that one incident...guests coming for dinner.

Taking artichokes out of pressure cooker and couldn't get thefucker open....guests waiting and hammer no help.

• Haha 2

Re-purposing a trash find portable bar valise and filling it with oddities for Darling daughter in law.

She is an academic and will have her PhD soon. This is a gift for her working so hard.

Had to gut it and now lining with antique blue velveteen.

Collecting goodies to put in it. 

A plasma ball, a lavender pointer, a first edition Boston Bartender's Guide, dictionary, magnifying glass, a flask, dry erase pens maybe...

but also a really really nice ink pen.

Does anybody know anything about really nice writing pens and pencils ?

There's a shop in town to drool in but, would be interested in anything anybody knows.

1 hour ago, Sazerac said:

Re-purposing a trash find portable bar valise and filling it with oddities for Darling daughter in law.

Wow, you are so artistically talented.   She will really cherish this!

Hi @Linda Coleman

How are you doing ?  I am so proud of you for quitting smoking.  You are great and I'm so glad you're hanging around for a while.

I've re-purposed a few of these trash finds, little suitcases or hard shell briefcases.  It is really fun.

For daughter's ordination I made an insane one with sacred heart ephemera including tattered statues, plasma ball... It is awesome

I made one for her years ago when she was little.

It was filled with little jars filled with powders and potions, toilet waters that I labeled.

Tincture of Courage, Tincture of Wit, Wisdom,  Power...Powder of Dreams, things like that.

We weren't living together and I wanted to give her all the things a mother gives.

It was beautiful.

Meg will like hers.  I am repairing the books to go in it, now

and researching pens.  It needs to be really something.

• Like 2

I can barely write my name so don't know jack about anything to do with writing utensils but, based on your description of the person and occasion I would say; must be a fountain pen (ball point pen won;t do). Preferably with an ink cartridge or two. Quill pen with bottled ink is nice and retro but would likely not be used. Need to include a rocker-blotter and some fine writing paper. These fine writing papers come bundled in various formats and sizes. There are specialty shops for this stuff and of course, there's always the inter-web but, it would be nice to have some recommendations from those in the know when shopping for stuff like this. All in, it won't be cheap but your don't have to break the bank either to get a nice set of these things.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, reciprocity said:

I can barely write my name so don't know jack about anything to do with writing utensils but, based on your description of the person and occasion I would say; must be a fountain pen (ball point pen won;t do). Preferably with an ink cartridge or two. Quill pen with bottled ink is nice and retro but would likely not be used. Need to include a rocker-blotter and some fine writing paper. These fine writing papers come bundled in various formats and sizes. There are specialty shops for this stuff and of course, there's always the inter-web but, it would be nice to have some recommendations from those in the know when shopping for stuff like this. All in, it won't be cheap but your don't have to break the bank either to get a nice set of these things.

yes for sure a fountain pen and pencil set....

forgot about the rocker blotter and fine writing paper will be just the thing.

There is a great shop down the street.  I experience a lot of lust in places like that.  lol.

Thanks Reci.  Thanks a lot !

• Like 2

Fiddly work on Margaret Mary's Valise.

Figuring out how to hold things in place w/out elastic or velcro,

a series of ties maybe...need to get all the goodies together and see.

Out to fancy paper and pen shop later.  Fun.

• Like 7

Spent the night watching baseball and doing math homework.  Not exactly the sex, drugs, and rock n' roll lifestyle, but it is what it is.

If you are wondering why a guy who hasn't been in school since the nineties was doing math homework...I'm planning a small construction job in my gym.  Looking to build a campus board and expand my pegboard with a horizontal section.  The campus board will be angled at fifteen degrees, so I had to brush up on geometry and trigonometry.

image.png.4cd40fc3eefbbf28206bd0c36968db4b.png

• Haha 3