What's the best christmas gift besides you've ever received?

babs609

Besides the obvious gifts...love, family, health, benefits of quitting smoking...we already know you are grateful for those things that money can't buy. 

This topic is about a gift that was so well thought out and a complete surprise to you that you received on Christmas day.  Yes..I am referring to a gift money DOES buy but it didn't really have to cost a lot to be your most favorite gift.

My dad surprised me with tickets to go with him on a cruise with my sisters and our spouses in 1998.  It was a trip that I will never forget and a complete surprise to us all.  He is passed on now so that's what makes it ever more special.  I hope to do the same for my kids too. 

• Like 8

The small gif my old neighbor (the drunk one from my previous town - She quit drinking!!!) send me through app... a christmas gif, brought tears to my eyes. She still has my ex kitty Lilly :) Monique's doing awesome and to be honest, the biggest gift is I am doing very good too.... lots of external threats that could have knocked me down but didn't :D I'm glad to be alive and being smokefree

• Like 6

If we're talking straight up loot...Christmas of 1989.  My grandfather gave me an old Ford Bronco that he rebuilt himself.  The old man knew his way around a car, so the thing ran as well as anything you could buy brand new and drive straight off the lot in.  He even built a custom roof rack that was perfect for hauling canoes and kayaks on.

Full disclosure...my grandfather did spoil me and my sister.

• Like 7

The gift with great forethought and a total surprise was a diamond tennis bracelet from my husband (now my former husband). Completely uncharacteristic for the both of us and a total delight.

My favorite Christmas was when I was little and my brothers were given bikes. We came downstairs to 3 shiny red bikes and what seemed to be a huge pile of toys under the tree. Magical in a child's eyes.

• Like 4

I got a BB gun and was allowed to shoot it in the garage. It ricocheted all over the place and even broke skin

Of course I didn't wear eye protection either.

Didn't expect it as mom was a spoil sport for fun stuff usually. Saw the movie as an adult and couldn't quit laughing. The dad swearing and little bother (was a little sister in my house) but that movie was my life in the 70's

• Like 6

I've just thought of another omg I'm so lucky, can't believe it present. My beloved Tiny Tears dolly, oh I so loved playing mummy to my dolls. It's so funny as one of my grandparents died have a telephone, didn't want one. So my grandparents wouldn't know what the other was getting me. That year I got two Tiny Tears dolls..twins...went on to have twins, at least I'd had a good few years practise. Was so lucky too as both my nannies would knit the dolls clothes.

• Like 4

Without a shadow of a doubt it was my kittens as an 11 year old child. There was a rule in my house where you ate what was in your stocking for breakfast, normally some fruit and some chocolate...well this year was a tin of cat food and I was outraged that I wasn't eating that. Then went downstairs and a kitten walked into the lounge, then another...I just hugged them and cried. Tom and Jerry, loved those guys so much :) Might buy my kids kittens next year ya know....

• Like 5

Without a shadow of a doubt it was my kittens as an 11 year old child. There was a rule in my house where you ate what was in your stocking for breakfast, normally some fruit and some chocolate...well this year was a tin of cat food and I was outraged that I wasn't eating that. Then went downstairs and a kitten walked into the lounge, then another...I just hugged them and cried. Tom and Jerry, loved those guys so much :) Might buy my kids kittens next year ya know....

Awww how lovely and fab thinking to add the cat food too, I can imagine you thinking..cat food, don't think so..lol

• Like 1

I remember ..I was about 8...getting a pair of roller skates..

Not the fancy ones of today..the big old fashioned heavy ones...I was thrilled....

It wasn't long before I was whizzing all over the place...

Back then...if it didn't fit into a pillow case..you didn't get it...

• Like 4

I remember ..I was about 8...getting a pair of roller skates..

Not the fancy ones of today..the big old fashioned heavy ones...I was thrilled....

It wasn't long before I was whizzing all over the place...

Back then...if it didn't fit into a pillow case..you didn't get it...

I can remember my elders telling me that, they said that you were also so grateful to get an orange in your stocking.

Doreen Roller Stakes..fab present. Got mine at twelve, mind mine were Roller boots (for my birthday) I would imagine I was Torval and Dean (ice skaters) but on stakes..rollling round the pavements. Wasn't it fab when we played out, I want to be able to play out again...lol

• Like 2

Lol..Sharon..so true..a orange..and a small tin of toffees with a little girl on the lid..

Still we were happy...

The kids have heelies now..wow imagine that..skates in your shoes..

You and I should invest..and skate off into the sunrise..xxx

We should Doreen...we most certainly should.

• Like 1

Think I was around 7 or 8 at the time and dad had blocked off the door to half the basement. On Christmas morning he took my brother and I down and opened it up. In side was a model train set all set up with working lights and noises. It took up almost the entire side of the room and we had a blast! Maybe that why I still like trains and want to go on Bats train!

• Like 3

Aww..stewie..what's up doc ?????..you carnt remember..I'm going back 58 odd years..and I remember it well..

I guess my sega genesis when i was really young. I still have the sonic 2 cartridge by my bed. My childhood is there in that cartridge. I reckon life is a non stop losing battle when we lose our innocence and turn adult.

• Like 1

I was ten years old and my parents were recently divorced.  Time were tough and money was tight.  My Mom let my brother and I pick out one thing from the JCPenney catalog and I chose a Philadelphia Eagles watch.  Not sure why I chose that specific team, but I suppose I liked the colors.  This was the most special gift because even at 10 years old, I knew how hard my Mom had to work to buy that watch for me.  I knew how much it meant to her that I was able to get it.  Sadly, that watch is long gone but I remember looking through that thick catalog and how I felt when I opened it Christmas morning.

• Like 3